iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Movable firewood shed

Started by Wlmedley, December 30, 2022, 08:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley

Needing something to keep me busy this winter so decided to build a small firewood shed that I can hopefully sell upon completion.Got the idea from OGH.Can't get to far away from the house as my wife can't be left alone because of health problems so decided to build it on concrete pad between house and garage which I think will work out good. I also have a small open backyard shelter where I can do my cutting and keep tools out of the weather.Have never built anything that I was planning on moving so trying to make it sturdy enough.This one is going to be 5'x8' and would be considered a one cord shed.I see similar Amish built sheds listed for $1500 to $2600 but am thinking I can sell cheaper as I plan on keeping track of expenses for hardware and roofing and need a use for my lumber.So far I have floor built on three treated 4"x4"s which should be the only lumber I buy.Glued and blocked between floor joists.Using 1" white oak for floor boards.Everything else will be pine and poplar.Don't really know what to price it at when finished.Already have a person interested and I just want something to do but would like to make a little bit to upkeep sawmill and tools.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Resonator

I've built several small moveable structures, have a basic plan in place how it will be loaded and hauled when complete. I built mine small enough I could lift them with the forks on my tractor, to move it. Also I built them on beam runners so it could be pulled like a sled, with heavy steel "D" rings bolted on near the ends of the runners. These also served as tie down points when securing it to a trailer.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Wlmedley

Resonator, thanks for the input.Not sure how heavy it will end up being but size will fit on my trailer.I need to fabricate something to fasten on ends of 4"x4"s to hook to so I can pull it.Now would probably be the best time to do it.Like you said,will use as tie downs also.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Ljohnsaw

Drill a hole 3 to 4 inches in from the end through al three runners.  Slide a pipe through sticking out a couple inches each side.  Run a rope or cable around the pipe on each outside runner to make a bridle to tow.  I would thread the rope/cable such that it catches the pipe on each side of the runner.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

newoodguy78

I've built quite a few moveable buildings that size or larger as outbuildings on farms for livestock. Not that they couldn't just as easily hold firewood.
Just a couple things I've noticed. One is make sure the sidewalls are fastened really well to the deck. Two is anywhere and in any direction you can incorporate diagonal bracing it's time and material well  spent.  Both help prevent racking while being moved.
For the ones that were gonna be skidded I took a cable went from the front to the back right in the center and wrapped around around either a pipe or beam that spanned the full width of the building. That way as it was pulled the pressure and force is spread across the entire building. This system held up very well.

One thing I would really recommend is don't short yourself when it comes to price. Just about anyone can build a moveable building and have it look good when it's done. Far fewer people can build one that looks good after years of actually being moved. Those that can should be compensated for it more than the others otherwise you're just wearing out tools. I've shorted myself building things and it can take the pleasure out of it quick if you aren't careful.

firefighter ontheside

Looks good so far.  I've built a small shed about 4x6 and I'm planning to move it today.  I built it to be moved with my front loader.  I think it will work.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

I also suppose it matters what you have to move it with.  I have a SkyTrak and I was able to move my 8x14 truck box!

As far as pay goes, I do odd jobs and the guy I do quite a bit of work for was paying $25/hr.  Last spring he said I need to get $35 since things cost more.  Wasn't going to argue.  He had me build him two 10x12 shed/offices in the last month or so (started after the snow shut me down up the hill).  He has a business where all his workers are remote with him and his wife managing it.  Just have to hang the split system outside units tomorrow when the rain quits.  Lots of scope creep but it all pays the same!  Looking at $6,500 in labor.  Did you know concrete is now $180/yard!!!
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

newoodguy78

Valid point on how its planned to be moved. Certainly needs to be thought about ahead of time. 

firefighter ontheside

This little shed is modeled after something Jeff has in his yard.  It will house my blades and probably long handled garden tools to get all that out of my garage.  The move went pretty easily.  Was a little scary at one point where my driveway is tilted.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

QuoteThis little shed is modeled after something Jeff has in his yard.

That would of course be his "Slanty Shanty". ;D

newoodguy78

Those are classy. Reminds me of member curved woods style. 

firefighter ontheside

Yep.  That would be the one.  Mine won't be quite as neat.  No vent pipe.  It does have a door now.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Wlmedley

That's a nice shed! Another idea.I only have a small farm tractor but have several snatch blocks and heavy ramps so that's what I'll have to use to get it on trailer if it sells.I plan on putting several diagonal braces in walls.I have plenty of lumber if nothing else  :laugh:

WV Sawmiller

Bill,

I don't know if this applies to what you are doing but I build bus stops and composting toilets and sometimes sheds that are 4' square. I build them in 6 sections to keep the weight down as I only have a small tractor and FEL that will not lift a completed/assembled structure.

