The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Daily carnage thread  (Read 22666 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Daily carnage thread
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2020, 09:21:02 AM »
Thanks gang.  Where is the service/run switch located?  

I havent had much work since thanksgiving eric, dont tease me with visions of fat pay checks!   ;D
Revelation 3:20

Offline Randy88

• Share Post
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2020, 01:52:34 PM »
On the older units, it was in the fuse holder area inside the cab, upper right hand side in the frame you had a cover to swing open and them flipped the toggle switch.   I honestly don't know for sure on the 170 machines, ran one a dozen times this fall but never paid any attention to that or if they were the same as the older units, but I'm sure they have one still inside the cab somewhere, the rest of the machine hadn't been changed much, doubt the computer and electronics were either.    

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2020, 06:26:43 AM »
Thanks gang.  Where is the service/run switch located?  

I havent had much work since thanksgiving eric, dont tease me with visions of fat pay checks!   ;D

RH side, in the overhead on the cab edge sitting inside. 

Half the battle of this industry Mike is just getting your foot in the door, you've got the twic so your halfway to a Z-card anyway, 

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2020, 07:11:49 AM »
If my calendar and memory are correct, you should be headed home around mid-week?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-13 still feel OK and am retired
    • Share Post
« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2020, 08:34:45 AM »
Just went thru this thread for the first time.
More Bubble gum! More bailing wire!
Makes me glad my oldest rolling machine is a 2007 with only 1600 hrs.
Only one leaking hydraulic cylinder so far, and one flat tire.
Of course I am only a hobby guy and dont have to rely on my stuff for a living like you fellows.
I do have a 42 yr old home built wood splitter on its second engine now.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2020, 10:30:40 AM »
Forgot all about this thread even though I had my fair share of carnage this year.

Started the summer by have hydraulic issues with a tractor. It has a closed center load sensing system and it was getting "hung" in high pressure and going over relief all the time heating the oil to scorching levels within minutes of running. So had plumbed in gauges to pinpoint things.

That was all well and good until my gauge was sticking out and the 3 point ripped the pressure pipe right off the valve block.

Pulled out the combing valve (tractor uses two open center gear pumps in tandem) to find a broken spring keeper and other trash stuck in there.

That resulted in pulling the pumps and locating the source of the trash which was a detent spring from the loader valve. So one new pump, new loader valve, bunch of new orings and backup seals, multiple system flushes and I was back in business.

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2020, 10:41:45 AM »
Should mention while all that was going on it was the middle of hay season and I was down an important tractor that I use for mowing and loading hay.

So while that tractor was down waiting for parts I was driving back from a custom hay baling job when I heard a pop and before I could figure out what it was this happened.

One of the wedge bolts on the rim broke and off the wheel came. Smashing the fender off the tractor, bending the cab a little, and crunching the side panel on my new to me pristine baler. After a day of getting the tractor jacked up, and the dual on I was able to limp home. Next day tried to bale hay and the tractor kept overheating. Turns out the crank and water pump pulleys were worn forcing the v-belt to flip inside out and slip. So the tractor had to be split in front of the engine go have room to get the balancer pulley off.

Also in there was a spindle snapped off the gooseneck trailer.

A few flat tires.

A forwarder axle rebuild.

And probably a whole bunch of things I've forgot already.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2020, 11:06:38 AM »
If my calendar and memory are correct, you should be headed home around mid-week?
 Sitting between Bannermans island and Storm king waiting out the fog, as long as we are to the city for Tuesday I'm good. Rumor mill says it's going to be in Eastchester / Bronx which works out ok. Gf leaves for work 1hr before I get home, she's not dealing with tugboating very well. Wednesday morning may sound like Eric Church's "wrecking ball", I should send flowers and a card to the neighbors now. 

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2020, 11:45:08 AM »
Chevy, that's some carnage fo' sho'! 

Barge, you sure are tough on relationships😊
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »
Sitting between Bannermans island and Storm king waiting out the fog, as long as we are to the city for Tuesday I'm good. Rumor mill says it's going to be in Eastchester / Bronx which works out ok. Gf leaves for work 1hr before I get home, she's not dealing with tugboating very well. Wednesday morning may sound like Eric Church's "wrecking ball", I should send flowers and a card to the neighbors now.
I just checked the sat photo, looks like you may be there for a while, but there also might be a window if you can use it. There has been some lifting up here, but still pretty dank.
 Sorry about the GF. The away/home time is just part of the job/paycheck and you can't change that. Maybe you should send flowers to the GF first? Just sayin'.  :D
 I gotta get back to the shop. Good Luck and glad to see my memory is still working pretty well.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2020, 11:24:51 PM »
Dang tahoe.. God bless ya.  

Few months ago i scattered the damper plate on the petercar clutch out in NC.  Did manage to get my load delivered and get back to base to pull trans and do a bunch of maintenance.  Other than that pretty quiet here with the exception of an RV furnance i am all too tired of fixing.  

My bobcat, dozer and forklift are all broken right now.  And ive found that if i dont fix them, they dont break any other parts.. so thats working out pretty good. 

