iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Billy Goat or Similar?

Started by YellowHammer, January 06, 2023, 10:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I bought a Billie Goat trash vacuum, chip mulcher and tin can shredder and it lasted about 5 minutes before it had a belt failure that required removing the engine, impeller and drive system to replace.  The Billy Goat is on wheels and is self propelled.  So I took it back.

Does anybody have any experience with these things or a similar contraption?  Did I just get a lemon or are they generally a longer and more reliable machine?  Or is there a better alternative?  I want to mulch hundreds of pounds of leaves, twigs, debris under the sawmill, edger output and whatever else it would suck up.  Basically a self propelled mulcher vacuum.      
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

sawguy21

Was it new? Used? A demo? I sold Billy Goat in a previous life, found customers were very satisfied with them as long as they were properly set up and used with reasonable care.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

YellowHammer

Nice.  It was brand new with self propel option.  I pulled it from the box, and ran it for maybe 5 minutes and the drive belt from the motor shaft to the self propel gearbox shredded.  I can only assume it was factory installed wrong, not sure how or why, so I figured I'd get another belt and put it on.  How hard could that be?  I pulled out the manual and it said in broad statements, "Remove gearbox and transmission.  Remove engine.  Remove impeller and shroud.  Replace belt.  Reassemble."  Sure...or just put it in the truck and take it back, which is what I did.  

So I started thinking even if the belt died three years from now, it would be a nightmare to replace. I mean who designs things like this? I wasn't sure if I even wanted to exchange with a new one. I have no experience with them so wasn't sure if they are el cheapo or good stuff.

How long do drive belts normally last?  Is there an easier way to change them?  Was this a fluke, or is a common issue?

It seemed like a good machine, but that sure wasn't a good start.  

Is there one model that seems to be the best or most reliable in their line up? 

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Walnut Beast

! Sounds crazy! But have you tried your excavator mulcher

Bruno of NH

The truck mount units are great lots of guys use them around the area for spring and fall clean up.
The only issue I hear about are the impeller wearing out from picking up driveway gravel when cleaning up .
I don't know much about the self-propelled units.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

I would think it would last a season or 2. I don't know about it.
Return it, get your $$ back, and find one that's easier to work on.
Good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Stephen1

I looked at something similar, a bearcat, a couple of years ago, I didn't like the price. The same week a small 5horse Yard Machine vacuum chipper came up for sale $400, it was brand new only about 10 years old. It started it on the second pull, so I brought it home and been running it ever since cleaning my parking lot and shop. It says it will chip 3", not sure about that, as it doesn't like broken dry pine stickers, but the vacuum works great, sucks up bark and small sticks and all the sawdust, after shovelling up the piles from the mill. It does a great job on cleaning the parking lot , versus using the blower. 
Now I am trying to figure out to rig a portable blower to the mill to send the sawdust to the big 4x4x4 ULINE bags. right now we shovel the sawdust in and haul it away to my property to build a noise berm against the noisy motor cycles that go by my place all summer. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Tom King

I have a Billygoat 13hp blower, and the blower has been flawless.  I did wear out the motor that came on it after about 15 years, and replaced it with a Honda.

I used to let the guys that worked for me take it to town and make what money they could with it on weekends for themselves.

I used it last week.

YellowHammer

I hadn't heard of Bearcat, I'll look at theirs.  Looking at their it website it looks like a competitor to Billy Goat and I'll look at the Yard Machine as well.

I'll look at the blowers too, but I'm looking for some "Suck" as well, for cleaning up the inside of our work buildings like a large rolling vacuum or small Zamboni as well as with a hose kit so I can suck up the big debris under the mill and the edger that the dust collectors don't get.

Of course I'm also looking for it to mulch up lots of hardwood leaves and general lawn maintenance.  Now I blow them off the driveways and parking areas and they just blow back on again.  Or I mow them and make an even bigger mess.