Here is a base/floor unit for one and another with the framework for the sides. I will add the siding later. The sides are pre-fabbed and lag screwed to the base then together and then I slip a 6X6 metal roof on top and screw it to the slanted sides shown on the framing here.

Each piece is light enough I can move it and load it on a pick up or trailer for transport then quickly assemble the pieces on site.

Could you pre-fab parts on yours for easier transportation?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Wlmedley

Howard ,that might be my best option but this first one I am going to completely assemble here sort of like a model so I can see how much material it takes and get an idea how to price it.Also I would like to see how much interest ,if any,it will generate.Most people don't realize how much time and materials are needed even for a small projects like these.Figured if had one built I could always modify plans on next one to what someone would rather have. Thanks for the input!

WV Sawmiller

Bill,

I completely concur but if you want to be able to disassemble and move it keep that in mind in your construction. 

I was looking at my shooting house today and noted how it had less framing than my composting toilets because I built it on site and did not prefab it so the framing in the corners did double duty. Making it as a kit would have to keep that in mind and I'd be using more materials so building a prototype makes good sense. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Wlmedley

Just figured a lumber list for shed construction and at $.75 a bf for my lumber plus three treated 4x4s I bought lumber comes to $405.Will have to add shingles and price of screws.Prices of Amish built sheds might not be as high as I thought especially the $1400 one.Think I can still keep price below $1000 as I don't think people around here would spend a whole lot for a shed.I'll work pretty cheap as long as I can stay close to the house  :laugh:

firefighter ontheside

I wasn't certain if I was going to be able to lift and carry this thing, so I did build it on two treated 4x4 skids.  I had someone come to buy some wood a couple weeks ago and they were very excited about the shed when they saw it.  Someday I may build one with the idea in mind of selling it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Wlmedley

Been working on shed a little.Hopefully tomorrow I can get rafters notched and fastened.They're just laying up there now so I could cover with a tarp.I did a more accurate lumber list and found I'll be using 478bf.Looked up weigh of lumber in toolbox and if it was all poplar it comes to 1536lbs.A square of shingles will add more weigh.Along with fasteners should be a little less than 2000lbs.More than I expected but should be able to haul it if I can get it on trailer.I guess if it was easy everybody would want to do it  :laugh:

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Wlmedley on January 04, 2023, 09:32:50 PMif it was all poplar it comes to 1536lbs
Is that green weight?  That seems pretty heavy for dry lumber for what it is.
John Sawicky

Old Greenhorn

Hmmm, you made me go and check my mill lists for our sheds. I forgot what size yours is. For our 4x10 I mill 495BF, for the 6x10 I mill 556BF and for the 8x10 I mill 576 (That don't sound right, may be off). That is milled lumber before cutting to build. 
 Of course, your farming is defend than ours, your deck is more complex, but your walls are simpler. Our deck is 3 runners of 6x6 hemlock decked with 6/4 hemlock boards. We do the standard stub walls on 24" centers (or 16, depending on mood, conversations, and random opinions  :D). We use metal roofing, it's lighter and much quicker to install. How big is that header? Ours is 3x8, your looks massive. ;D
 The guys just built another 6x10 yesterday because it rained and they got the whole thing done in a day. Easy to pickup with just the toolcat. We keep saying we will do them as prefab and assemble on site, but the guys keep building them complete and putting them on a trailer. The furthest delivery has been 10 miles away and I think that was the 4x8.

Yours is looking pretty  darn good. What kind of bed/base are you gonna set it on? We put in a graded crushed stone pad, it's fast and gives good drainage over our very rocky soils here.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Wlmedley

Lumber weigh is for green wood but it is not nearly finished.I am going to sheet roof with 1" poplar and put poplar on walls.Also add top plate and braces on rear wall.I figured weigh and bf on finished project.Size is 5'x8' but am planning to put 1' overhang on sides and what ever 8' 2"x6"s will give me on front and back.

Resonator

Weight shouldn't be as big a factor if your not using tractor loader forks to lift it.
My thoughts as a former truck driver it would be a good time to check the structure height + trailer deck height, to get overall clearance (just in case you need to know it). Also when it comes time to haul, you'll want to watch how the wind effects it (may have to add a tie down strap as needed) and how the shingles behave. Often they will nail a 1x board along the edge of the roof, to keep the wind from catching them.

Wlmedley

Tom,header is double 2"x10"s and I guess who ever buys it will decide what to set it on but I agree crushed stone would be nice.I probably went overkill on build but I have plenty of lumber and figured better safe than sorry.Board footage is based on lumber I will use and there is some waste but not much.

