iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

serious chainsaw accidents

Started by knuckledragger, March 28, 2018, 12:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Newbs always ask me what's that for, and point at the length of spare starter cord with an eye lashed into the end laced through one of my belt loops when I walk into the woods.

And I tell them it's a spare starter cord.... cord breaks you can replace it.  Recoil breaks you can undo the cover and wrap it around the pulley and get a start that way.

And then I tell them that the reason why it's hanging from a belt loop on my jeans is a tourniquet that's not right there with you ain't much use as all.

Some of them get it, some of them are either stupid or immortal.

Learnt that one from all the old time fellers around here... one of those things you don't think of until maybe you need it (and hopefully you never do)
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Real1shepherd

All the safety equipment in the world won't save you from fatigue and stupid decisions. I never work more than eight hrs a day with a chainsaw. You can feel the fatigue set in around that time(or before)....that's when you are more likely to make stupid decisions that will bring you physical harm or death. Trust your body.....when it's fatigued, it's trying to tell ya something.

I knew an old faller in OR....worked with him in my youth. In his 60's one day he went to work on a windy day. I'll never know what happened exactly because I had moved on to another show. He was killed felling. My general rule on wind is if the tree tops are circling from wind, I don't fall. He was at the top of our trade......

Kevin

lxskllr

Heavy plastic mesh seems to be a bit better as far as light goes. It's more visible on a cloudy day, but doesn't seem to light up as bad when the sun hits it. When my metal mesh rusts out on my Petzl, I'm gonna try modding a Husqvarna plastic screen to fit in the mounts. A lot cheaper too. That faceshield for the Petzl cost me $78. Kinda ridiculous, but it's a nice convenient system.

John Mc

Quote from: lxskllr on March 23, 2021, 03:03:50 PM
Heavy plastic mesh seems to be a bit better as far as light goes. It's more visible on a cloudy day, but doesn't seem to light up as bad when the sun hits it. When my metal mesh rusts out on my Petzl, I'm gonna try modding a Husqvarna plastic screen to fit in the mounts. A lot cheaper too. That faceshield for the Petzl cost me $78. Kinda ridiculous, but it's a nice convenient system.
The screen on my Husqvarna helmet is metal (I think aluminum, but I have not checked). They are (or at least were?) available in either metal or plastic.
My metal one is a black or dark gray color. I've never noticed a glare problem, but I've wearing it with a Husqvarna plastic helmet which might shade things differently?
The steel wire company I work for used to have an aluminum screen cloth manufacturing plant in MS. They would put different coatings on the screen depending on customer specs: Black epoxy coating was the most popular, they also did gray, orange and probably other colors (the orange was for K&N Filters). I wonder if hardware store screening is appropriate, and if they stock it in black. (note that "charcoal that many sell is really more of a gray than a black).
I believe McMaster Carr sells epoxy coated steel mesh (and in small quantities such as 1'x1' or 1'x2' pieces). I'm not sure who might offer it in stainless or aluminum, if either of those interest you.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lxskllr

My Husky helmet came with a metal screen, and it rusted out. I ordered a new one from Baileys, and debated between plastic and metal. I ended up going with metal cause the first one was good enough, and a known quantity. They ended up sending me a plastic one. The package said it was metal on one side, and the other side said plastic; mismarked. It looks cheaper, and doesn't fit tight, so it gets waves in it, but it's alright.

My Petzl has even finer mesh than the Husky, and it seems to light up worse. My intention was to take the Husky screen, and cut new slots so it fits in the Petzl frame, but your idea of buying screening is interesting. I'd have to cut it to shape and glue it on, but it wouldn't be hard to do. I'm gonna give that some thought. I might start with the plastic Husky cause I can use that on my ground helmet anyway, and if it doesn't work out, get some raw screening to fit to the Petzl. I *don't* want to pay another $78 for sure.

Real1shepherd

I never thought about plastic mesh.:P  But the only things I really take care of are my saws. The rest of the stuff gets serious abuse.....I kinda think I'd break a plastic screen pretty easily. And probably the reason why Madsen's only sells metal.

What I've learned on saw forums over the yrs is that if someone thinks they have a better wheel, let them roll with it. 8)

Kevin

lxskllr

The plastic is pretty supple, and it has more give than the metal, so any impacts will be attenuated to help prevent penetration. The grid has a larger hole pattern, so smaller particles will get in easier I guess, but I haven't had any issues. I'm happy enough with it. I've had sticks penetrate the metal screen while brushcutting. Not all the way through, but they were stuck in the screen. That hasn't happened with the plastic yet, but it isn't a frequent occurrence, so it maybe just hasn't happened yet.

