The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Tree service logs  (Read 4261 times)

Online firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
Re: Tree service logs
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 02:05:21 PM »
I talked to the second guy this morning and he indeed wanted to be able to dump a whole load at my place.  I told him that wasnít happening, but that he could call me if he had something he didnít want and he could set it on my trailer.  I may not hear from him again.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 02:35:42 PM »
I think most ppl are just looking for a place to dump their junk.

Offline slider

• Senior Member x2
  • sawyer,trucker,tree service
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
Firefighter be very careful . I am in the tree business and run a saw mill. Here in in Georgia we get lots of nice syp but most of the hardwoods are firewood quality. I would not let them dump anything without you first going to them for a look first. 
al glenn

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 04:21:01 PM »
Thanks Slider.  Iím kinda lucky to be living at the northern edge of the SYP.  I live on about 12 acres with some pretty large loblolly and shortleaf that were planted about 55 years ago.  We also have white, red and black oak.  Iíve got a 28 incher on the ground right now.  I would like to get some other conifers from the tree service.  People are always taking down nice specimen trees so they can plant a Japanese maple.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 05:34:18 AM »
I have one tree guy that knows what I am looking for. Most of the time, he calls me and I show up with my trailer, he loads. Just two days ago he dropped off some nice SYP logs. I always tell him to buck them at 12'6" unless the log is 12" on the small end, I want them at 16'6".

And yes, a 6 pack goes a long way.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »
I'm working on getting my ducks in a row then I'll be contacting one tree service in Klamath Falls. He's already told me that he'd save good saw logs for me. Right now my trailer needs some serious work to get it ready to hall logs. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 06:11:22 PM »
Good deal Darrel.

I talked to another service that was recommended to me by one of our firefighters who used to work for a tree service.  This might be the best one yet.  Heís much closer and said I should come and look at what they have and will let me know about stuff in the future.  Also may set up with me ahead of time to come to job site and be loaded there.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »
I did that too, pre staging with the tree service.  I had a big dump trailer with a crane for these jobs.  I thought it was a goldmine but it was a nightmare.

Some of my most memorable negative experiences caused me to stop doing it. Most times I would drop off the dump trailer in the morning on the way to work and pick it up on the way home.  Unfortunately this was a very bad scenario as the tree guys were usually long gone doing another job or done for the day. Either way I was mostly alone when I went to retrieve the loaded trailer.

The problem is that the customers thought I was part of the tree service team and I caught all the flak from the total job as if was my fault or something. They also figured I was supposed to haul off everything, even the miscellaneous branches and twigs the tree guys invariably left in the yard. Thatís why I was last there and had a trailer, right?  Of course theyíd get mad when I didnít pick the garbage up and tried to explain the situation to them.

Then customers would also get really mad when they learned I wasnít employed by the tree guy who was getting the logs hauled off for free or worse yet I was going to saw them up and make money off logs that they, the customer, had already paid the tree service a dump and hauling fee.

Iíve had customers tell me I needed to reimburse them for the logs.

Iíve had customers get mad at the tree service and take it out on me.

Iíve had customers tell me I needed to fix the ground up root ball and stump shavings in their yard.

I had a guy tell me I needed to fix a damaged gutter on his house.

Another accused me of damaging his plumbing.

The one that finally did me in was a big pecan log job where I parked the trailer on the driveway at the direction of the tree service, unhooked and went to work. Sometime during the day they moved the trailer into the manís front yard and loaded it to the gills.  Then they left and it started raining. When I went to pick the trailer up it was sunk in the soggy ground with about 16,000 lbs of dead weight and rain forecast for the next day. I had to get it out then, before the rain got worse.  When I pulled it out with my diesel 4WD it left some moderate tire ruts in his front yard, not from spinning, just soggy ground.  The customer literally freaked.

So I calmed him down, went home, unhooked the trailer, went to Home Depot, bought a few bags of topsoil, some seeds and hay. I went back the the yard, fixed the ruts in the rain, at night, went home sopping wet, mad as a hornet, fired up the computer, logged into Craigslist and posted for sale, one big dump trailer with or without a crane attached. I sold both within a week and swore off tree services.

I hope your experiences are better than mine.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 08:06:21 PM »
Robert - well said/written. 
My son runs a tree service in the summer.
There's a reason people call his tree service.

