iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting bandsaw blades-how often

Started by Joe Hillmann, September 07, 2016, 03:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

For those of you who sharpen your own blades how often do you set them?  I used to set them every time I would sharpen them.

Now I have been doing some testing and the blade that I have on my mill right now is on its third resharpening without being reset.  I plan to reset it the next time I sharpen it but wonder just how often I really need to set my blades.

millwright

ladylake

3 times is pushing it, maybe OK in hardwood but not softwood.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

pine

If they are out of set then setting helps. 
If the set on them is fine then setting them does no harm as it does effectively nothing. 
Time is a cost but it is not that much time as I see it.
I tend to set each time as I like the result.

Just the way I think.
I also touch up the chain on my saw every tank of fuel.  It results in  longer chain life as less is removed. 

Tom the Sawyer

I clean, set, and sharpen.  I check the set of every blade, every time.  If it is off, I re-set the blade.  If it is within specs, and consistent, then I just sharpen it.  In a batch of bands, about 3 in 10 will get reset. 

If a blade was changed for something other than getting dull (hitting metal, binding, diving, etc.), I make a note with a black marker, near the weld, and it gets a closer look after cleaning.  I do them in batches of 10-15, usually on a rainy day, and normally have 30-40 blades in rotation at any time.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

drobertson

What Steve said! Soft wood seems lots more tempermental.
I go three and suffer some,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I run my bands through the rollers (my unsetter) that I had made and then set every time, then sharpen.

Setting a band usually takes me around 5-8 minutes to do both sides!!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

killamplanes

I sharpen mine and after 2-3 times I throw them away. Call me lazy, just not dedicated enough but my blades cheap 15-20$ never ran 30-40$ ones or I might change my tune...
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

If the blade is in the saw shop it's going to come out of the shop with an even set.  I mark the blade with what I set it at (I set my 4 degree blades to different sets so that when I'm having problems, I can experiment) and how many resharps it has undergone, and what it is too...I mark near the weld joint so I can find it, and it looks something like- (K-7/35 3RS S.025"  now that would mean it's a Kasco 7 degree blade that's had 3 resharps and is set to .025")...

I find alot of times that when I'm running a blade, one side of the teeth (I think it's the bottom/outside teeth) usually will lose .005" set compared to the other side.  I think it's because I do alot of trimming and skimming to make a good board.  So I usually like to put that back in...when I was using my DTS, I would often just not set it, because who really knew what the thing was reading, but now that I have a single tooth setter, and can trust it's accuracy, I like to use it and make sure that all my blades leave the shop within .002" tolerance.  Does it matter that much?  To me, I try to hold those tolerances because now I can, and.. my grandpappy taught me never to half-butt more than one thing in a day).

So, short story long, X2 to what Peter said  :D
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

I sharpen then set.   Setting is fast, I'd guess a couple minutes per band with a dual tooth setter, and give me confidence the band that is going on the mill is in top shape. 

It gives me something to do while waiting on the sharpener.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Percy

I have no hard and fast rule about this. I just check the set with my hand held gauge on several random teeth. If its within my tolerances....heh.... it goes on the sharpener. If its had an "incident", it gets the full treatment...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Bandmill Bandit

Depends what I am sawing BUT every band get set at least once during each sharpening cycle  AND twice when I cut hardwoods and dry logs of any type. When done properly this policy extends the useful life of the blade a LOT and increases the amount of lumber produced per sharp cycle.

Not setting is a lazy way out of the shop when you have to sharpen blades. It is costly policy, pure and simple! 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

LeeB

I set then sharpen every time. I don't cut a whole lot any more so it is not a big deal to set the few blades I do now-a-days
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Quebecnewf

I know this is going to sound funny but I never set. I sharpen my blades with my Dinosaw sharpener and get 8 to 10 sharpens per blade. Saw only softwood. About 15 logs then I swap out the blade. This works for me. My setter sets in a drawer unused.
When I first had the mill I set after every third sharpen . I think the blades have gotten better.

Like I said it works for me

Quebecnewf

Kbeitz

I set if the blade sticks in a log...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

I generally set every third sharpening or so.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Deese

I set every time I sharpen. Don't know if it is necessary, but I do it anyways.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Peter Drouin

The setting is easy. Just push a button. ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Deese on September 08, 2016, 09:28:34 AM
I set every time I sharpen. Don't know if it is necessary, but I do it anyways.

Same here. Sometimes I find they don't need it so I have wasted some time but I know...
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

I usually set every other sharpening. I made a small device with a dial indicator if a band has been cutting well I check a few teeth if their close it just goes on the sharpener. One of my sharpening customers wants very little set I almost never set his bands. If you have sharpened and set a lot of bands you can look at them and tell if their set enough. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

Anything that works is the best answer, no doubt setting/resetting can do no harm for sure.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

4x4American

I found that if I had too little set on the saw, I would get a dish on the cant.  If you get to the point that it's binding I think you've let it go for too long lol
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on September 08, 2016, 08:19:45 PM
  If you get to the point that it's binding I think you've let it go for too long lol

:D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bandmill Bandit

setting bands is like getting dressed. You can put on clean underwear in the morning or none at all. By the end of the day you will know the difference AND the end of the day will arrive sooner for you.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!