iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manjisann's Chainsaw Milling Adventures

Started by ManjiSann, October 31, 2019, 09:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: ManjiSann on February 12, 2020, 06:50:16 PMSome sort of log arch

Make one of these only use wheel barrow tires (wider so less ruts?) if the ground is really soft.  I used the below to move 8x14 x 14' pine beams.  Just took it slow!

Ten to 12' of snow took a toll.

Rebuilt after snow bent the above:

This gives more ground clearance with wheelbarrow tires.  The large bike tires roll pretty easy, though.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

AH, you are into it now! Whatever you call it, I call it a whack of work. Now you are adding cookie tables and epoxy jobs to your list. Yes, you have fallen down the rabbit hole.
Good on ya man!
EDIT: OH, and for moving those logs on lawns and such, take a look at that Log Rite Junior. It's a hand arch, would be just the ticket I think.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

ManjiSann

ljohnsaw, I think you posted your device before! Thanks for reminding me about it though, I think I need to start pinching pennies for something like that or the logrite jr OG is talking about. 

OG, I'm not so sure I've fallen down so much as I dove right into that rabbit hole  ;) ;)

Whatever I decide to do, I have time. It's probably rather silly but I struggle to pay for things if I can build them, even when it makes more sense just to pay for it... I may have a mental illness there  ;D ;D DIYitis.. hey doc, is that an actual thing?

OG you're right, it is gonna be a whack of work and I wouldn't be surprised if I curse myself before I'm done but lets face it it's all part of the fun adventure that is CSM. In the end it might be easier and who knows maybe even cheaper to buy fine lumber but in my mind it's just not as much fun. For me it's about the learning and the doing and the growing of a skill that so many people don't have or even have an interest in learning. I think we all have that bug, it's why we build our own lofts or buy a bandsaw mill for thousands of dollars even though we may not actually save that much in the long run. It's about the adventure and the doing. I know, I'm preaching to the choir here but sometimes I have to remember why I do the crazy stuff I do. I'm just super blessed to have some friends that are willing to help out in my crazy adventures. As I grow older I'm realizing it's less about what I accumulate or the skills I gain and it's more about the friendships I get to forge along the way... ok enough philosophizing.  :P :P

I'm just super excited to have a decent supply of logs I can mill! I know last year I was wondering how I'd get logs, heh, now I'm wondering how I'll get them to the patio so I can mill them... good worries to have there  :)

Hopefully the weather will stay decent, ie no snow on the ground and I can mill a log or two next Wednesday. 

Brandon

Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

doc henderson

It is nice to be surrounded by many with the same condition, makes us not seem so cray cray.  (crazy).  the idea that people are self sufficient seems to have diminished in value over the years.  My son has been taught plenty that he, at the time, feels is never going to be of use.  It is funny when his friends come to our house to fix something or do a project, and are astounded that either William and or his dad (the doc) are able to fix or build something and already have the tools and materials.  for it to be and illness, it has to negatively impact your daily living.  well... sounds like it is doing just the opposite!!! :) :) :)  Best regards!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: ManjiSann on February 13, 2020, 09:58:57 AMI think I need to start pinching pennies for something like that

Ah, no pinching necessary!  Can be had for free off of CL...
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SawyerTed

Maybe something like this could be built from a regular hand truck.  Think arborist cart or hand truck.  

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

ManjiSann

SawyerTed, I was thinking of something similar with the second set of wheels that fold down to hold the weight while I pull.

OG suggested the logrite arch and as I was looking at their site I also saw the BTS Hauler. I'm pretty sure I could build something similar, maybe a hybrid of the two ideas. 

