The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Cookie question ?  (Read 4414 times)

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Cookie question ?
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »
Hammer,

Yeah, they don't have the wood or saw like you do but they think any wood and any saw will do the same thing. ::) We need to preserve the mystery.

I know Lynn's customer is bragging on her catch and telling all her friends how quickly he made them with that big fancy sawmill he was operating.

I run into it all the time with primitive, live edge benches I make. They are pretty simple to build if you have the mill to make the LE slabs, a decent tenon cutter (Current about $200 I think), a heavy duty high torque drill to run it, vise to hold the leg stock, other minor hand tools then the mill again to cut all the legs the same height and angle and belt sander to finish them if so inclined. I take them to a flea market or such and people even take pictures and I hear them say "I'm going to go home and build me a couple of them."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2018, 10:39:16 PM »
. . . I hear them say "I'm going to go home and build me a couple of them."
... but, you know they never will, right?

Just like I know that YH will never toss his hair and bat his eyes at his adoring audience.
Which is a good thing.
Cause his wife Martha is much better at that.  :D  ;D  :D 

LT30G24, LT40G25
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2018, 11:01:07 PM »
Andries,

I have seen the wife call him down and say "Well, I have been after you for 5 years to build me one and you haven't yet so go ahead and load that one on the truck."

In some cases the guy may actually try but never get the tenons right or he will try to cut the legs with his chainsaw and never get the legs the same so it always wobbles.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2018, 12:15:31 PM »
Some people just can't stand to pay for what they think they can to do themselves. Doesn't matter if they ever do do it, don't do it very well, or don't do it as good as you can. Even if they see you cutting cookies on a sawmill they'll be thinking they can do it with a chainsaw. Or they'll be thinking they can build or buy their own sawmill and start cutting logs themselves. They must exist in nearly every business and are some of the worst customers out there. I'd guess 75% of the people on this forum (me included) fall into that category to some extent.

The best customers are the ones that have money to spend and don't have any desire to do what you're doing even if they have (or think they have) the skills to do it. It sounds like Yellowhammer has a high percentage of these.

Alan

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »
When I used to sell my sole doing fabrication for Jeeps, I had the hardest time selling my services. more ppl wanted to go buy $2500 worth of welders and cutters to build a $200 bumper than actually were willing to pay me $200 to do it.

The other extreme was someone saw a $900 bumper on the internet somewhere. They brought me a picture and asked me to make it for less. I looked at them and said just buy it I can't build it for that. They argued with me every time.

Thats when I quit doing that kind of work. At least for other ppl.

Around me everyone wants something for nothing. I have a hard time believing I will be very successful in all the endeavors I want to do. But hey, I am willing to try.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2018, 01:33:23 PM »
Cru,

So true. Early in our marriage we decided we needed a picnic table and benches. They were $50-$60 in the local discount stores so I decided to build one. Found a design in a book from the base library, bought a bunch of western cedar and went to the wood hobby shop on the USMC base and started building. The longer I took the lower the prices got in town. By the time I finished I had over $80 plus my time invested in a table that still wobbled and the sets in town were less than $30. Who'd have thunk it.
Howard Green

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2018, 01:40:06 PM »
I am trying to break myself of that habit. I am now letting other ppl work on my cars cause I am sick of doing it. And it really is time consuming.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2018, 02:38:45 PM »
One thing I will say is that most folks haven't seen a big pro grade saw running with a sharp chain. When the do, they are amazed, and thinking how different that beast is to their dull chain box store toy. :D

That's what YH is doing with his little "Show and Tell" session.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2018, 03:02:05 PM »
Just buying a 261 I had no idea what a chainsaw was till getting that saw. and I know its still a toy compared to lots of other saws.

all my previous saws were.... well, junk comparatively.

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2018, 10:12:36 PM »
Ianab is right, many folks who visit are excited to be given a tour, see all the equipment, gawk and just have a good time while getting what they want.  Sometimes when I'm cutting cookies, I'll haul out the big dog and let it run.  I enjoy it as much as the customers, it makes selling cookies fun.  