I got my money back and have about $2K or maybe $4K if I can find something that's good and will last a long time.    
YellowHammerisms:

Tom King

Using these blades on my mower, I end up having very few leaves to blow.  It shreds them down to 1/4" pieces and throws them out to the side.  To completely clear an area down to bare ground, I just go over them several times continuing to throw the pieces to the side.  It ends up being a lot less work sitting in the seat than using even the walk behind blower to deal with them, and the pile gets smaller rather than continuing to build up, and a 6' swath at the time is not bad.

I couldn't find exactly the blade I use on this 72" deck, but they're similar to these.  They have one mulching tooth, and a good sized high lift wing on the end, so it's really a combination blade.

Around the house, the only blowing I do now, since buying this mower, is to get them out of the flower beds and away from the house enough so I can get to them with the mower.

We have several acres that need to be cleared of leaves from very large Oak trees, so this is not the typical half acre lot to deal with leaves on.

Xtreme® Blade for 42-inch Cutting Decks - 742P05177A-X | Cub Cadet US

Prior to getting this mower, I was looking for an excuse to get one of these, but have no need for it now.
https://www.scag.com/product/stand-on-blowers/windstorm/

Old Greenhorn

Robert, Robert, Robert! Bearcat is a forum Sponsor. smiley_devilish Link to the left. That link bring one to their YT page, which I found not helpful. THIS LINK should be more helpful ;D.

I had an old unit like these (1970's vintage, different mfg, made for hard surfaces) and I found an important consideration, for me, was better tires on the front to keep it from sucking right down to the ground, and some adjustment on the front height to allow for rougher terrain. I note some of the bearcat units have a hose connection right on the front chute, which I would have found very handy, but it looks like only 4" hose.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Tom King

Will those Bearcat vacuums get up Acorns?  My biggest "yardwork" issue right now is getting up about an acre and a half of acorns.  My Snapper Hi-Vac will get them up, but the area is too large for that to be the easiest solution, and I'm afraid it's too much wear and tear on a lawnmower for that.

Tom King

Here's a couple of pictures of what those mower blades do to leaves.  Of course, you can't let them get too thick before going over them with the mower at 1-1/2", but this was after three passes this Fall with what is left of all the leaves from a couple of large Pin Oaks, and two fairly large White Oaks.

I'm trying to get Bermuda grass to grow over part of our crusher run driveway that doesn't get used much.  By this Spring, this will be a thin layer of rich dirt.

sawguy21

We had trained mechanics set up our equipment before delivery, most needed some adjustment before being test run to avoid these kinds of problems. The mass retailers and online sellers are not equipped to do that. Next time have the dealer do that and save yourself some grief.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

YellowHammer

I actually, I really didn't know what Bearcat did...even though they were a sponsor.  If it had been a snake it would have bit me. ::) ::)  I will look at them.  I like that they have 3 speeds and are used commercially. 

Tom, the mulching looks good with those blades.

YellowHammerisms:

Machinebuilder

For leaves I have a set of Gator blades on my Scag.
they are a high lift blade (mulching), I Leave the deck at my normal 3.5" height and as long as the leaves aren't too wet there is nothing left to see after 2 passes.
If they are really dry the dust is pretty bad.

I usually finish leaves just before Christmas, some of the oaks hang on till then.

Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Tom King

Do the Gator blades throw it all out the chute?  In that picture with the Farm Use car, it was over around where that car is parked that I threw that leaf litter from.  You can see how clean it left the ground on the driveway and under the trees.  I do it when it's dry, but wait for a strong wind to be blowing in the right direction.  No close neighbors, and we're on top of a hill surrounded by a fairly good sized body of water, so when we get wind we really get it.

I've only had this mower for one season now, and only been through two pairs of blades.  It came with high lift blades, and the extra set I ordered with the mower just happened to be those combination blades.

