iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Raising a Cross

Started by Magicman, February 27, 2024, 04:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This morning at 8:30 the actual raising was done but prep work has been going on for a few months.  I believe that this is the 13th such Cross to be erected in Mississippi and @150 feet, it is the tallest.  The framework structure is done which is then clad with white metal roofing type material.  This morning's activity entailed hoisting the top portion onto the already erected lower framework and bolting it together. 

IMG_5238.JPG
A special harness was attached to the Cross' framework.
IMG_5243.JPG
And then it was slowly raised to an upright position.
IMG_5244~0.JPG
The crane operator is doing his job.
IMG_5245.JPG
Slowly but surely making the lift.
IMG_5246.JPG
The actual lifting has been done.
IMG_5247.JPG
So now two "man lifts" go into action with workers guiding the top portion onto and into the lower portion.
IMG_5249.JPG
After which the two sections were bolted together.  Now the crews can place the cladding over the two portions of the "arms" and the remainder of the base.  Their completion target was this week.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

That's an impressive feet to accomplish, it'll be seen from long distance as well as up close.

Thanks for posting, Lynn!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

doc henderson

will be much nicer than a wind turbine off in the distance.  very nice.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

There's a similar cross in Effingham Illinois, right next to the crossroads of I57 and I70. I remember seeing it back in my truck driving days. That one is just under 200 feet tall, any taller and they would have to put aircraft warning lights on it.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Ron Scott

~Ron

Magicman

I am anxious to see it tomorrow and see if they are progressing on putting the remaining cladding on.  It will have flood lights and benches in the little park at the base of the Cross.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

MM
Is there some kind of competition or meaning to have or to erect a bigger cross ?? Just wondering.. Anyone know?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

No competition that I am aware of nor reason thereof.  I would say that the height is determined by the location but of course the budget would have to enter into the equation at some point.  This one was sized for visibility along the highway and also from Interstate 55.  It is in a very good location.

Magicman

Marty and his crew were voluntarily placing electrical conduit this morning so I made a visit:IMG_5328.JPG
This is for the flood/spot lights that will be at the base of the Cross.

IMG_5329.JPG
There is still lotsa work to be done but it is progressing nicely.

moodnacreek

Couldn't have that in N.Y., might offend somebody. [but I like it]

SwampDonkey

That's quite a project to undertake.

Most rural communities up this way have abandoned churches standing empty. Many were never maintained, no money for it. If you look way back in books documenting collections each week, there wasn't much money. Once in awhile someone would pass their savings onto a church when they died if they had no family. Then they could do a few things. None had money to erect monuments.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

100% of this project has and is being donated.  I was told yesterday that this was the 14th such Cross in Mississippi that the crane operator has erected.   It also was the heaviest and beyond the crane's listed capability.  The operator had to override the automated limit function and raise it by the seat of his pants.

doc henderson

poss. divine intervention.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

Makes a good recovery video if it doesn't work. But Doc likely pegged it.  ffcheesy
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Resonator

QuoteThe operator had to override the automated limit function and raise it by the seat of his pants.
That is literally what a good operator does.
They can sense any movement in the stability of the machine (if it feels lighter in the tail end), and any feedback the controls give him when he goes to lift. The crane has the most lifting strength when the load is right next to the machine and the boom is most vertical (often there will be an angle gauge with a plumb bob built it). If it has to reach out horizontally away from the crane too far, it can get into trouble. Also the load has to be directly in line with the boom, not off to the side. If not it could put a heavy sideways load on the boom, and that can be an unforgiveable sin.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!