iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another New Member

Started by Macgyver, August 14, 2011, 10:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macgyver

Hey everybody,
Been a member for a while now but I figured its time for a real intro.  I've probably read more on the FF than any of the books I owned while in college (much more interesting content!).  My profile says a bit about me, but the basics are that I got interested in timber framing, walked around the woods in my back yard and realized how much great lumber I have standing up all around covered in bark, bought a Norwood MX34, and am hoping to build my own house sometime in the next 3 years or so.  I can pretty much design and build anything on a budget, but learned "good, fast or cheap; pick any two" holds true in every situation.  I've already learned some hard lessons about finding metal in wood (my second pass ever with my mill found 2 nails and a ball of barbed wire in a tree someone told definitely had no metal), and I'm sure there'll be plenty more to come.  Thanks to everyone for all the great info I've been reading up on until now, and thanks in advance for all the interesting posts that I'm sure will come in the future. 
Smile! It confuses people

paul case

well macguyver,
welcome to the forestry forum. that was a quick initiation finding metal on your second cut. it had probably been waiting on you to cut it for years!
sawdust good. sparks  not so good. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

Macgyver

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Lots of good people and info here.

Real nice Timber Frame stories here too.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bill Gaiche

Wecome, sounds like you will be having a nice project to complete. Building a home from your own resources has to be very rewarding. bg

terrifictimbersllc

Welcome to FF.  Keep us posted on your building plans!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Welcome Macgyver, to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Macgyver  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) Nice choiceon mill I reckon it will serve you well with your plans to build your own Home for yourself Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) more people should be thinking smaller and doing it themselves  ;) with the metal it happens and dont ever beleve some one that says theres no metal in that there log Mate  ;) :D ;D

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!
Stick around because it only gets better.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum. Probaly won't find much tramp metal in trees in the woods. Watch those trees around old stone walls. Sounds like a good plan for the house. Must have something to get the trees out of the woods to the sawmill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Macgyver

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.  I think I'll be investing in a metal detector pretty soon, any suggestions?  I've got a Nissan Titan 4wd, and a Deere 770, so I'm hoping that with a little imagination, and a lot of time I'll be able to use those to skid the logs.  I've got hickory, oak, maple and a bit of black walnut, some upwards of 30" dbh and 50' of straight trunk, so it'll be all those machines can do to move them.  I'm used to par buckling logs onto my trailer and mill by hand though, don't have a winch yet, so anything will be a step int he right direction. 

I've got an older dewalt planer that I'm working on converting to run on the rails of my mill (similar to the logosol).  Anyone see any commercial potential in that idea?  I'm just doing it for myself for now because I can't afford a real beam planer.
Smile! It confuses people

Thank You Sponsors!