iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody processing firewood now!

Started by T Welsh, June 19, 2012, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody was running wood through the processor right now! We are busy as all heck and where talking the other day and said we have to start pushing wood through the processor. We moved it out of the mud whole and set it up in the field and I have about 3 days of running so far,need to get it split so it can dry out during the summer months(we only say it was split in the summer time) and sell every stick of it in a month or two! Tim

Buck

Im in the same shape. Need to get to pushing. It doesnt really matter if its seasoned or green. I can sell everything I can produce.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Corley5

I've been running mine fairly steady while the crew is working in the woods.  I'd rather do firewood myself  ;) :)  I've got 11 facecords on order and 40 bundles to do.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

T Welsh

Glad to hear I,m not the only on splitting wood in 90° weather :D. I do have a little shade canopy set up to keep the sun off me. I am running logs through that will not give me any hassles, I,ll leave the bigger and knotty stuff for when I have help. Tim

clww

I have about 20 trees up in the mountains that I'll process in the next month. Standing dead, blowdowns, storm leaners. Firewood that we'll be heating the cabin with this winter.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

blackfoot griz

I've only processed about about 7 cords this spring.  Here, it has been so wet. I have approximately 20 cords worth of decked logs that need to be processed. Looks like it is supposed to be warming up and drying out so hopefully, I can get after it this weekend.

T Welsh

I got another 6 deck fulls done today. It was 95° at 3pm and it kicked my butt. I keep telling myself if I don't do it ,it wont get done. a couple pictures of my little picnic tent

I,m getting old,I need my comfort. 

About 4 days of solid running by myself. I need to get this pile 5 times bigger and I will be happy ;D. Tim

wesdor

I have a high school student coming to help split wood tomorrow.  No processor, just a 27 ton hydraulic.  All wood was cut into rounds last winter and should be drying nicely by the end of this week.

Not sure how much will be there, but probably close to 4 cords.

And like the rest of you - it will be HOT tomorrow.  Do you suppose wood split in the heat of summer retains some of the BTU's and burns hotter (smile)

beenthere

QuoteDo you suppose wood split in the heat of summer retains some of the BTU's and burns hotter (smile)

Yes, if you don't burn it until the winter of '13-'14.  :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NWP

We've been processing wood all spring and summer.  Last winter was really slow because the mild temps, but we have moved a lot of bundles for campgrounds so far this year.  I am just starting to have customers buy their wood for the winter.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Grunex

I wish I had a processor like a lot of you guys here, but yeah we've been busy........  My wood comes off of clearing sites and we have been cutting it into rounds with Chainsaws...so far this season....200+ cord, right through the heat of Mid July.   
I've been really blessed as well...
My customers have been some of the nicest people to deal with.  Even with this heat, it seems everyone is in a good mood and very accepting of the difficulties I've had with scheduling. 
If any of my customers happen to read this, thank you all. 
www.grunexlandclearing.com
Maintaining America's Heartland one acre at a time.

NWP

I hope we have a colder winter here than last year.  As hot as it's been this summer, the wood dries out fast.

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

graves logging

Just wondering how much fuel you guys with the processers are burning per cord. Compared to a chainsaw. Just wondering if they are worth it. 

John Mc

Quote from: graves logging on August 07, 2012, 08:45:23 PM
Just wondering how much fuel you guys with the processers are burning per cord. Compared to a chainsaw. Just wondering if they are worth it.

In addition to the chainsaw fuel, you've got to figure in the splitting operation - and most importantly, TIME. 
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

NWP

My Blockbuster 2222 in the picture burns a little less than gallon per cord average.  It has an 80 hp Perkins.  Before I got it, I had a hydraulic splitter with an 8 hp motor on it.  I actually use less fuel per cord with the processor than I did with a chainsaw and the 8 hp splitter.  And I can knock out a cord in a fraction of the time.

blackfoot griz

My home made processor runs off a 38 hp gas engine.  I get around 2 cords cut and split per gallon of gas. This would roughly= 1/2 gallon of gas per cord cut and split.  Like NWP stated, and I would be inclined to agree, that the processor is slightly more fuel effecient than a chainsaw and hydraulic splitter.  The time saved with the processor is the key.  With my wimpy processor, I can process around 2 cords per hour working by myself. Also, at the end of the day, my back isn't killing me.

The clear downfall of a processor is the expense.  For around 2K a person could by a new hydro splitter and chainsaw and have at it.  That same 2K wouldn't be much of a down payment on a commercially-made processor.

Graves logging, how much gas would you estimate you use per cord with a chainsaw & splitter?

Local4Fitter

My processor cost me $19.99 at home depot. I replaced the wooden handle with fiberglass after I broke it. That is the only maintenance I have done. My processor never runs out of gas ( I do frequently).There is so much I could say about it unfortunately I  need to get out to the wood pile for a bit and then ice the back. :D :D
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

graves logging

We do from 500 to 800 cord a year.  Sounds like a lot of swinging to me.  Lol

John Mc

That reminds me... I haven't been including the visits to the chiropractor in my cost of processing firewood.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Woodchuck53

Well I am a one man operation and have manage to cut and store under roof 12 ricks so for. This will last us about 2 years and this was all free wood from across the road. I'll take it.

We aren't selling any more locally so we use it for our self.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Ron Wenrich

We supply a couple of wholesalers in the Philadelphia area.  They're full up.  We were taking about a 3-4 trailerloads a week since spring.  So, we're just letting the polewood mount up until they start taking again.  We don't do any retail or local wood.  Strictly to wholesalers.  Less headache and hassles.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

graves logging

We cut 4 cord and split on 5 gal of gas.and had very little left in the jug when we were done. I also have a processer that i built it works pretty good but i need to get a smaller motor on it. 6-71 is a little big.its burning close to 2 gal a cord.

Local4Fitter

Quote from: graves logging on August 08, 2012, 08:43:39 PM
We do from 500 to 800 cord a year.  Sounds like a lot of swinging to me.  Lol
I could heat my house for 100 years with that much wood. I would be pressed for space to put it.
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

TJ Timber

I have processing since April, I just did 30 chords last weekend. It's starting to drop into the 40's at night so people are really getting the itch to get wood cut.

graves logging

Its still pretty warm here. Everyone will wait til the last min. And b looking for dry wood in dec

Thank You Sponsors!