iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacotodd

I bet that the Detroit is made for that replacement. They make them for LOTS of different things.
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

Way to get it done Ramon 

smiley_thumbsup
Praise The Lord

kiko

Teakwood, those hoses would cost that much or more around here for quality hose.

barbender

I was thinking the same thing, kiko.
Too many irons in the fire

Firewoodjoe

I just paid $500 for two 48"x1" 4 braid flat face hoses. Everything is stupid expensive these days. I've been buying 1 1/4 pins for $22 each and just bought two more they almost tripled in price. Best they could knock down to was $38 each. Guess I'll be buying a 20 foot stick. 

teakwood

Quote from: kiko on March 26, 2021, 06:26:02 PM
Teakwood, those hoses would cost that much or more around here for quality hose.
Really, didn't know that. It was 5 hoses, 6.4m (21') of hose, parker 4000psi, 10 flat face ends which uses orings and of course the work to press them. was like 720$ but i cried a little and they gave me a super discount for cash paying to 600$ final price.
the cyl kit i got from ebay for 100$ Mottrol USA, AM parts. Volvo was 300$ and just lasted for 6years and 1000h of use, so i thought what the heck i try a quality AM brand this time.  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

kiko

UV light destroys the material in the rod wiper, then dust gets to the main rod seal.
Painting the wiper with an artist brush will make the wiper last much longer. Most original cylinders have the wiper painted.

mike_belben

Thats good to know!  Thanks kiko.
Praise The Lord

teakwood

finally did the slewing bearing seal. actually wasn't that bad to do it after all. 4h of cleaning was the worst but in about 1h i had the new seal in.

the old and the new

i used a piece of wood and rounded the edges

had to get intimate with the machine

teakwood

What an idiot, was probably drunk. an easy 50$ for 15min of work, 200m from my house

nas

Are there any drunk driving laws in CR?

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

kiko

Getting it done here as well.

mike_belben

Boy that looks alot like work!
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Teakwood, is it an impression, or,

those two nipples haven't seen much grease in their life no?

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

nativewolf

@teakwood Well done.  @kiko what's that off of?  

We've got a hydraulic tank gasket seal to replace in a month, a bit of seep.  Had to fix a rotator grapple leak the other day and did not get pictures but so far simply tightening bolts and a tapered wedge has stopped it.  What else?  Son taped a hydraulic fitting on a crane slew cylinder, not damaged too badly.  I've got 3 replacement fittings somewhere and that we'll do with the tank seal.  We've got the machine almost dry, 18 months of chasing leaks.   The fuel issues in saws is probably our biggest headache, we've changed gas stations thinking that there is an issue in the stations tanks or something.  

Liking Walnut

teakwood

Quote from: nas on April 02, 2021, 01:26:33 PM
Are there any drunk driving laws in CR?

Nick
Yes they are, including with jail. limit is 0.39. but there are like 600 traffic policemen for the whole country and in rural areas there aren't much controls.
We have no army but like 25 different polices, it's a mess. a normal policemen can't give you any traffic ticket  

teakwood

Quote from: Satamax on April 03, 2021, 04:13:06 AM
Teakwood, is it an impression, or,

those two nipples haven't seen much grease in their life no?

Actually they have seen too much grease. a fault of mine was to overgrease the slewing bearing, but also the age of the machine, 21. uv light is very strong here

kiko

Don P

I haven't fired up the old F700 and knuckleboom in about a year. I needed to set another stick of 3' culvert behind the sawmill so fired it up and it sounded a little funny but ran ok, well for awhile, then the revs started dropping, it started getting hot, no pedal, something was wrong. I thought it was fuel so got a new filter and drained the tank. Everything looked fine there but threw in fresh fuel and same problem. I walked around, stuck my hand down by the drivers side exhaust, fine, continued around and stuck my hand down by the passengers exhaust, nothing! A-hahh! I stuck a wire up as far as I could this morning and got nothing, dove under and it is welded solid from the donut on. So dropped the whole works and acorns come rolling out  :D. She's noisy and straight piped but that was it. Culvert is in and about half backfilled, the pile was wet as was the creek bank so went till the bobcat was dragging belly, hopefully the rain will hold off for a few days.

Hilltop366

Crusarius

every time I open the hood on any of my vehicles all I hear is hickory nuts rolling around.

