iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt15 , What's it worth?

Started by justin123, December 09, 2015, 11:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justin123

Hi guys, I am new to the forum.  For several years I have wanted a sawmill for personal use. I am currently looking at a 2012 woodmizer LT 15. It has just under 100 hrs. on it. Everything looks to be in good shape and it has been stored in the dry. What would be a good price on this? Thanks for any help.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
You ask one of the most difficult questions, "what's it worth?".. That is something that depends on so many things.
For one, click on your forum name and you will go to where you can update your profile and put in where you are located.  You probably read other posts on the forum, and know it helps when reading them to have a general idea where the poster is located. Do that for us. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Arkyrick

Depends on if it portable or stationary, and if it has any extra attachments. I know of an L15 that was much older than 2012 that sold for $4,000 dollars. Look on for sale sites like Craigslist and others, some times that can help you. Has the seller given you an asking price? I believe WM has an area that posts used sawmills for sale, keep asking and do some research. Good luck. I can tell you this much I bought my L15 years ago and it paid itself off many times and given me many hours of enjoyment.  smiley_clapping
Arkyrick
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

stanwelch

Justin123 -- welcome to the forum
As others have said, a little research will give you a price range for this machine. Does it have any extensions or power feed?
I bought my LT15 four years ago for hobby/personal use. Great machine!
What support equipment do you have to move logs and lumber?  I would be glad to try to answer any questions you might have about the LT15.
Good luck
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

terrifictimbersllc

You can call Woodmizer and ask the value.  Called their "Orange Book".   If you have the serial number of the mill or VIN if it has a trailer option they can look at the exact mill and what was purchased with it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, justin123.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, justin123.  Adding your location to your profile will help with future questions. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justin123

Wow ! Thanks guys. I didn't expect so many responses so quick. I have added my location now. I have tried to research this however there are seldom any sawmills for sale in my area so it is somewhat difficult. The mill has no added accessories. The only extras it comes with are 7 used blades and 3 new ones. I have not actually laid eyes on the mill in person yet. If possible I would just like to get an idea on a price assuming that the mill is near perfect condition. Then at least I would have a starting point to decide weather the mill is a good value.

Magicman

X2 what terrifictimbersllc said.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

When I go to auctions or flea markets to buy something my buddys say... How do you know whats it's worth.
I say... What does it matter. I know what I want and what I'm willing to pay for what I want.
If it's something I really want then I might pay more than what some people think it's worth.
But when it's all done it will me mine and I'm happy.
thats all that counts.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WLC

Have you looked on the Atlanta/Georgia Craigslists to see if any are for sale in the state and what prices are being asked?  I would also suggest seeing what the difference in price is between what you are looking at vs. a new LT15.  Is buying used gonna be worth the difference in what a new one would cost? Sometimes buying new is less expensive than buying used in the long run.  Also the suggestion on calling WM is a very good one.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

WV Sawmiller

Justin,

Welcome to the FF. Good luck on the mill. Do check with WM folks and they will help give you an idea what you should expect to pay.

My FIL was from Ellijay and my wife still has relatives there. We even bought 12 acres at one point that adjoined Cohutta Wildlife Refuge but later sold it due to high property tax and us with no kids in school there (Was just unimproved mtn land you had to walk a mile on old logging road from last place you could park).

When I was stationed in Albany Ga while in USMC we'd come to Ellijay in October to make an apple run. You guys sure have good ones there.

Keep us informed of your purchase and follow on experiences.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gfadvm

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 10, 2015, 06:33:25 PM
When I go to auctions or flea markets to buy something my buddys say... How do you know whats it's worth.
I say... What does it matter. I know what I want and what I'm willing to pay for what I want.
If it's something I really want then I might pay more than what some people think it's worth.
But when it's all done it will me mine and I'm happy.
thats all that counts.

That describes my tool buying philosophy to a T !

Magicman

Thanks for your input and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, WLC.

Darrel

When I was shopping for a mill about 2 years ago, I looked at several LT15's and found that as a general rule, the asking prices for a used one was not significantly lower than that of a new one, consequently I was on the verge of buying a new LT15 when I found a great deal on my hydraulic LT40.   Don't be in too big a hurry, take your time and do lots of research.  If you buy a used orange mill, you will be able to put several thousand hours on it and sell it for just about what you paid for it and if that orange mill is a new LT 15 you can still sell it with very little depreciation. In my way of thinking, that almost means the mill is free. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

justin123

Thanks for all the Great input guys. I went ahead and called wood-mizer . The guy that I spoke with really didn't want to give me an estimate of what a used mill is worth. However he was very helpful. I got a price on a new one. A new one including taxes would be around $3,000 more than the used 2012 mill. If I were doing this to make a living I might consider a new one, but to me $3000 is a big savings for as little use as it has on it. I think that I am going to go ahead and buy the used one as long as everything is in good condition. Again thanks so much for the advice and Thanks for welcoming me to the forum!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, WLC.

Getting to be quite a few Alaskans here on the forum!   smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

prittgers

In Alaska, the LT15 is a real workhorse.  People tell me that they sell their '15s for pretty much what they paid for them.  The value of a Wood-Mizer seems to hold well.  Inflation makes up the delta between a used mill up here and the price of a new one in many cases.
Parker
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

Thank You Sponsors!