I'm chomping at the bit to build this stuff but gotta keep some perspective. I am still supposed to be working on the basement, I actually do want to get it done. If I hadn't gone to get the logs yesterday I'd have been working on the basement but I have to get free logs when they show up :)  It's also gonna take me a while to mill what I already have. As much as I think a bigger whack of logs would be awesome, probably better process what I have before I get too much more. There's other priorities as well and I won't bore y'all with the details. Keep the ideas coming though, that way when I do have the opportunity to build the stuff I'll have hopefully settled on the best possible option for my situation :)

Heh, the other elephant in the room... where do I stick all the beautiful lumber I've milled while it dries and then while I wait to have time to build stuff with it? Solved the problem of acquiring logs, now I have two new problems to replace the one! OG, weren't you commenting in your post how your list seems to keep growing even though you check stuff off?...wonder if it's the paper we write it on or the pencil  ??? ???

Brandon 

doc henderson

Paint the ends and stack them off the ground and they can wait all winter.  setting you goals higher than you can reach, may mean that you get more done as a result.  enjoy life, finish the basement, figure out what you want to do with your new logs, mill them when you get time.  sometimes my wife asks me why I did a certain thing, and sometimes the answer is, "I have been waiting 15 years to do that!"   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ManjiSann

Already have them off the ground (theres some sacrificial logs under the two stacks.)  :) I thunked ahead I did ;)  I brought the paint in the house yesterday to let it warm up a bit so I can paint the ends. I found that the ends I didn't paint on the locust split more than the ones I did paint... nothing like an object lesson to really drive the point home eh ;) I think you're right though. I'll paint the ends and they'll keep just fine, maybe one day off I work on the basement and the next I do some milling.

I do have a rough idea what I want to try and do with them. I'm thinking a couple of Miller style chairs for the sanctuary (previously known as the man cave but the name was changed :D ) and then one of those cookie end tables between the chairs so the missus and I can play card games or I can read and meditate on things. Like you said, set your goals high  8)

Hopefully tonight I can spend half an hour hand planing that maple. My arms and shoulders are pretty sore from yesterday so it'll be interesting to see if I can effectively plane. If I can I think it'd be great exercise to work out the knots.

Brandon

Nebraska

Wow Brandon what a flurry and good score on the whack  wood. I agree ...you and t h e wife need meditation chairs and a custom epoxied table in between.  Looks to me like there's a bench or two in those logs.   That pile will keep you out of trouble for a little while. Glad you had a good day.

ManjiSann

It's been a good week at my house. First, nice whack of logs, then I had a really good year end review and promotion/bonus at work  8) 8)... I'm not sure which one I'm more excited about, the logs or the work stuff  :) :)

@doc henderson or anyone with experience drying elm. I've been doing some reading and it seems that elm has a nasty reputation for all sorts of movement shennanigans during drying. I plan to sticker every 12" and ratchet strap them as I have with the other wood I'm drying. I'm going to try and dry this elm outside (really don't want that barn smell in the house... to many easy shots there ;) ) using that easy solar kiln method doc posted a while back. Not sure how I'd manage it but if I can, will quarter sawing minimize the risk or warp, cupping, etc? Or do I just plain saw it and accept that no matter how hard you try there will always be some waste?

Should I cut 1/2" thicker and say 2" wider than the finished dimensions to have some wiggle room to straighten the boards? Any other tips, tricks, suggestions?

Maybe I'll stack it in the garage. The maple seems to have dried really well and fairly quick in there... just hate to use up the floor space and then there's the smell potential again. Hmmm what to do, what to do  ???

Not trying to overthink it, just trying to have a plan and be a bit deliberate in what I'm doing :) I am hoping to make some nice chairs and possibly other furniture in a year or two with this so I figure some thoughtful planning is in order.

Thanks all,

Brandon

Nebraska

8) 8) 8) Good for you Brandon, more money ...more money.... Even better is that you kind of like your job.  All my elm is stickered and stacked in the barn so I don't know but it seems like a good excuse to build a small solar kiln. :) 

doc henderson

I think I posted 2 inch thick by 2 foot x 10 foot slabs, and I dried them down to 7% on my driveway.  the key is to not let it get re-wetted.  I do not have a ton of room for them inside due to there size.  I have given several away to friends and the finished applications turned out well.  If these are fairly free of branches, you will do ok.  The grain pattern that makes elm hard to split and dry, is the same grain that makes elm very interesting to look at and make it strong.  It may be harder to process with hand tools like a plane, but when it is dry if it gives you grief you find someone with a power planer and work out a deal.  as you show your work to friends and colleagues, the underground woodworkers will come out of the woodwork.  Your enthusiasm is contagious, and if you were closer, I would happily help you out.  sounds like you are close to balancing family, work and hobby.  God Bless.  
PS the smell is not that bad.  if you put them inside you will need fans,  I think the natural breeze outside makes sense.

