iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Black Walnut trees

Started by 2602tderrick, December 27, 2017, 09:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yes, this is the last item on the Index Page:  Picture Posting on Forum Help

Give it a shot and then if you need help, just ask.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

Theres a guy pretty local to me with the biggest logging outfit im aware of, definitely looks the most successful.  Hes known for making offers on timber, and if he gets a no... Making offers on land.   

Go on your states GIS parcel viewer and look at the biggest blocks of land around.. See who owns them.  Then market direct.  Its typically a "neighbor" willing to pay the most for a plot for some personal and emotional reason of their own.  Want it for family or to expand the farm or gravel pit or timberstand or hunting reserve etc.  The guys with the most land around have the most equity to leverage at the bank.  I would also go to sawmills and walnut end users trying to find my buyer.  A "walnut stand for sale" ad on the sawmill bulletin would reach your target market pretty fast.  Mill would be crazy not to let you put it up as they stand to make money sawing or yarding it if one of their customers brings it in.

Type in "standing timber" on craigslist, buyers usually post there.

Praise The Lord

2602tderrick

This sounds like a solution, so I determine approximate MBF of the timber right now, then use projections based on recorded growth rates.  Then what, who do I talk to?  Everyone sees this as I do, a 10-15 year investment would yield $$$

mike_belben

Talk to everyone and anyone until you find your sale.
Praise The Lord

TKehl

Real Estate brokers and forester/appraisers would be a start.

A forester should be able to appraise the value and potential future value.  

As for real estate agents, you want one that specializes in land (Farmland, investments, and recreational).  Your perfect buyer may be someone who wants the land for recreational use, but can use money from an IRA to fund the purchase as a timber investment.  There's an agency our way that specializes in this type of property and they seem to be expanding.  Mossy Oak Properties.  I bought my moulder from a guy in KC who is an agent for them.

You say NE KS, if you are within about 2 hours of KC (Or maybe Omaha), this would certainly be something to pursue.  (Lot's of KC traffic in my area to the Lake of the Ozarks every weekend at a 2-3 hour drive.)  I see rates on hunting leases going up lately and lots of people with money looking for that land where they can groom a trophy buck.

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

mike_belben

Farm Credit is a rural land lender here, they actually dont underwrite residental land.  Might wanna call them if theres one in your area.. See who is buying working forest.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!