Ianab

Quote from: Resonator on January 04, 2023, 10:26:28 PMMy thoughts as a former truck driver it would be a good time to check the structure height + trailer deck height, to get overall clearance (just in case you need to know it)

A standard shipping container is about 8'6" tall. Most roads are good for that on top of a regular truck deck. So if you stuck to that you should be pretty safe.   But it IS good to know,  you don't want to be the next star of those 11'8" bridge videos. :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

firefighter ontheside

If you're not selling this one, then overkill on structural members isn't a big deal, but if you want to build some in the future to sell, I would not overkill on those.  The weight difference could be substantial and could be the difference between a customer being able to move it or not.  

Back in the 80s I used to help my dad build houses in the summer.  They built houses then without plywood sheeting on the walls.  We used a steel rack brace that was cut into the studs on an angle and then foam sheeting was nailed on over that.  I don't think anyone builds like that anymore and I don't know if those rack braces are still availaable, but something like that could help with rigidity without adding a lot of weight.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

Any idea what those various shed sizes you mention are selling for at your site (Sans delivery)?
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

I have no idea Howard, but I can try to check, it will just take a few days. I am curious myself. ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Wlmedley

Got a little more done today.Tied walls together with a top plate,added a couple studs under header,notched and installed rafters.Don't have enough sheeting to cover roof if I put a 1' overhang on sides,which I plan to do,so I carried sheeting over from the lumber shed and laid on roof so I could cover with tarp.Shame I didn't have 10' sheeting.Another lesson learned.Got some more pine logs so I'll cut some more.Supposed to maybe snow some. I need a break anyway.Didn't realize I was getting so feeble.I think carrying lumber so far is what wore me out.As good as excuse as any  :laugh:

Wlmedley

Firefighter,I used those metal braces when I built my house and the reason was foam insulation board supposedly has more insulation value than plywood and they eliminated putting plywood in corners.Insulation board actually cost more than plywood at that time.Also measured height on shed and it's 8' 2".

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 05, 2023, 09:57:13 AM...
  Any idea what those various shed sizes you mention are selling for at your site (Sans delivery)?
Howard, checked yesterday and we get about 4,500 for the 4x10, delivery/install is extra because every delivery is very different and requires different methods/materials. This makes us a lot more pricey than the local Amish barn seller at about 2,400. But their barns use 4x4 material as the largest element, have only a single wall, not the inner wall like we do and are quite a bit more 'delicate' for moving. We use 6x6 runners (hemlock), 6/4 decking (hemlock), 6x6 front posts, 4x6 rear posts, and a 3x8 header. We use timberlocks on the front framing with lap joints. In short, ours is a lot more robust (IMHO). 4 built, 3 delivered so far, and our clients are very pleased. We can now build one complete in a normal day, but we haven't 'tooled up for it' yet, we use a timbersaw, circ saw, and hand power tools and air nailer. A decent miter saw with long table would save us a lot of time. Our limiting factor are: A)  Available labor time, and 2) The sawyer we have is old, slow, and grumpy. :D :D ;D
 So Wlmedley, how is your progress coming along? I'm really interested to see how it turns out.

Wlmedley

Tom,got far enough along to cover it up with tarp so I can take my time on it.Need to cut a little more sheeting for roof and I've got some poplar logs I'm going to cut for siding.I'll post some pictures whenever I make a little more progress.Slow but sure.Trying to do an extra good job on this one as it may lead to other jobs such as garden sheds,or other small outbuildings.I'm better at this kind of thing than woodworking like some of the rest of you guys do.

Wlmedley

Got a rare day today without rain so worked on shed.Got sheeting on roof and fascia boards on.Used pine for sheeting and poplar for fascia.Thought I would get underlayment on roof but was worn out so I pulled tarp back over it.Maybe later in the week when my back and shoulder quit hurting  :laugh:

Wlmedley

Still working on shed when weather permits.Decided to put board and batten siding on walls.Was going to use slats like OGH had on the one they built but as slow as I'm going someone might want it for another use. I could put doors on it if needed.Anyway I'll show it to a few people and if they want it different I can build another as long as they aren't in a big hurry.Not going to sell as cheap as I first thought so I might be stuck with it but that's okay too.Maybe give someone ideas what they can build with rough lumber and sell some.Still need to rip some battens and decide whether to use shingles or metal on roof.

WV Sawmiller

Bill.

Instead of doors how about using curtains? You could even use some of the shade material that would allow air flow but reduce rain or snow blowing in.
Howard Green

Wlmedley

Curtains would be nice if end use is for firewood.I need some now for the shed I keep lumber in but really don't know how to secure them and where to buy any. I guess you would use some sort of rings like a shower curtain but top and bottom would have to be secure because of wind.

WV Sawmiller

Bill.

Yeah I was still thinking this was just a firewood shed. Of course I thought I was making a school bus stop then suddenly people started wanting composting toilets and such.