ManjiSann

Nebraska, not quite ready to take the plunge yet on a solar kiln structure but if I keep this up for too much longer it wouldn't be hard to justify a small one. For now I'm going to try the uv plastic and stack of wood one. I'm really curious to see how well it'll do. I think since it's so dry and hot here it'll do just fine AND it has the advantage of folding up when not in use  8)

Doc, balancing everything is a daily challenge ;) some days I do better than others. The trick is not to let my enthusiasm and excitement overwhelm my perspective. Did you get that elm down to 7% mc just by air drying it on your driveway? It'd be cool to be closer to you and the other FF members! You may not be here in body but you and everyone else help me more than you'll ever know :)

I think that the more I think this through the more I think and think and think. At the end of the day I just need to give it a go and see what happens. I bet most of the wood will dry just fine if I stack and sticker it with ratchet straps and use the UV plastic to do that super simple solar kiln idea. 

Well I'm off to coat the ends with some paint to reduce checking until I can mill them. Hopefully I can start making some man glitter in the next few weeks or so! 

Stay safe everyone, 

Brandon 

donbj

A quick tip on the end sealing that worked well for me. I went to the recycling place where people can drop off partial or unwanted cans of paint. I picked out some latex based cans that would barely move when shook and took them home and mixed them all together. Got a gallon of real thick water based sealer that didn't cost anything and worked well on some cedar slabs
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

doc henderson

this log was checked and somewhat dry when milled.  has made three great projects.  tested at 7 to 8% after a year initially under plastic and then tarps

ManjiSann

Donjb, that's an idea. I'll have to look into it. Would be a great way to save money and the environment... sort of :D

Doc, well if you can get to 7% MC with just tarps and air drying I should be able to do the same here in arid Utah. I'll pick some clear plastic up and try that solar kiln idea and let everyone know how it works.

I went to seal the logs yesterday and saw this one. It looks like 3 piths to me yet the log is round, is this common? Should make milling interesting, any suggestions?

Now I've heard of pine blue staining and also know about Dutch Elm Disease... is this some sort of hybrid fungus, maybe grape elm disease?  ;) ;) ;)

Weather is supposed to be nice this week and wet the next so I'm thinking I'll try and mill a log or two this week. Fingers crossed I can :)

Brandon 

SawyerTed

That purple disease must be widespread - this is the southeastern grape walnut version!

Builders supply houses sometimes have custom colors returned and they discount them heavily.   The Habitat Restore also might get weird colors donated.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Nebraska

I'm glad the free ash log I got today got coated with old chunky white latex. Those colors are kinda  brutal.

doc henderson

you can get a temp and humidity sensor with a remote.  i have gotten acu-rite from Walmart and amazon for about 14 bucks.  fun to watch the humidity drop as the temp goes up ect.  
piths must of been 3 stems that grew together.  you could cut a series of cookies like a ct scan and see, but there goes your log.  

SawyerTed

My customer with the purple walnut log end seal uses different colors for different sawing dates and species. They are all recorded and he tracks moisture prior to moving the lumber into conditioned air storage.  He's used red, blue, orange, yellow and purple so far.

ManjiSann

The weather was pretty nice yesterday, high 30's. It's funny, I think that's cold and don't want to do anything then I read OG's posts about working in 10 degree or lower weather... I'm a wimp it would seem  ::)  But once I get going I really appreciate the cold weather as I tend to heat up and the cool keeps it comfortable  8)

So I dollied one of the logs over to the patio, put the ladder on it and started my cut

There was a slight incline and between that and the bark it was tough going. It takes time to cut then rotate the log and get the ladder set up for the next cut but I think going forward I'll consider it time well spent as the amount of effort I had to use to make the cuts had me wondering if I'd somehow dulled the chain instead of sharpened it  >:(

I did use the metal detector and it seemed to indicate something in a few spots so I took my axe and removed the bark in those areas but didn't find anything. After a couple cuts I did find this though 

I must be doing something right in my life as I've managed to avoid any major metal hits thus far, knock on wood. 