The combination blades leave bare ground.  I only need one set of blades per season.  Those combo blades from the dealer are a little over $100 a set, and the Gators are $87 online.  Not a lot of difference, but I'm satisfied with keeping those combo blades on there all the time.  

All our grass here is warm weather grass, so I never cut any of it over 2" high.  I didn't even try the leaves at a higher setting, since what it was already set at was doing such a good job when I first tried it.

Just need something to get all the acorns up.

Machinebuilder

Yes the gator blades throw it all out the chute, If its dry enough to lift them.

They have a hardened edge so the last a long time and don't seem to get as dented when I hit rocks etc.
I have a 72" deck with 3 blades, I forgot what the cost was. I'll sharpen them once or twice per year and they last several years.

They squirrels take care of most of the acorns.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

gspren

All of this is interesting, especially the Gator Blades for leaf mulching. Do you use the same blades all year mulching and mowing grass? When I had the farms I had 30 acres of woods but it didn't border the yard so the few yard trees I could just wait till the fields were picked and blow it out of the yard. Now I only have a half acre or less of woods but it's part of a large woodlot and borders my yard on the long side and the woods is on the uphill side, I get a LOT of leaves. I have a Ferris Z-turn with 52" deck, would the Gator Blades be a good all season blade?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

YellowHammer

I'm wondering if they would fit a Kubota Zero Turn.  

There is a Bearcat dealer not too far away from me, I may go visit.  
YellowHammerisms:

btulloh

Gator blades are available for just about everything.  Several other choice for mulching blades also.  You may want to add the kubota mulching rings under the deck, or maybe not. I kinda split the difference and installed a gate on the discharge from Qwik Chute. Works well. Closed for better mulching, open full for blowing, half open for normal mowing. Mulching most of the leaves and pruning debris saves me a ton of time. And labor!

I have to report though - the lawn service that does some my neighbors uses Scag ztrs and those mowers rock when it comes to mulching. And they are using standard blades. 
HM126

btulloh

Although I just use my ztr for blowing leaves and then do the corners with a regular leaf blower, I want to get a big blower like a bearcat or billygoat. Something in the 15ih HP range. Would help with the larger open areas. Wouldn't mind having a PTO driven blower like they use on the fairways, but that's way too much money for me. 

The sales guy at my Kubota dealer came up with a neat trick. He uses his zero turn to push the wheeled blower in front of the mower. He just fabbed up some kind of rack or something to fasten the blower up front. Makes it very convenient and agile. 

The vacuum type that YH started this thread off with sounds pretty interesting.  I'm curious to see where that leads. I didn't know the vacuum units could mulch up sticks and debris, so that could be a big timesaver. 

popcorn_smiley
HM126

Southside

Clearly I am the resident redneck.  I just turn some cows loose on the lawn for an hour of so whenever it needs it, take 5 minutes with a manure fork after and I am done.  Have not started the mower for over two years.  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Let not forget YH is looking or a vac system to clean under the mill and use as a push pick-up vac to clean his shop and retail barn.
I imagine something quick and simple so after he stocks his retail barn he can buzz around and clean up before he opens.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Tom King

I think they make Gator blades to fit about any mower.  They aren't always listed for specific mowers though.  I found them by length, thickness, and bolt hole size.

My Wife bought a handheld Eco blower, and that thing surprised me.  It's not even the strongest one, and has a low amp hour battery which doesn't last that long.  I intend to get the strongest model with the largest battery next Fall.  Leaves are done this year, and they may have a newer model by then.

The Billygoat 13hp on wheels is a Strong tool.  I bought it used from a rental place in the mid '90's.  They had rented it twice.  One lady couldn't start it, and the other lady blew some Boxwoods out of the ground that she had just planted.  

They also make a self-propelled one.   Self-propelled with larger wheels would be good.

There are no belts to worry about on the wheeled blower.  The impeller just bolts onto the motor shaft.  We wore out the first motor, and it was a simple swap to another motor.

Thank You Sponsors!