iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Ive not 'been there' in dollar amount on machine but ive been there.  It happens, theres a lot of worse troubles to have and youve made the best out of this misfortune as you can.  If you do just that for your entire life, it should average all out as a solid win.   

I just fixed a roof leak for a lady up the road who has a completely rotten new house.  I mean bad.  She paid 2 roofers and one inspector before the purchase and the "pros" said it was all good.  Some pro was willing to come pump in that $6.50 tube of solar seal that i laid down for $550 the next day but i beat him to it for free.

Be careful about trusting someone who has no liability after the transaction if their opinion turns out to be bupkis.  
Praise The Lord

Kim_Ked

Quote from: mike_belben on April 08, 2021, 08:23:09 AM
Ive not 'been there' in dollar amount on machine but ive been there.  It happens, theres a lot of worse troubles to have and youve made the best out of this misfortune as you can.  If you do just that for your entire life, it should average all out as a solid win.  

I just fixed a roof leak for a lady up the road who has a completely rotten new house.  I mean bad.  She paid 2 roofers and one inspector before the purchase and the "pros" said it was all good.  Some pro was willing to come pump in that $6.50 tube of solar seal that i laid down for $550 the next day but i beat him to it for free.

Be careful about trusting someone who has no liability after the transaction if their opinion turns out to be bupkis.  
Well its a situation where you cant really not fix it no matter the cost. Once your in the deep end you have to swim. Id really be taking a loss if it broke and I just sad to frig with with it. It had me a little steamed for a bit. However, its already shown me the potential to make me money and has more than paid for its own parts, luckily, we do most our own work and only send out the stuff that needs specialized care, pumps, manifolds, things like that.  A business venture of some sort has been in my cards for a while, thou I didn't really know what to do. Also, my wife and I have literally hundreds of acres. Id estimate close to 700. A lot has no access yet and I do want to build some roads and a cottage there someday. I've already built one really nice road since I got it across one of our fields. Also, as most folks do, my Dad always wants work done and has always said he wished he had an excavator to play with. 
Here ya go. Now he runs it full time. Between all the repairs of course.
All my buddys spending tons on these fancy four wheelers and side by sides, I just couldn't justify. So this was a better investment in my mind. 
Speaking of repairs.. I just got the hydraulic cooler back yesterday. Its a beauty. The old one was not repairable. They had to copy the old one, build all new tanks for it, then sent away for a custom core. It looks awesome! Good weather coming for tomorrow AM, its going in!  The last repair, for now... Well, other than the new FM radio antenna my Dads been asking for, that should be here today also.
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

Skip

Good to see a person who makes lemonade out of lemons  ;) I think as long as you keep that positive attitude your gonna do good . Sometimes ya gotta just bear down and ride it out .  Good luck to ya  :) .

teakwood

Quote from: Kim_Ked on April 09, 2021, 05:35:58 AMI just couldn't justify. So this was a better investment in my mind

X2 that's exactly how my mind works also!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

woodroe

Yesterday I was hell bent on twitching a 1/2 dozen Pine tree culls, 3 logs in some of them.
 Ongoing woodlot management thing
Got into some brush with the tractor and the brush got hung up on the axle beside the back tire.
Instead of stopping and cleaning it out I kept her going. Ended up breaking the valve stem off the 11.2 x 24 loaded tire.
I realized it when I felt a little liquid spray and hissing going on. What a mess
Fortunately I was handy to the yard so had it back up and running in a couple hrs but decided that was enough for one day and hosed all the slime off everything.
That'll teach me not to hurry, I hope.

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

mike_belben

Tension spring let go from one of the centrifugal flyweights inside the primary clutch, probably from the boy slipping it to death and heating the temper out of the spring.  It should all buff out. 

Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

mike_belben

Yeah, suzuki king quad 300.  Very impressed with the precision and parts availability/price.   
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Finily got the yanmar back from the machine shop and reassembled about 6 weeks ago, only to have it run for 10 minutes before it developed a nasty tick. Turns out the sleeves I had purchased from China were made of old Pepsi cans and wouldn't hold and started moving down in the block.

So back to the shop it went. This time I had the rods and mains on the crank cut, as well as custom thick wall American made sleeves pressed in.

Re-reassembly.

And she lives. Almost 10 hours on it now and working like a top.

My take away from this project is that I still hate working on Skid Steers with a passion. 100lbs of crap packed in a 10lbs bag makes for a nightmare.

PoginyHill

Never had my Grizzly apart. Doesn't it have a CVT? Like a snowmobile? Or is it fixed gearing with a centrifugal clutch?
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

chevytaHOE5674

His king quad 300 is a 5 speed manual with an "automatic" centrifugal clutch. 

Crusarius

@chevytahoe5674 what is that tube frame thing with the ag tires in the background? Looks like something very useful and fun.

chevytaHOE5674

Just a mfwd loader tractor. Using it to plop the SS motor in.

mike_belben

yeah, theres a 3 shoe centrifugal clutch on the crank that engages a drum on an idler.  that drum is the primary power to a dampened gear on the outside of a basketed conventional clutch with frictions and steels and a reverse clamping action.  when you move the shifter a camming mechanism opens the clutch packs for the shift.  its really unique and clever.  granted CVTs do what we need for cheaper now but back when honda and suzuki were pioneering this 4wd quad stuff who knew what was gonna work.  i might make a video about it.

you cant get parts for a shot 5 yr old chicom quad but you can still get most everything for a 30yr old jap machine with life still left in it.  what a difference.
Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

chevytaHOE5674

The old saying "they don't build them like they used to" holds true in tractors for sure. This tractor is a 2009 with 3800 hours on it and the axle bushing in the front planetary is shot along with the seal. Upon disassembly the wheel bearings are shot as well. To top it off someone has been inside here before as I doubt the factory used a chisel to tighten the spindle nut.

