The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Sleep Paralysis  (Read 7539 times)

Offline ponderosae

• Share Post
Re: Sleep Paralysis
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2019, 01:25:57 AM »
If this happened to me, I'd drink between one to three liters of water every night before I went to bed, so I'd have to get up at least a couple of times to take a leak... I mean it already pisses you off, right? Or make some of that a sports drink, so you don't get a fluid imbalance, which can also cause a temporary paralysis (such as Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis... either too little or too much potassium may cause paralysis, for instance, so the fluid balance shouldn't be overlooked, as a wild guess—I see that they mention this in the sleep paralysis article, coincidentally—I'd read about it here, initially, along with various articles about fluid balance, because there are lots of electrolytes involved, which are affected by thermoregulation, etc.), but usually the problem is that people simply need to drink more water (just not too much).

I'll probably do that myself anyway (I don't like sleeping all night, without a reality check somewhere in the middle of a strange dream, when nature calls).

By the way, I hadn't noticed that this topic had several pages, so now I see where you've said that you may get up several times a night already, if you've had something of a diuretic, perhaps. Well, water is not a diuretic, unless you drink an excessive amount (although it may seem like one if what you eat is causing that), so it could be that your diuresis is indicative of a fluid imbalance anyhow.  It may help to try drinking water and sports drinks (a.k.a. oral rehydration solution or isotonic beverages, in which the glucose is necessary for absorbing the electrolytes and balancing your brain chemistry, as well... maybe a bit too much info there, but it's food for thought at least).  It would be excessive to eat lots of salt in addition to that, except to get some iodine occasionally (if it isn't in your vitamin supplement). Just saying, it could be worth a try, and I guess that sleeping on your back could possibly work to optimize circulation (along with optimizing hydration), because if you lay on the limbs, they might tend to 'fall asleep', which could give you the sensation of paralysis (or maybe that's just me).

Oddly enough, talking about sleep keeps me awake, so I also looked into how potassium may be associated with sleep studies, and 'potassium channels' are mentioned to some extent along with sleep disorders.  Beyond that, a recent study says "a significantly strong correlation was identified between K+ [potassium] and REM sleep in men" who are hypertensive (Decreased serum potassium may disturb sleep homeostasis).

Potassium excretion also varies depending on the sleep/wake pattern and affects blood pressure in the process: Role of Circadian Rhythms in Potassium Homeostasis

Other information seems to indicate that low blood sugar or high sodium intake can lead to potassium levels dropping, which could be why a fluid balance isn't necessarily maintained by having some potassium in the diet (if the rest of the diet is not balanced).

An imbalance of this electrolyte can be associated with sleep disturbances and/or paralysis at times, FYI.

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2020, 11:17:29 AM »
Hope you've been seeing some improvement on this front, Jeff.

My cousin just said she's been experiencing sleep paralysis recently and also mentioned hypnagogic halucinations. I looked that up and it sounds like what you had going on. I'm sure you're already aware of that term but I wanted to mention in just in case.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Online Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2020, 11:28:28 AM »
Yes, well aware of the term and know exactly what it describes.

I had been doing well, but I have had 4 events of late, 3 days in a row leading up to the day of the events I am currently experiencing  described in the full members board, and one yesterday morning that was most difficult to emerge from.  It's  not within me to just try and ride these out. I fight my way out, and that can leave me mentally drained.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bandmill Shopping, analysis, paralysis...

Started by Roundhouse on Sawmills and Milling

34 Replies
Last post May 03, 2016, 07:32:00 AM
by Magicman
xx
Can't Sleep

Started by Autocar on General Board

12 Replies
Last post November 16, 2011, 07:17:15 AM
by pappy19
xx
Can't Sleep