This wood is really pretty! I don't think I'll be using a stain when I finish it, just something to bring out the already amazing color it has. I'm super excited to work with it once it's dry!

About half way through I was getting rather worn out... I'm really out of shape  :-[  I have a co-worker that says a change is as good as a break so rather than sit down and take a break I decided to edge the boards. I bought a couple 5ah batteries for my circular saw, FANTASTIC! Well worth the investment in my opinion! I've discovered that my little 6 1/2" dia saw leaves a wee bit uncut if the board is 9/4. 

After a short break I cut a few more boards. Again, the wood is just amazing! This log had some rot in it and this pic shows the beginning of where I started to get into it

I started edging again and the saw was struggling to get through the cut and I started wondering what was up so I pulled the blade and found...

I had a skip tooth blade!!!  :D :D :D  Works well in chainsaws I'm told, not so hot in a circular saw. So it was off to the store for a replacement. I decided to take another members advice and bought a Diablo and it works very well.

I finished the log and edging in the time I had but I was pushing it on energy. I did set up one of those simple solar kilns but was too beat to take a picture, I'll get one in a bit. It's not very impressive with only a few boards in it but it'll be amazing once I have a few piles in it. 

I've realized I have a ton more wood than what I'll need for the Miller chairs I'm hoping to build so I'm thinking the rest will go for legs and cabinets and such for the reloading bench. I think the natural color of this Elm will go really nice with the maple bench top. 

On a side note, I've decided I want to build a platform to do the milling on as all this bending over and kneeling really takes a toll on me. A year ago I started to build a welding table but eventually reality set in and I realized it was too big for the space I have and so the 4" x 3/8" angle iron has been sitting in my garage begging to be used for something so I could have the space back. I think I'll weld a 5' by 2 or 3' top that is super stable and some removable loading ramps and a winch or something to get the logs on it. I figure 1.5' to 2' tall should suffice. As much as I'd love to deal with 3' dia logs the reality is I can't move them so I think 2' dia or slightly bigger is what I'll build for. 

Anyhow, it's good to be back to milling!

Brandon 

doc henderson

"knock on wood",  now that is funny!!! :D

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: ManjiSann on February 20, 2020, 07:55:26 AMI had a skip tooth blade!!!

Been there, done that.  Amazing how a full set of teeth come in handy! smiley_old_guy
Quote from: ManjiSann on February 20, 2020, 07:55:26 AMOn a side note, I've decided I want to build a platform to do the milling on as all this bending over and kneeling really takes a toll on me.

What about a table that the top is adjustable.  Down lower to load and then one end raises up to 30° or so, so you really cut down hill making the best use of gravity?
John Sawicky

ManjiSann

ljohnsaw, I'd love an adjustable height table! But that costs money and this year's motto is paying off debt so gotta keep things cheap or in this case pretty much free. :)

I keep toying with different things and ideas and as is usual for me I start out simple, add things, it gets complicated and then I realize I'm not going to do that and I start over simple again... rinse and repeat.

I think I'm going to use the basic frame I already have, add some center supports and legs and an attachment for a hand operated winch to load the logs, ramp attachments and a few basic things and call it good. Most of this except for the winch I already have so it fits the overall plan of free  8)

I really wish I could make the table longer or able to be raised but for now 4' or so logs are likely all I'm going to work with so a 10' table isn't really needed. The adjustable part would be awesome but that'll have to come later. Maybe next year I can do a different table with nicer features :)

I'm also struggling with the time thing, do I take time to make this or just deal with the sore muscles and get the milling done, then there's all the other projects I should/want to be doing. it's all about balance  ::)

Brandon 

Thank You Sponsors!