I'm thinking with curtains you could attach weights to the bottoms.
Howard Green

Wlmedley

Finally took tarp off shed project for good.Put felt on roof a couple days ago and being it was 70 degrees today I decided to put shingles on.One square of shingles and I'm worn out.Poplar siding is drying some and cracks between boards are opening up.I'll put battens on before long.Going to price it at $1200.I think that's a fair price which I would be happy with but if I can't get it I'll just keep it up here. :laugh:

WV Sawmiller

Beautiful work. How heavy is it now with the shingle roof and such? How will you move it?

Does the bench stay with the shed? :D
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Nicely done. You really made that come out well, with no shortcuts. With just the addition of doors it would make a nice tool shed. However, I really think you price is too low, by quite a bit. I would put that up in or above the 2,500 range easily. Just think of the wood value alone you have in there.
 Pretty shed, for sure.

Wlmedley

Howard ,I estimate weight at around 2000 lbs.I used forum toolbox to get green wood weigh and used poplar weigh even though floor is white oak and framing is pine.As far as moving it I think with two or three snatch blocks I can get it drug up on trailer.Who ever bought it would have to have a way to pull it off.Tom, I would love to price it higher but people around here either don't have much money or if they do they don't like to part with it . I priced all lumber I used at 750mbf which is what I have been selling pine and poplar.So along with screws,treated skids,shingles and lumber I have around $650 in it.$550 for labor would be working pretty cheap but I kind of enjoyed working on it and it would be extra money for me to play with. I also thought if I could sell this I might build something different next time to make it interesting 🤔 

Wlmedley

Howard,I forgot to answer bench question.I would throw in bench is someone would give me Tom's suggested retail price  :laugh:

WV Sawmiller

Bill,

You can cut some small buckeye or other trash trees for rollers in addition to the snatchblocks. I have hooked a snatch block to the trailer and the front to the item to load then tied the to a stump or such and back up and rolled/slid logs and sheds and such on trailers like you seem to be describing.

I know what you mean on the price and our area. I figure my typical price for lumber and hardware and such then double that if I build something with it. That may be a little on the low side but lots of time I can use up lumber that is not moving and salvage short pieces and such that I could not sell. I'm probably not valuing my time enough but for me a lot of it is hobby rather than required income like some younger members here on the FF.

The next one will be easier to build because of what you learned building this one. Good luck on a quick sale.
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Bill I hear you on the regional pricing thing, I really really do. Howard and I have had this conversation several times. I get it.  Try this, go search around and see if there is a baby barn company, or somebody that sells Amish small buildings in your area and see their pricing. We have one here in town and our sheds are a little bit more on the sale price, but our sheds are different and delivered and installed by somebody folks already do business with (us). If something goes wrong, or a board breaks, we fix it. No big deal. The Amish shed dealers are really another big box store, they sell what they sell and they are done. We don't do that. 
 When you sell that thing, it will be to someone who really wants it and should appreciate it. He/she will probably be proud to have it too. Something special nobody else could find. Hopefully his/her neighbor sees it and want one too.
 But yeah, I get it. My nice cherry benches would fetch about $750  or more if they were in a shop in NYC, but up here, just 2 hours north I am lucky to get 275-350 at best. It's VERY frustrating.

trapper

Old Greenhorn Price it at the $750 and advertise in NYC.  Youkon delivered some of his rustic furniture from Missouri to Milwaukee Wi.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Wlmedley

Hopefully this project is finished.Put battens on today and fun factor is pretty well gone.Arthritis takes away the joy I used to get by doing stuff like this even though I do enjoy sitting on the back porch and looking at it.Even if I do get asking price I don't think I'll build another and if it doesn't sell I'll probably put doors on it and use it as a tool shed and fill it with junk  :laugh:

WV Sawmiller

Bill,

It sure looks good. I hope it sells soon and for your price. What kind of good advertising sources do you have around there? Around here I'd post in our local trader papers and you could post pictures on the boards at TSC or Rural King if nearby.

What would bring the fun back to make you build another one or two? Is swinging the hammer the issue? Maybe a pneumatic or electric nailer would make the difference in changing your mind. You know the next one will be easier because of everything you learned with this one.

Keep us posted. :)
Howard Green

Wlmedley

Howard,sorry about my negative attitude in my post. I didn't use any nails when building shed except when installing felt and shingles.I've always enjoyed driving nails but screws now make the job easier (but more costly).As far as advertising I'm hoping to put up a few pictures maybe at the barbershop and local outdoor power equipment shop and see what happens.Have reason to be happy today.We are getting a bunch of rain and the roof doesn't leak  :)

Resonator

You can post an ad on craigslist for free. Just make sure you don't take a check for $10,000, and then write them a check from your bank for the overpayment. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!