The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: 'Nother New Laptop  (Read 8130 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: 'Nother New Laptop
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 07:50:34 PM »
I wonder how far that you could throw it?  Just think of all the pleasurable things that you could do to break it into tiny pieces.  There is a thread here on charring wood.  Maybe you could char it :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »
As per Dell's instructions today I have; RAM check, SFC, & IMEI.  I am now working on "fast startup".  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2018, 09:31:59 PM »
I just got an email and Dell is escalating this to their " Resolution Experts", shall I say....again.  At least they are very prompt with there responses.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2018, 02:19:12 PM »
After our latest exchange of email during which I was not so nice, well firm anyway, they are to schedule a home visit.   :P

Offline ronwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Enjoy Making Sawdust !!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »
Magicman

Why don't Dell just give  you a new labtop?

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »
I asked for either a new Laptop or a refund back in June which prompted them to have me send it back again....again.  Everything in it has been replaced so I guess that is why they wanted me to reload the OS this morning.  I said no that enough was enough, and they came back with the "home visit" thing.

Yesterday's bluescreen critical failure said, Stopcode: Faulty hardware corrupted page.  This is the same Stopcode that I have seen several times in the past.

Online pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2018, 08:22:31 PM »
Lynn, you probably won't like what I'm gonna say, but here goes anyway. This sounds suspiciously like a dell problem I spent a lot of time on. This was a desktop, but same as a laptop except for case, screen and keyboard. It is my understanding that most everything has been changed out EXCEPT THE HARD DRIVE which holds all your personal files. There may be a copy of the cpu bios there also. If dell attempted to upgrade the cpu bios (supposedly to fix problems) and you got a corrupted copy, that corrupted copy would be written to the hard drive. Part of a recovery from a windows hiccup would be to reload the cpu bios from hard drive, with guess what, the corrupted copy. That's why changing the motherboard (which contains the cpu among other things) didn't fix the problem.

Therefore it might be advisable to save all your personal stuff if possible. The dell tech probably gonna change out the hard drive..
In theory, he could just download a good copy of bios and install it. I didn't have much luck doing that...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2018, 09:05:34 PM »
It was my understanding that they replaced the hard drive the first time that it went back to Dell, but it doesn't matter to me.  This morning they wanted me to "create a Windows Recovery & Installation media" and "perform a fresh OS reinstallation on the system". 

That is when I balked and told them if they wanted that done they would have to do it.  I don't care if they wipe it clean because there is nothing here but my bookmarks and I established them so I can do it again.

Offline IMERC

• Senior Member x2
  • I have fishin'itis.... Really bad...
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2018, 04:27:17 AM »
CCleaner can help tremendously w/ that ''bloat''...
the free version is all that is needed 99% of the time...
I've used it since '04 w/o issue..
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2018, 04:45:06 AM »
You are not having any luck with that thing. :(    Maybe you should stick to sawing. :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2018, 07:17:50 AM »
Maybe you should saw it.  I would suggest a 4 degree blade.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2018, 08:54:01 AM »
Maybe you should saw it.  I would suggest a 4 degree blade.

Or use it for a target base for the elk rifle.  ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2018, 05:15:47 PM »
A Computer Geek is scheduled to make a home visit tomorrow.  We shall see.  

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2018, 05:20:28 PM »
It sure is an interesting gauntlet. ::) :D
Move'n on.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2018, 08:23:54 PM »
I went to the Prom but I didn't dance.  Got stood up.  My date was a no show.   :-\

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2018, 08:26:26 PM »
Again, again?

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2018, 03:37:36 AM »
Reminds me of getting a Kubota backhoe fixed after 150 hrs on a new machine by the local dealer...........oh about 3 months and it still leaks oil. And Kubota has never owned up other than to send a mouth piece. Welcome to today's world. Don't mention quality and service to me. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2018, 07:46:03 AM »
I finally got tired of all the Windows trials and tribulations about 2 years ago and went Apple.  Love it, never will go back.  Super fast startup, lots of storage, never crashes, everything works together including phones, iPads, wireless printers, networks, etc.

Maybe its time to punt?  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Online lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2018, 08:30:25 AM »
I switched to gnu/linux full time in 2009 after using it partially a couple years. I like not being beholden to a company, and having to ask permission to use my computer. My Dell Intel based workstation at work started life as an AMD based netbook. I swapped the drive over, and it booted no problem. I like debian when I have time to set it up, and xubuntu when I want something quick.

That said, it's a proprietary world, and you sometimes have issues when trying to run random hardware, or have to interact with organizations that haven't yet made it to the 21st century(not unironically due to proprietary software). The freedom is worth the extra work imo, and doesn't have the builtin spyware that comes with systems like Win10.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2018, 12:08:23 PM »
I have no idea what is going on or why the miscommunication.  I only know what the Email that I got said.  Now they are saying: The part is shipped to the facility once a Tech is assigned he will call you to setup an appointment for service.   ::)   I have no idea what part or how they know which part??

For whatever reason the Laptop has not failed since Sunday when Windows did a BIOS upgrade.  Maybe that fixed it, but time will tell.  If it is fixed I don't want anyone doing anything.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another 'nother Laptop Question??

Started by Magicman on Technical Support Topics

4 Replies
Last post April 06, 2015, 09:34:53 AM
by Magicman
xx
'nother WM success..

Started by zopi on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 07:56:23 PM
by zopi