Offline bushmechanic

• Senior Member x2
  • Someone else has it worse than you.
    • Share Post
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2020, 06:42:30 AM »
Well I might as well add to this thread as well! First day back to the woods this fall and got to 4:00 pm before this happened...

<br

and what it looked like after bush repair(welding)

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »
What brand of forwarder is that, bushmechanic?
Too many irons in the fire

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2020, 01:49:32 PM »
Thanks gang.  Where is the service/run switch located?  

I havent had much work since thanksgiving eric, dont tease me with visions of fat pay checks!   ;D
I need a driver Mike, if you make it up this way we could keep you pretty busy I guess.  Give me a ring if you still have my number.
Liking Walnut

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2020, 02:33:05 PM »
What brand of forwarder is that, bushmechanic?
Sure looks like a 1010D in the yellow flavor.

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2020, 06:44:24 PM »
My turn.  Today's carnage occurred in front of about 60 impressionable teenagers.  I was using the Kubota M7060 with the front end loader to remove soil from some parking lot islands in the teachers' parking lot.  All was going well.  The students were removing the soil and weeds that I could not get with the bucket in preparation for the compost we are going to add before we plant.

Anyway, as I was exiting Island #5 with a bucket full of sand and weeds driving over the curb (low, 1) a whoosh of air left the tire and the wheel immediately smashed into the sharp edge of the curb, substantially bending it.  I couldn't remove the wheel where it was so I inched forward until I had a little room to work.  We removed the wheel, went to the ag shop and began massaging the wheel back into a shape that resembled circular with a 10 lb hammer.  Surprisingly, the wheel was not too difficult to reform but getting the tire back on the bead required a ratchet strap tourniquet and a lot of dish soap.  Back in business within the hour.

I'm sure there will be more before the end of the week. 

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #176 on: September 08, 2020, 07:26:02 PM »
Well I might as well add to this thread as well! First day back to the woods this fall and got to 4:00 pm before this happened...
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

<br(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

and what it looked like after bush repair(welding)(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

i put bearings in my 646 valmet a couple yrs ago. mine looked bigger than that and the nut was a lot bigger. i had a socket sort of. made to fit it it must weigh 15 lbs. then torque multiplier to 3\4 torque wrench set at 330. yet it seems there is always a slight amount of play in it even with a 1000 lb on it

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2020, 09:32:00 PM »
Forgot all about this thread even though I had my fair share of carnage this year.

Started the summer by have hydraulic issues with a tractor. It has a closed center load sensing system and it was getting "hung" in high pressure and going over relief all the time heating the oil to scorching levels within minutes of running. So had plumbed in gauges to pinpoint things.

That was all well and good until my gauge was sticking out and the 3 point ripped the pressure pipe right off the valve block.

Pulled out the combing valve (tractor uses two open center gear pumps in tandem) to find a broken spring keeper and other trash stuck in there.

That resulted in pulling the pumps and locating the source of the trash which was a detent spring from the loader valve. So one new pump, new loader valve, bunch of new orings and backup seals, multiple system flushes and I was back in business.
What kinda tractor was it?

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2020, 11:35:13 AM »
About 1am, 2 winters ago now i lost a wheel hub while driving to work.  Well, i was about 2 miles from the house and realized the spindle nut had stripped and very carefully got turned around.  Idling back in low hole a few houses up the road it dump the hub, wrecked a new tire, the qtr fender etc.  Calling for the tow before hand woulda been cheaper and smarter i guess. 

Life got in the way while i looked for a spindle and all that.  ive just now cleaned out the shrapnel and grease, the  shrunk out the races.  realizing how bad the inner seal surface got machined. 

Time to have lunch, flip the laundry and get that mess figured out. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #179 on: September 20, 2020, 01:27:05 PM »
Well, 2 sad events to post.  International went to a beefier inner spindle shank with otherwise the same forge casting,  and from a 205 to 207 series bearing on the inside wheel bearing so the new bearing race wont go in my hub.  I brought an outer bearing to check the spindle at junkyards because the inner exploded.  

Im waiting to hear back from timken if there is a bearing that will allow me to avoid boring my hub or turning my spindle down.. Neither of which i want to do.    The cost of owning obsolete stuff. 

Yesterday i had henry start the forktruck.  Then i ran it and it sounded terrible.. I thought man its gotta be out of oil and turned the key off.  It stayed running because i hadnt killed the fuel shutoff..and the sound went away...  Because boy had the key stuck in the crank position and the bendix was running into the spinning flywheel.  It started last night but not today.  And wouldnt ya know it the hardened bendix gear ate the soft flywheel.  Sure would be nicer to replace a bendix.  

"Oh youre lucky to have all that equipment" is one of those phrases that makes me want to choke someone. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Daily Fabrication Thread

Started by mike_belben on Forestry and Logging

447 Replies
Last post October 22, 2020, 09:32:24 AM
by zinc oxide
xx
Carnage

Started by Maine logger88 on Forestry and Logging

11 Replies
Last post December 05, 2019, 06:15:56 AM
by snowstorm