edit:
Was just thinking about how you could test it. It wouldn't be hard for an amateur to make a toothpick shooter to see which shield protected more. Keep increasing the pressure til one of the shields failed. I'll have to give that some thought. Might be a fun and informative project.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: lxskllr on March 23, 2021, 05:18:04 PM
The plastic is pretty supple, and it has more give than the metal, so any impacts will be attenuated to help prevent penetration. The grid has a larger hole pattern, so smaller particles will get in easier I guess, but I haven't had any issues. I'm happy enough with it. I've had sticks penetrate the metal screen while brushcutting. Not all the way through, but they were stuck in the screen. That hasn't happened with the plastic yet, but it isn't a frequent occurrence, so it maybe just hasn't happened yet.

edit:
Was just thinking about how you could test it. It wouldn't be hard for an amateur to make a toothpick shooter to see which shield protected more. Keep increasing the pressure til one of the shields failed. I'll have to give that some thought. Might be a fun and informative project.
Well, you find what works for you. The plastic I had, and the metal I use now both had the same (fine) mesh size and maybe the plastic is OK for branches and chips pushing at your face, but I had a 3/4" spring loaded branch snap up and whack me silly when I was bucking a tree and it broke that shield in half and as I swung my head out of instinct the broken edge sliced my jaw/face. Not bad, but annoying. Never again. Had similar stuff with the metal but I just take a second and bend it back into shape. All I know is what works for me. I like the shield because of branches and face protection, but do not like that most dust that gets in my eyes comes up under the shield, glasses might fix that but the fogging and sweat issues are worse. Nothing is perfect, it's all a matter of choice.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

Quote from: lxskllr on March 23, 2021, 03:46:38 PM, and if it doesn't work out, get some raw screening to fit to the Petzl. I *don't* want to pay another $78 for sure.
Which helmet?  I have a petzl vertex and got the replacement 3m screen from baileys for $20.  Any more and id have got another helmet.  Waiting on a tougher piece of mesh to land in my lap and re-screen the old one.  
Anyone use solid lexan screens?  Id like to try one but not if they just fog. 
Praise The Lord

lxskllr

I have the Vertex Vent. Is the screen generic on these helmets? I didn't see any replacement screens specified for the Vertex without buying the whole system again. If you can get whatever screen to fit the frame, that would be awesome.

I also have the flip down visor for the helmet. I got that cause the screen wasn't available yet when I bought the redesigned helmet. I kinda wanted to try it anyway, cause it's a nice trim setup. It's terrible. You can feel the heat hit your face as soon as you flip it down. Almost zero air movement. A chemical type shield in place of the screen would probably be a bit better since there's more of a gap, but I think it would still trap heat, and I suspect would get pretty splattered with sweat, and may even attract sawdust from static.

Greenhighlander

As usual lots of great experience and info being shared here.

I wear the full wrap husky chaps , chainsaw boots , husky helmet with screen face shield , and gloves .  I also shut er down as soon as I notice I am tiring at all .   I always have a small first aid kit with me that includes a tourniquet .  

I do not rely on any of my PPE or the first aid kit . They are both for just in case , because we all know s*#t happens .   I do rely on my ability to do things in the safest possible manner and to know when I am done for the day .  
A few fellas I know like to kid me about the safety gear but I tell them I am pretty much always alone in the woods and would rather wear it just in case then lay there alone bleeding out because I falsely thought wearing PPE made me less of a man .

mike_belben

Quote from: lxskllr on March 24, 2021, 07:56:12 AM
I have the Vertex Vent. Is the screen generic on these helmets? I didn't see any replacement screens specified for the Vertex without buying the whole system again. If you can get whatever screen to fit the frame, that would be awesome.

I also have the flip down visor for the helmet. I got that cause the screen wasn't available yet when I bought the redesigned helmet. I kinda wanted to try it anyway, cause it's a nice trim setup. It's terrible. You can feel the heat hit your face as soon as you flip it down. Almost zero air movement. A chemical type shield in place of the screen would probably be a bit better since there's more of a gap, but I think it would still trap heat, and I suspect would get pretty splattered with sweat, and may even attract sawdust from static.
I think mine is vertex vent also.  Look in the top right corner of the screen frame  for some casting numbers.  "V1A-xxx" 
3M Peltor Replacement Metal Mesh Screen V1A-10P
It is a crazy hot helmet for being named the vent.  Maybe they mean the wearer will need to vent about it.
Praise The Lord

