iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storm door rant....

Started by kwendt, January 04, 2015, 06:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwendt

Really? I need two new storm doors on my farm ranch house. Okay.... So go to a big box store to do a little research...pricing.... Do you know that a solid core, aluminum door with glass window and retractable sceen.... That won't blow away in the winter winds... Costs $299? EACH. And that's not E glass, or fancy custom color or with tax. Dang it! That's $600 dollars I could use towards my chipper or mulcher, post hole auger.... Rant rant! I had no idea them things were so expensive! .....sigh.... thank you for letting me share.....!
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My power steering went out on my backhoe 3 weeks ago and cost me $636.00 to get it fixed.
Thats $636.00 I could have spent on a new screen door from a big box store.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kwendt

@POSTONLT40HD ! So funny you are!  Chuckle chuckle....
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

That's why I get all my doors off CL or the Habitat Re-Stores. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sandhills

Nah he's not being funny, he'd of only paid $300 for it  :)

Brucer

Poston's like that. If you ignore him, he won't go away :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Corley5

Yup, spent all those $$$ on a fancy Pella storm door with the full length glass and screen and then on it's first day of life in its new home the Pug runs clean through the screen  Sigh.....  I should have spent the money on diesel and hydraulic oil  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Don_Papenburg

I remember when I was a kid they just started putting them aluminum storm doors on the houses . Threw away the old wooden storm doors that had been on the old houses for eons.  then in less than ten years the aluminum ones were bent broke trashed beyond repair.
they started putting the "insulated " storm doors on  and in ten or less years the panels started puffing up and" white rust " would push out and the doors were trash . 
the last of the old wooden storm doors were still hanging in there .

Build a wooden storm door  that will last and cost a forth of the cheap aluminum doors
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

kwendt

@Corley5 , I am so with you!  Just add blacksmith coal to that list! 😜

kwendt

Gosh, @clww you totally nailed me. I was at a clearance store today looking at two Pella doors! Custom returns.... Cheap, I don't mind a few scratches. But I'm in Florida right now, over 1,000 miles away....lol!

kwendt

@Don_Papenburg , a wooden storm door? There's a thought. Wouldn't they swell and get stuck? Why don't they make wood ones anymore? Termites?

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: kwendt on January 05, 2015, 12:13:19 AM
@Don_Papenburg , a wooden storm door? There's a thought. Wouldn't they swell and get stuck? Why don't they make wood ones anymore? Termites?
The thing is, around here, the storm door would swell in the summer humidity and shrink in the winter........ You only need the storm door in the winter, really. Make a separate wooden screen for summer. When it swells the first few times, take a plane to it. You can build a lot of wooden doors for $600.......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

47sawdust

Forty years of being a carpenter I've installed,repaired,and replaced a lot of storm doors.Wooden combo doors are nice and expensive $300.00 with hardware and fussy to install.A good Larsen door(aluminum) about the same with a good sedative to understand the instructions and install.Paint helps to reduce seasonal movement,dogs require hardware cloth on the lower portion to keep things from being demolished and the wind will occasionally rip the door right off the hinges.oh,yeah storm doors are fun!
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Hilltop366

Some people build a sliding wood storm door around here because of the wind.

kwendt

@47sawdust lol!!!! I'm thinking solid panel kick plate, and beefed up latches, strike plate... Screen option only for the top. I'm replacing two doors... Aluminum or painted metal. They are the flimsy kind... Buckled by the wind and who knows what else. Wood sounds really nice, really nice. What kinda wood would you use to build a storm door? Seal it with Thompsons or Spar varnish?

FarmingSawyer

I'd use cedar or cypress depending on which state your making it in..... Teak if you've got money...... clear deck sealer would work good.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Don_Papenburg

I seal mine with unwaxed shellac ,That way I only have to clean the door and reshellac it .About every two or three years.

Realy , astorm door built proper will not swell any more than your regular door.Put enough taper on the strike side and a small taper on the hinge side .  I use regular locksets on mine and good ball bearing hinges.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Brucer

My parents house (built in the '50's) had wooden storm doors. They weren't fancy -- wooden frame constructed similar to a cabinet door, bottom half was a solid panel, top half had a removable window that could be replaced with a screen.

They had to be repainted every few years and eventually my folks replaced them with aluminum. Everyone eventually agreed that was a mistake.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Peter Drouin

Having a WM I make all my storm doors. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

kwendt

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 06, 2015, 07:25:27 AM
Having a WM I make all my storm doors. ;D

Nice.... Peter! Yeah....well.... I have a forge, so I'm not making wood doors anytime soon!  ;D However, I am forging 19th century hinges and hardware for the new barn doors. Unless I tear the barn down first. Not sure what I'll be doing with that thing. Restore, Salvage or what. But that's ANOTHER post.... lol.

Peter Drouin

We all do what we can. :D :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

kwendt

Quote from: Hilltop366 on January 05, 2015, 08:20:14 AM
Some people build a sliding wood storm door around here because of the wind.
Hilltop, have you got a picture? I'm scratching my head. A sliding door? Like a barn door perhaps?

Hilltop366

Sorry no pictures, there is one at a friends house but I never looked at it very close.

I think " Like a barn door" would describe it only on a smaller scale with lighter hardware.

Warped

But the Larsen is reversible! Just pay attention to the Z channel, or something like that. And make sure the storm handle won't hit your door knob.
I'm on my third stinking one, can almost install it in under 36 hours! And don't get me started on those dang shock dampener adjustments!!!!
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Thank You Sponsors!