iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new learning

Started by whittle1, May 29, 2016, 09:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whittle1

Quarter sawing a large pin oak about 22" the first one beautiful quarter sawn lumber but it did seem like I  was
going slower and slower as I went. Started on the 2nd one about the same size and the saw was really struggling with a thru cut. Rolled the top cant off and the next board the saw was snaking real bad, put on a new blade and started with the 3rd cut about 19" across and saw carriage travel was extremely slow and completely stopped about 6" from the end of a 10' long log. Thinking it was a problem with the belt or motor on the carriage I tried to push the saw the rest of the way, OOPS blade came off. Now I'm looking at this big pile of pin oak and white oak logs and thinking I will never get these all cut up.
Thank goodness for Woodmizer Techs after a quick description of the problem he suggested I check the belt tension. Tensioned the belt and back to cutting like new. When rebuilding the saw I had originally set the belt tension using a gates belt tension gauge to 10lbs force for 7/16 deflection. It was still about the same which I guess was ok for the pine I had been cutting. Now I'm closer to 20Lbs which feels about right if not using a gauge and just tensioning by feel.

WV Sawmiller

Whittle1,

Can you update your profile with your equipment details so we can see what kind of mill you are talking about. My mill specs call for 14 lbs at 7/16" deflection if I remember correctly. I check it regularly but fortunately have not had to adjust it yet.

Thanks for posting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

whittle1

1994 LT40 the book calls for 7/16 deflection at 5lbs. I'm running a powerband and can only assume this was a measurement for 2 single belts. So 10 lbs should have been by the book.

Thank You Sponsors!