Whats better than firing up the biggest, baddest chainsaw most customers have ever seen, hearing it scream, and watching the show?  Do you want a cookie, or do you want a COOKIE!  

Last weekend, I had a family that wanted a few cookies for table tops.  So I had them stand out of the way, and I picked up a log with the grapple and started sawing.  Out of the corner of my eye, standing by their car, I saw the little boy jumping up and down clapping.  It brought a smile to my face and the parents were very happy with their purchase.

To me, people who buy cookies are doing it for a reason bigger than a few cutoffs.  Once I talk to them and figure out what it is, then we head over to the showroom and I sell them the rest of what they need.  Maybe wood for a wedding table, or a bench or a wedding arch, or who knows.  Cookies are good appetizers for the main course.

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2018, 12:00:54 AM »
I got a request from a client for 30 cookies for a nephew's wedding.
Bark on, 16 to 18" in diameter and 2" thick.
He's given me most of my milling work in the past 6 years.

LT30G24, LT40G25
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2018, 12:08:03 AM »
'No problem' was my answer.
Winter cut bur oak will keep the bark on - mostly.
Cut the cookies a few days before the wedding. A Stihl 660 with a 36" bar.
Not nearly as kicka** as yellowhammer's demonstration, but then I don't work in front of a crowd.
The most difficult part?  The "just in time delivery" was the biggest challenge.
What is it about weddings that brings out the hyper in people?  :o 

LT30G24, LT40G25
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2018, 12:15:33 AM »

The client was the hero at the wedding.
The cookies looked nice and got a lot of compliments for him.
I'm still getting a ton of work from the same client.
My price? "No charge"
What you send 'round, comes 'round.
LT30G24, LT40G25
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2018, 12:50:37 AM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

The client was the hero at the wedding.
The cookies looked nice and got a lot of compliments for him.
I'm still getting a ton of work from the same client.
My price? "No charge"
What you send 'round, comes 'round.
   Man he must have really done some eye batting and hair tossing. Maybe even showed some serious ankle skin. :D :D :D

Howard Green

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2018, 06:39:57 AM »
I guess being tall makes you more handsome ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2018, 06:43:07 AM »
Andries,
You da man.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline dustyhat

• Share Post
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2018, 04:36:57 PM »
Well im sorry guys, but i did it again, Diversifying and doing custom work may bankrupt me, O well. She was a modern day Pocahontas i mean black hair dark skin and o them big brown eyes. i had that tune Chester sings from gun-smoke stuck in my head the rest of the day , you know (shes got them big eyes ) . She puts her arm around me and says show me how that stuff works ,and then drove off with a stack of ceder closet panels for ten bucks. i think word on the street is ( im easy ).lol
Running a custom built stationary bandmill with a slightly modded four cyl jeep go devil engine.

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2018, 05:05:43 PM »
 She was a modern day Pocahontas i mean black hair dark skin and o them big brown eyes. She puts her arm around me and says show me how that stuff works ,and then drove off with a stack of ceder closet panels for ten bucks. i think word on the street is ( im easy ).lol.
There are worse problems to have.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2018, 07:58:06 PM »
I guess being tall makes you more handsome ::).  
Danny,

Who said he was tall? That is a 12" bar on that toy chainsaw and that log end can't be over 16" :D

I did not saw or make any cookies today but did stack some stuff and went ahead and made me 2 cookie boxes using about 10' of 1X12 poplar and some 7/16" walnut from a trim cut. I got about 60 medium to small cookies in the 2 boxes. Maybe I need to make matching boxes for each type of cookie I cut.

Probably should have made 3 boxes instead of 2 big ones. These are almost heavy.

Howard Green

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2018, 08:40:43 PM »
I guess being tall makes you more handsome ::).  
Danny,

Who said he was tall?
Oh, he is tall.  Poston measured him at 5' 22" tall :D.  He is the guy in the back in this pic......

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
cookie question

Started by mike_van on General Board

1 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 07:40:01 PM
by Furby
xx
Question on Finshing a Big Cookie

Started by Lud on General Woodworking

39 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 12:21:44 PM
by downsouth