Wudman

Quote from: mike_belben on March 23, 2021, 07:30:13 AM
Coincidentally i just ordered a replacement 3m peltor screen for my petzl arborist helmet.  
Got mine about 2 weeks ago......figured I needed it working this ice damage.
Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

lxskllr

Quote from: mike_belben on March 24, 2021, 01:23:22 PM
I think mine is vertex vent also.  Look in the top right corner of the screen frame  for some casting numbers.  "V1A-xxx"
3M Peltor Replacement Metal Mesh Screen V1A-10P
It is a crazy hot helmet for being named the vent.  Maybe they mean the wearer will need to vent about it.
I'll check it out tomorrow. My stuff's in the truck, and it's currently dumping rain. Mine has pretty big vents, and shutters you can slide up to block them. I only do that on the coldest days. Helmets kinda suck regardless though. The vents work well to catch a bit of a breeze, but those are all too rare in the mid Atlantic summer. I'll take what I can get though.
Mine's my everything helmet. I got it to replace my construction hardhat, and I use it for climbing, or ground stuff when I'm at work. I rarely use my ground helmet anymore. I finally got fed up with my MSA hardhat always falling off, and figured I needed a climbing helmet anyway, so I picked it up. Best purchase I've made for work in a long time. Seems like a lot of construction companies are switching to 'work at height' helmets. The Kask Super Plasma is the one I generally see. I've never held one, but I'm not sure I'd like it. They have foam linings, and I'm not too hip on wearing an insulated cooler(heater) on my head in the summer. I'd like to see one in person, but I'm pretty happy with the Petzl.

lazyflee

My Uncle always said when I was running a saw...."It's tryin to get ya, it's tryin to get ya"
I say that to myself every time I fire one up.

thecfarm

Greenhighlander, good job on the PPE!!! I have almost the same thing, no screen. Got a cell phone on ya too?  :)  I have one on me. Let them laugh, we are safe doing what we are doing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Greenhighlander

I haven't had a cell in many years . There is no reception where I live or on my much more remote land. On my remote land , like a lot of the island , even if you did have a cell and reception it would take so long for them to get to you that it wouldn't really matter .    Thats why I laugh when they use the " safety " reason for us to pay millions in tax dollars for cell towers , so a private company can charge us for using the network we paid for haha  

Joe Perkins

Quote from: Upstatewoodchuc on March 22, 2021, 01:00:42 PM
I worked for a tree service company where only half the guys wore helmets/ear protection and absolutely none of them wore chaps..... never understood it, one guy cut his leg with a saw and I told him "see, bet ya wish you had chaps". 2 weeks later he got his knee again without chaps..... still doesn't wear them, cant fix stupid but you can fire it.
Literally they are mad! 

John Mc

Quote from: Greenhighlander on March 24, 2021, 10:08:53 AMA few fellas I know like to kid me about the safety gear but I tell them I am pretty much always alone in the woods and would rather wear it just in case then lay there alone bleeding out because I falsely thought wearing PPE made me less of a man .

Exactly. The false macho stuff does get old after a while. My usual response is something along the lines of: "I plan to be around to see my kids grow up, have full use of all of my limbs while doing so, and not be so disfigured that any future grandkids are afraid to come give me a hug." If that does not shut them up, I just shake my head and walk away.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

donbj

It's interesting since this thread came up about this subject. I am guilty as charged regarding ppe. Been pretty lax with it and have never had any close calls all these years and I've cut a lot of wood. Have always taken a good approach to the saw.
I was drop starting the 820 J-Red I picked up the other day hanging on to the rear handle and it barked to life as the bar/chain snuck down and caught my pant leg just above my boot and did a bit of a number on my pants. Didn't touch my leg at all. That kind woke me up about this stuff and the fact I am 65yrs old this year and well you get the picture. Going to look into this.

Other point made is it doesn't have to be in the bush where stuff happens, this was in my shop firing it up for the first few times.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

WDH

When I see someone drop start a chainsaw, I figure they are ignorant, uninformed, untrained, a novice, a rookie, or they know better and just don't care.

It is a sure sign of inexperience or experienced complacency.  

I taught my Son-in-law how to safely start a chainsaw and gave him all the PPE he needed to protect himself.  He still drop starts it, so he is neither ignorant, uninformed, or untrained.  It must be complacency.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

The chainsaw was not even running.

But the "Quick Care" was open and I got stitched up.  :-X

My new chainsaw chaps were neatly folded in the chainsaw box.  As WDH just said:  Complacency,

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

donbj

Quote from: WDH on March 27, 2021, 01:24:02 PM
When I see someone drop start a chainsaw, I figure they are ignorant, uninformed, untrained, a novice, a rookie, or they know better and just don't care.

It is a sure sign of inexperience or experienced complacency.  

I taught my Son-in-law how to safely start a chainsaw and gave him all the PPE he needed to protect himself.  He still drop starts it, so he is neither ignorant, uninformed, or untrained.  It must be complacency.  
I've been called all of those at various points in life :D. But this time I'll go with complacency.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Tacotodd

Quote from: Magicman on March 27, 2021, 01:28:23 PM

The chainsaw was not even running.

But the "Quick Care" was open and I got stitched up.  :-X

My new chainsaw chaps were neatly folded in the chainsaw box.  As WDH just said:  Complacency,

To quote Ozzy Osborne yelling to his wife, "Sharon, that's gonna leave a mauk"!

Keep in mind, very poor English accent.
Trying harder everyday.

sawguy21

I learned not to do it the hard way, fortunately the only thing it marked were my jeans. Never did that again!!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!