The tree is dead or diseased or dying.

That poor tree has seen abuse in the city for a hundred years. Nails, signs, metal fence parts, clothes lines, birdhouses, tree forts, target practice, go ahead name it!
The poor thing is on it's last legs and then I show up. The guy with the sawmill. 
Even if I can work with the guys removing the tree (see YellowHammer's post above), a forester would have a hard time not breaking down and crying when they saw the poor thing.

So, now I'm the genius that can turn the corpse into a highly valuable veneer log? 
I think not.
I'm SO glad that I found a niche market in milling for timber frame and log homes. 
Tree service logs are: small branches = chips, big branches = firewood, trunks = firewood, maybe one out of 50 is worth taking to the mill.
Lots of the folks on the FF make a good living selling firewood. 
Let's just be reasonable about what a mill log should be.

LT30G24, LT40G25
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 11:20:22 PM »
Thanks guys.  Iíll be careful.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 11:55:06 PM »
As soon as YellowHammer said that he dropped of the trailer off on his way to work I knew how the story would end.  Not because I'm so smart but because I've helped out a bit on cleanup and if there's a place to throw crap, that's where it all gets thrown.  Fortunately, I won't be dropping off my trailer. I'll be there to say what I want and don't want. The way the tree service guy talked, he will be glad for every thing I hall off because he won't have to deal with it. 

We shall see if it really is as good as he makes it sound. Won't know until I go pick up a load or two. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • letís make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 07:34:49 AM »
Good luck Darrel! Oh, and in your free time since your in the area, can you tie an antelope to a tree for my daughter near gerber res. She should be drawing the youth tag this year :)
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch.

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 07:58:04 AM »
Yellow hammer, for 13 years I kept a picker truck on the road so I could get logs. What a mistake.  At that time every bum was a tree removable expert. I would charge to pick up junk and take nice logs for free. I had the same problems you did especially with the home owners. Also if it was windy or rained they would cancel.  I tried to show so many guys how to buck logs but they already knew everything. Most of them could not file a saw. I could go on but I think you covered it.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 08:26:21 AM »
Boy, the tree service topic brings back fond memories.  

One was a home owner guy who said he'd give me all the logs the tree service cut down.  The place was a mini farm, and there were going to be a dozen or so good logs, some cherry and oak.  Good stuff, probably no nails. This time I was going to play it smart, stay out of everyones way, not drop my trailer off, but come back and use the crane to load them the next day.  I had a plan.  

However, when I went to get them the next afternoon, the logs were already gone!  So there I am, standing next to an empty trailer, bed full of chainsaws, gas, oil, other tools, looking around, wondering were all the DanG logs went, and lo and behold, I see a flatbed trailer with a Kubota tractor loaded on it, coming down the driveway, leaving.  I flagged thy driver down, and he stopped to chat.  He said he knew the landowner, who had called him to come get the good logs, because I had agreed to take the rest. Whaaa???

On the door of his truck was a large magnetic sign that said "Sawmill Service".  I had been scooped.  I laughed   and went home empty.  What fun.  

YellowHammerisms:

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 08:36:24 AM »
I will not be leaving my trailer either.  I have no need for a large volume of logs.  Mostly Iím sawing for myself and I can only use so much lumber, but I do need to get some cut and drying.  If it ends up where the tree service wonít bother with me because Iím not taking enough from them so be it.  Iíve got two who have said I can come to their lot and pick what I want.  That may be my best bet.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 08:47:31 AM »
Going to their lot is the best option.  Cherry pick and get the good stuff. 
YellowHammerisms:

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2018, 09:27:59 AM »
Cherry would be nice.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Tree service guy wants serious money for walnut logs!

Started by Small Slick on Sawmills and Milling

34 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 10:27:26 AM
by 5quarter
xx
Nice load of white oak logs from local tree service

Started by Kelvin on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 07:51:34 AM
by Ironwood
xx
Tree cut height, tree service vs logger?

Started by Brad_bb on Forestry and Logging

22 Replies
Last post November 26, 2019, 09:23:20 PM
by thecfarm
xx
Tree Service Woes

Started by Weekend_Sawyer on General Board

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2003, 05:41:38 PM
by Weekend_Sawyer