iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hat and coat rack 2021

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 13, 2021, 10:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I took a LE walnut slab with lots of sapwood and built a small hat and coat rack last year. I tried using a French cleat and I sawed a couple of square edges with my 7-1/4" circle saw which did not work well. Also I used a couple of exposed screws from the top which I did not like. I did sell it last week at the flea market for $40 so all was not lost.

I decided to try again and found a couple of LE 4/4 walnut slabs off a standing dead walnut heart I sawed and milled last year. I cut off a couple of 30" sections and took them out to the mill and sawed a couple of straight edges on them and ran them through the planer. I took a piece of scrap walnut from my square inch prices project that was about 28" X 1" X 2" and planed the rough off it. I drilled it from both sides then this morning I screwed the wide (2") width flush against the back/bottom of the piece I am using for a shelf using 2-1/2" torque bit screws and some locktite III glue. Then I screwed the narrow (1") part of the strip to the back for rack using 1-1/2" torque bit screws and glue. In both cases the screws were just short of coming through the top and front which I felt was perfect. You can see them from the back but not once the shelf/rack is hung so this is a step in the right direction.

Next I took another 28" piece of 4/4 walnut scrap about 4" wide and planed then sawed it in half at a 45* angle for my French cleat. I stumbled and fumbled a bit with that. First I connected the cleat to the shelf too low so I removed it and relocated it higher up against the 1X2 holding the two parts together. I liked the looks and stability of that better. I found I had hung the cleat facing the wrong direction so I had to remove it, wipe the glue off and reverse it. When finished I wiped everything good with tung oil and added 3 metal hooks I had previously bought from Lowes. The screws that came with the hooks are 1.5" long and extend through to back where the cleat is so I will either have to replace them with shorter screws or tell the customer who buys it to loosen them 1/2" hang the rack on the cleat then re-tighten. That would not be a bad final solution. I checked all my fastener stock but did not have any 1" black screws and felt silver or brass would look out of place here.

Front with the hooks in place before I mounted them. This is where they are now too.  Metal hooks for coats and caps.

View from the top. Shelf for hats and such.

View of the back with French cleat. The piece that hangs on the wall is at the bottom with a couple of 3" screws. When mounted the angle opens outward and the angle on the back of the rack slips tightly down into it.

I'll price this at $100 and see if it sells at the Fairgrounds flea market Saturday or our local flea market Sunday. This will likely be my last trip to the flea market selling this season unless I do real well. I still plan or setting up a sawing demo there in a few weeks.

I need to buy some hooks or get back with my blacksmith friend and see what he has and I may make some more of these. I like the overall look and it does not take that long to make one.

I just wish I had to skill or patience to do better finish work. Better yet I wish I had a helper to do such finish work. I wonder if I can work a deal with the local high school where I could tap into some "slave labor" there. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Larry

I made coat racks a few years ago.

I glued this one to the side of the fridge in the shop.

They sold really well, for two reasons.  The peg makes it super easy to hang coats and any hat.  The second reason is I had a girl that sold them in the big craft fairs....she could sell anything!

I got tired of making them, but I still get calls for one once in awhile.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV Sawmiller

Larry,

Pretty neat. How do you make the pegs? Are the just glued into the mortise or do you wedge them somehow? Did you ever make any with a shelf too or just the hangers? 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Larry

I make the pegs on the lathe.  Its called two axis turning.  I can make one and sand it in about 3 minutes or less.  The pegs are just glued into a mortise.  I never put a shelf on.  The look I was after is arts and crafts cloud lift.  It sold so I never tried anything else....don't change a winning game.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

kantuckid

Also how to turn a wooden tool handle like an axe or sledge, etc.. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!