Here's the seal. It looked like this before removal.

The bushing. It fell out in my hand no removal tools necessary. Notice the shoulder worn to a razer edge.

The wheel bearing race. Notice the pitting. There is a noticeable lip worn in there also.

I have two other big 30 year old MFWD Fords with ZF front axles with over 12k hours and the front ends haven't been touched other than oil changes.

mike_belben

Who makes that steer axle?
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Its a CNH Fiat axle. According to the dealer this sort of repair is a 1500hr "maintance" type of job... His words were "get used to it and do them early before the gears and bushings get chewed up".

Hilltop366

Quote from: mike_belben on May 27, 2021, 09:57:46 AM
yeah, theres a 3 shoe centrifugal clutch on the crank that engages a drum on an idler.  that drum is the primary power to a dampened gear on the outside of a basketed conventional clutch with frictions and steels and a reverse clamping action.  when you move the shifter a camming mechanism opens the clutch packs for the shift.  its really unique and clever.  granted CVTs do what we need for cheaper now but back when honda and suzuki were pioneering this 4wd quad stuff who knew what was gonna work.  i might make a video about it.

you cant get parts for a shot 5 yr old chicom quad but you can still get most everything for a 30yr old jap machine with life still left in it.  what a difference.
That two clutch system has been around for quite a while, not sure who used it first but the little Honda Z50A had them back in the late 60's as well as the first Honda three wheelers 1970, 90 cc.
Remember when a 250cc was a big ATV! :D

Walnut Beast

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on May 27, 2021, 10:33:26 AM
The old saying "they don't build them like they used to" holds true in tractors for sure. This tractor is a 2009 with 3800 hours on it and the axle bushing in the front planetary is shot along with the seal. Upon disassembly the wheel bearings are shot as well. To top it off someone has been inside here before as I doubt the factory used a chisel to tighten the spindle nut.

Here's the seal. It looked like this before removal.

The bushing. It fell out in my hand no removal tools necessary. Notice the shoulder worn to a razer edge.

The wheel bearing race. Notice the pitting. There is a noticeable lip worn in there also.

I have two other big 30 year old MFWD Fords with ZF front axles with over 12k hours and the front ends haven't been touched other than oil changes.
I'm sure your furious but be thankful you have the talent to do the fixes yourself or you would be really furious.

chevytaHOE5674

Not really furious. Just a cost of doing business. Reaffirms my theory that the 30+ year old mechanical equipment will still be running long after the new stuff is crushed to make tuna cans. The new stuff sure is comfortable and user friendly when its running though, have no trouble putting the wife and 2 kids in that cab and letting them rip for 10 hours if need be.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

treemuncher

I needed to change out my "head float" bushings, again. I've been making these bushings from DOM tubing which is too ductile to keep from getting hammered out of round. Yes, these were 2.5" od x 2.0 id round when they started.

In order to take some of the ductility out of these, I figured it was worth a shot to try heat treating them to make them harder. I built this little kiln/oven a couple years ago from an old propane tank.

Parts were heated up to bright cherry red and then held there for an hour prior to immediate water quenching. Parts were returned to oven and allowed to cool slowly overnight.

Finished product next AM. I forgot to trim the length on one of these and it was noticeably harder to cut on the lathe. If I can just get the hardness up and remove most of the ductility, these should last a lot longer through the daily hammering that they take.

While working on the bushings, I found a lot of loose track pad bolts. Never had those issues with a regular dozer. And more concerning was the major crack next to the right lift cylinder and under the right cab mount. Of course to access this issue, I had to break the track down to get to the underside.

The factory likely had a TSB for the reinforcement plate to the left of the crack. That was installed before I purchased the machine. Engineers need to account for the heavy shock loading these machines take on to avoid these problems.

Lots of cracks to chase out. If I had the time, I would pull the cab and get to all of it. Too busy with jobs right now, maybe in the winter months.

For those of you that are using DOM tubing bushings, I found https://www.speedymetals.com/default.aspx  Parts arrived within 3-4 days, multiple sizes available, can be ordered by dimension or bulk and the prices seemed relatively fair. It's a lot faster for me to order cut-to-length and cut down on my machining time rather than waiting for a bulk order from my local metals dealers that stock nearly nothing.
TreeMuncher.com  Where only the chosen remain standing

mike_belben

speedy metals and online metals are the two best i have found.  

save up a bucket of jet black old detroit oil.  heat the parts with a carburizing sooty black torch flame until they are covered in black soot.  then heat until it disappears into it.. youll be cooking a bit of carbon into the surface layer.  you can do a few cycles of this and then do your furnace cook-athon to get a uniform temp. 

now add more carbon with a quench in that old coked up detroit oil.  but dont postheat after the quench, just quench it cold. your DOM is probably 1018,  1020 or 1026 steel so they arent gonna get brittle.  not enough carbon.. could be hotroll or cold roll.  cold drawn would be better.  a slow cool will likely resoften a bit if im remembering correctly.  something about martensitic, austenitic etc that i cant recall.  
Praise The Lord

Resonator

You would do good on that show where they have to make Samurai swords out of ball bearings and rusty chainsaw chain. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!