iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aggravations of a portable sawyer

Started by Nomad, April 23, 2018, 06:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

From time to time it all works out, Sawyer Ted. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

paul case

I think I get as many weird calls as any of youall do but a few have worked out to be good repeat customers.

A few good repeat customers helps make it work. I probably sounded like one of those calls to a guy I have now sold several thousands of $ worth of lumber to.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Some calls may start out weird as Paul just said, but often it's because the potential customer really knows nothing about sawing or what it entails.  I recently sawed a very nice job because the customer said that I was the only person that would talk and explain the sawing operation to her.  That was a road trip that sawed ~5Mbf.  I was there two days and the customer provided lodging.

The lady that I laughed about in Reply #17:
Quote from: Magicman on April 24, 2018, 08:31:38 AMOn the phone she said that she wanted me to saw her logs into 2X12's. She drove up and the tailgate on her truck was closed and there was nothing showing above the sides.

called back later and said that she now had some good logs.  She really did have about a dozen very nice ERC logs and she got her 2X12's.

I'm just saying that we hear a bunch of weird stuff, but do take the time to listen before you blow them off.  It could be a good job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

MM, I agree.  Many of my customers start the conversation with "I've never done this before," and I'll help them in any way I can.  But the clowns who start off being sarcastic and hang up on me are people I'd just as soon stay away from.
     One guy called me one time and started the call with "I hear you make tooth picks out of trees."  My reply was "only if I screw up.  Most of the time I make boards."  He turned out to be a pretty good customer.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

I just tell them, "Call Customsawyer" :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: Percy on April 24, 2018, 12:08:19 AM
"I want some of your boards that you throw away. Like free ones." I show him the slab pile and rejects pile and he says "No, they gotta be nicer than that. Im building a fence" Thats when I try real hard to break wind......
I get ones like this a lot.  I tell them the scraps came from high quality logs so they must be high quality scraps. 
Then I tell them that they cost $20 for a pickup truck load and all of a sudden they want them.  Go figure.  :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SawyerTed

I had a guy ask for two scrap pine 2x8x10, I told him there was no such thing.  :D 

He looked at a stack of 2x8s on the tractor forks and implied that I was lying.  I had to explain that 2x8x10s existed but there's no such thing as a SCRAP 2x8x10 - at least not in my yard.   :D  

He paid $12 each and left happy......
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

dboyt

A big part of my conversation goes into how the customer will use the lumber and what provisions have been made for drying it.  Cutting blocking & stickers generates a little more income, and no it is NOT scrap.  Milling for customers who don't have a good handle on drying just generates a lot of very expensive firewood.  A lot of customers want the lumber milled 1" thick, and expect 1" thick dry, planed boards.  The ones that are happy with the end product are the ones that become repeat customers.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

711ac

Since there's a bunch of sawyers here....
I've hired a portable band mill a few times, always had my tractor or SS there for moving logs, taking away slab wood and sawn boards, basically all the "grunt work" trying to aid the sawyers efficiency. (took directions from him). Both times we were cutting 1" boards and the price was by the bd/ft.
Both times I asked about cutting some timbers and the price. They were the same bd/ft no matter what he sawed. I don't quite get that, esp with a machine there to load & remove. Now I've been in construction (lumber) all my life and realize certain things like a 1x12x12' takes 3 passes of the saw and pays him (let's say) .50 for 12 bd/ft or $6. Now we go to a 12" sq cant 12' long, 4 passes of the saw....... $72. 
What am I not considering?

Magicman

It's not the ribbon that you pay for, it knowing how to tie it.  (old saying but very true)

Reading the log and setting it up for sawing takes experience that you never see.  Sometimes extra trim cuts must be made to avoid wane.  Handling and turning the timbers without damaging (knocking the corners off) takes extra time and skill.  In actuality there is seldom much time difference between sawing lumber or timbers.  For me, the price is the same.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CCCLLC

Peter Drouin

It's all work, Do you pay extra when the sawer has to start his chainsaw?
The same thing if you put in rotten logs in the pile, will you pay for that too?
When I had a customer try to bring me down my already talked about price. I would just tell them, Ok, how about $100.00 an hour to start. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SawyerTed

Maybe you should negotiate an hourly rate for the timbers and a board foot rate for the lumber.  It might make you feel better.

But I think you will find the cost is about equal either way.  The costs of operating are the same, no matter what formula one uses to cover costs. The rate a sawyer uses changes the impetus for efficient operations - an hourly rate places efficiency on the owner of the logs, a board foot rate places efficiency on the sawyer.  

Making a timber that will likely dry straight isn't just 4 cuts and it does take somewhat different skill, knowledge and experience than plain sawing boards.  While ideally a cant prior to cutting into square edged boards would make a timber, it isn't always the case-wane, sapwood, knots etc impact the the quality of the timber possibly more than a the same cant sawn into boards.  That's the hidden knowledge and skill Magicman is saying that the sawyer brings with him.  There's value in that knowledge and skill.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

711ac

Thanks magicman & Ted, not being a sawyer I did not understand these points.
We all work by the hour one way or another.
Peter I think you took my question the wrong way. No big deal  smiley_beertoast

slider

al glenn

Magicman

I recently sawed a job producing 125 timbers of various dimensions; from 12X12 down to 4X6.  I kept up with the board footage as well as the hours spent.  There was a whopping $24 difference between the two methods of billing. 

711ac

Quote from: Magicman on April 25, 2018, 10:03:51 PM
I recently sawed a job producing 125 timbers of various dimensions; from 12X12 down to 4X6.  I kept up with the board footage as well as the hours spent.  There was a whopping $24 difference between the two methods of billing.
I would never have imagined that, not being a sawyer. Thanks again Magicman, a somewhat "educated" customer in any business is a plus. Now can you explain lawyers fees? :D

Magicman

To me lawyers fall into the same category as Sweetgum. 

WV Sawmiller

MM,

That's an insult to an innocent tree. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

OK, I'm sorry.....but so are lawyers and Sweetgum.  ;D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

MM, my Mom used to say there's sorry and there's SOORREEE...

Herb

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on April 26, 2018, 08:12:10 AMTo me lawyers fall into the same category as Sweetgum.
Let me see if I understand, as I sawed some sweetgum in CT last week. The advice I received....

Nail them down while they're wet.
Customer will not be happy.
Slab them heavy.
Some of them will walk away before they're dry.
Quartersaw them.
Saw them thick.

Do I get it?  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!