Kim_Ked

Quote from: teakwood on April 02, 2021, 09:38:48 AM
finally did the slewing bearing seal. actually wasn't that bad to do it after all. 4h of cleaning was the worst but in about 1h i had the new seal in.

the old and the new

i used a piece of wood and rounded the edges

had to get intimate with the machine

I had no idea you can change these. 
I have a 15 ton Daewoo that the seal is all broken out and cracked on. I'm going to have to call the stealership to see if they can get the replacement seal.  
I'm in the middle of my last big repair now. I'm getting the hydraulic cooler rebuilt. The previous owner ended up ramming a stick through it and soldered a patch over the damage. Its been leaking slowly ever since I got it. Not a cheap repair at just over 3K$.....
The rest of the machine has been done. One new final drive, all rebuilt cylinders, rebuilt the center manifold, overhauled the hydraulic pump end to end, new set of chains and a few new pads, rebuilt the chain tensioners, repaired the radiator, and getting the heater core re-cored. Not to mention replacing just about every line on the machine.....  Just off the top of my head. 
Its a 1995 machine but I call it a 2020 model now. I'm defiantly going to give this a go though.
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

teakwood

Wow, that's a lot of repairs. How much did you spent? wasn't it cheaper to buy a newer machine?

Kim_Ked

Quote from: teakwood on April 07, 2021, 08:15:50 AM
Wow, that's a lot of repairs. How much did you spent? wasn't it cheaper to buy a newer machine?
Well......
It was an Excavator / Harvester combo. 15 ton machine. 
When I went to look at it, I took my wife's step dad, owner for many years. As well as my uncle, operator for his entire life. We noticed a few things leaky and such as you would expect on an old machine. I didn't know anything about them but the guys jumped in, moved it around and figured it was all good. We know the original owner had a crate engine dropped in years just prior to so its really runs beautifully. They didn't pick out anything accept a loose track that was agreed upon it just needed to be pumped out. Assuming that I was looking after inspecting the harvester they all though I got a good buy on it. The harvester doesn't frighten me in the least as machines are my forte. The excavator on the other hand, froze up the day I got it home. The center manifold was gone so bad as well as the rubber membrane on top of it that water literally poured through the machine, filling up the center cavity and leaving it unable to turn. Now, I know all about center manifolds, how they work, what they do and how to swap one out. I also started rebuilding cylinders as soon as I got it. This stuff wasn't to bad. Then the hydraulic pump failed. It didn't blow up or anything, just started leaking through the rear shaft seal. So, I learned all about pumps, and how to change them, I did mine twice thanks to the little goof up at the hydraulics shop.
Then the rad needed to be fixed. Kind of expected that to as there was empty cans of radiator stop leak strewn through the machine, which I figure was the root cause for my recent troubles with the thermostat and heater core, both of which are brand new now! 
Then the track pin broke, back in the woods. This is when I realized the chains were so bad, the original owner actually removed a link! I had to get a pin made to get the machine home. Then I learned all about rebuilding the tensioning system and how much work is involved in swapping a set of chains and moving all the pads over. 
The hydraulic cooler comes back today and I have learned a lot through this as well about the hydraulics. The circuit, the flow, the cooling, not a cheap lesson, but... 
Oh, and during all this, a final drive blew apart. Not to bad, it was 5600$ to my door step.
This is certainly leaving out a lot of more minor things I have done.
Long story short.. I didn't expect to spend this kind of money on the machine. I thought I had the right guys with me to go look at it, I was wrong! The owner also lied, A LOT and was really a POS, he owned the machine since new and insisted it needed about 5K worth of work. At the time, I didn't see where I could spend 5K. LOLOLOLOLOL. I guess I see how quick 5K can go on this thing. 
What saved me, is the fact that in between break downs, I was fiddling with the harvester head and cutting wood. I cant say its completely paid for itself yet, but certainly has paid for all its own repairs thus far. Not to mention. I know these or at least this model of machine decently well now. The experience has been good but its been a lot of work and has taken any spare minute I may have. I would be very confident now going to look at another excavator, without the helpful eye of the others that didn't see any issues with this one!
All in all, aside from the experience, I own the 15 ton excavator and  Arbro 1000 all in amazing working order and maintained to the fullest for less than the cost of 1 new Arbro harvester alone. (MSRP 69K) In the coming weeks its starting to work for others to, finally. I'm hoping this can take off, Id like to give it more attention and a little less attention to food processing plants like I'v done for 20 years now. I just want to get outside. If it takes off, then I'm prepared to invest more in it.    Or I could sell it, Invest my time in something else if it doesn't take off. Iv had several inquiries to sell, but I haven't entertained any yet as I know a new excavator of this caliber is knocking 200$ plus plus plus for plumbing and controls.
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

teakwood

Sorry for all the troubles you had on the machine, on the other hand life is a learning curve and you're surely an expert now on your machine. i like the repairs and fideling around the machines, every time i learn something new

Thank You Sponsors!