The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Paying operators  (Read 5759 times)

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Paying operators
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2018, 12:07:05 AM »
Our processors don't typically out produce the forwarders. There's a lot of variables, with skid distance, number of sorts, and terrain having a big impact on forwarder productivity. Gouterk, I see a potential problem with how you have made employees of friends and relatives. I'm hesitant to work in those same situations, because I prefer to have friends and relatives versus an employer I'm mad at. If I go to work for someone, and all goes well and we end up friends in the end, great, but doing it the other way can lead to some hard feelings. Maybe the best thing you could do right now is sell the Fabtek to get some of that money back out of it, and let one employee go. A hard decision I realize, but if someone is going to be in a processor, It's not just an operator job. You're also a mechanic and electrical and hydraulic technician. Your husband getting pulled out of the main processor to go troubleshoot and wrench sounds like a distraction you don't need at this point.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2018, 03:52:36 AM »
its becoming more clear that instead of repo-ing your machine back, you took pity on a fellow and are now suffering for it yourselves.   Furthermore when the machine is down you take pity enough to pay him wages when he isnt doing a thing.  It sounds like he got the sweetheart end of the deal at your expense because youre too nice.

I think you might want to backtrack and fix the real issue.  Which is beginning to sound like this particular relationship.  
Im with barbender.  Let him go and park the machine as your husbands backup unit.  The wages saved on him will help cover a real mechanic to come work on whichever machine is down while wood is still being produced by your husband who isnt stopping as often.  

Meanwhile you were looking at lowbed.  Do you have a semi now for hauling logs?  Do you or he have CDL?

I have been a mechanic all my life and let me tell you i would love love love to just drive a truck most of the time.  If you find a good mechanic, get him his CDL and have him be your truck driver too.  Between driving, wrenching and PM's you will never run out of work for that fellow. Even if youre paying him $30 hour it will be critical work getting done while your husband churns out wood.  Remember your current repair situation means two machines parked and two wages to cover, thats very expensive.  

The variety of driving/fixing should make a day go by pretty fast and never create a monotonous rut of a lifestyle at work. Id love to be doing that for a good outfit when my kids are both in school.   
Revelation 3:20

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2018, 07:11:11 AM »
I don't remember a Joral computer costing that much for a fabtek a Parker iQan is available for cheaper then 20k as well, one thing I'd do is not always run to cat for parts all of the stuff for the machine was built by someone for cat.
the parts are built by skidmore for cat. i was talking to him at the equipment show in bangor last spring. so anyone with a fabtek might want to talk to him about parts

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2018, 07:34:38 AM »
I don't remember a Joral computer costing that much for a fabtek a Parker iQan is available for cheaper then 20k as well, one thing I'd do is not always run to cat for parts all of the stuff for the machine was built by someone for cat.
the parts are built by skidmore for cat. i was talking to him at the equipment show in bangor last spring. so anyone with a fabtek might want to talk to him about parts
Jesse doesn't build the computers all of that is done by Joral who built the original computer as well as does the encoders, the new style is everything built in one box keypad and all.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »
A good friend of mine has a small logging outfit. He is running 3 skidders, 2 loaders and 2 cutters. He has 5 trucks and hires others as needed

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Paying operators

Started by WDH on General Board

0 Replies
Last post March 19, 2018, 07:31:23 AM
by WDH
xx
First paying job

Started by downsouth on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2014, 11:24:20 PM
by YoungStump