iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are these young pawpaw trees?

Started by wareagle, June 11, 2022, 12:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wareagle

I came across a patch of these small trees on my property. I thought that they may be pawpaws. Can anyone here confirm?

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Tougher question when location is not given in your profile. Help us out there.

Leaves look good for pawpaw Asimina triloba. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Yes, I believe that they are.  Crush one of the leaves and smell it.  There should be a distinct smelly odor. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

They tend to show up in shaded places or edges of fields. They also don't seem to be long lived. Areas where we have them, the trees will reach typical heights then die off there and begin to show up in another spot. More mature trees have a deep red blossom that comes in early spring. Tough to beat the critters to the fruits, not that I like them. You can pick them somewhat green and wrap in newspapers like pears are done for later use. I used to take them from KS to KY for my Wife's granny that way.
 Kentucky State University developed improved an version for commercial use a few years back. I think it was done via collection/selection.   
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

wareagle

Thanks for the replies. I live in Northwest Arkansas. The leaves do have a distinctive smell, and I compared them to a cultivated pawpaw tree and they smell the same to me!

Thank You Sponsors!