iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Distance between toeboards

Started by Merlin, August 16, 2018, 07:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Good Morning,
I am starting to modify a few things on my mill and have started to build some roller toe boards. My question is how far apart are they typically setup on the mill? I plan on making them permanent so I won't be moving them. 
Thanks
2018 LT15 Wide, 2012 Kubota M8540 w FEL, Norse 390 logging winch, IH 484 w FEL, several Stihl Chainsaws. 115 acre family farm with NFLD ponies, a few beef cows, 1 Border Collie, a very understanding wife and 2 great kids.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

tmbrcruiser

Not sure what the correct distance will be for you, each person has their own style of cutting and majority of log lengths my differ too. For me I have three toe rollers 6' between first and second, 8' between second and third.  They are hydraulic also. 

Good luck and happy sawing!
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Magicman

Mine are ~8' apart and are installed on the front side of both the front and back stationary bed rails.  I wish that the toeboard was on the back of the front rail which would make them ~7½' apart and make handling an 8' log easier.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

92" centre to centre on a Wood-Mizer LT40. They are position roughly 4" in front of the bed rails so if you have a log 8'-2" long it will just barely fit on the rear bed rail and just barely get lifted by the front roller. If the log is an inch too far back it will roll/slide back and drop off the front toeboard while it's lifting. (which illustrates what MagicMan is complaining about). An extra couple of inches closer together would have been nice.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!