The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Blow down salvage  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
Re: Blow down salvage
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
That's a good policy to follow. We often have a problem with the landowner who want to get right up close to the cutter or harvester to watch what's happening to their trees. We educate them quick to "stay away" even though they own the property. ;)

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2018, 07:16:48 PM »
Oh gosh, I could write a book on some of these landowners or just gawkers that get too close to the machines! I used too always be on the lookout for little kids, these days I'm more concerned when I see old men in the area!😊 At least I know when kids will be in school, the old fellas will be underfoot at all hours🙃 I came VERY close to backing over an elderly landowner last week. He came out to have a look and drove up directly behind my fully loaded forwarder while I was unloading in his Suburban. I started backing up to my bolt pile, I had a random thought, remembering the processor operator had mentioned that the landowner kept coming out and parking where he was felling timber. So I turned the machine to the side a bit so I could see behind myself, well there was the Suburban sitting there, about 8' behind me. I hadn't personally met the fellow yet, as it turns out he has fused vertebrae in his neck so he can't raise his head or look to the side. So for him to back up his vehicle takes very slow, deliberate action. In short, he drove right up behind me into a spot he couldn't back out of.  Thank God he gave me the premonition there was something behind me. After my major screw up earlier this year backing into one of our trucks, the last thing I needed was to crush a landowners vehicle (and potentially the landowner, too!)- even though this one wouldn't have been my fault. Starting to think about one of those back up cameras. Anyhow, I'm not one to chew a person out, it's just not my nature, and especially when it is an older person that you are working for (I was raised to be respectful of my elders👍) but I had to kind of hit the override button and let the fella have it a bit. I just told him that he can not come up behind me in any circumstance, and if he wanted to watch he would have to stay out of the landing area. I didn't yell at him, I was just very, very firm. In all my working career, the only thing I have lost my cool with people about is when they repeatedly put themselves in dangerous situations around the machines. I just don't want to run someone over!
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2018, 07:28:37 PM »
Have you guys ever thought about putting cutting gates up? Doing certain company ground we are required to put up a mesh gate where they have to call out before entering the work area.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2018, 09:43:45 PM »
That's a good idea, we need to do something. Our main problem is on the private lots we do.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2018, 03:54:10 PM »
Any and all info you guys can share and explain about removing hung up and blown down/over trees would be a great resource for those who will be effected by Hurricane Florence in the coming week as its looking to run right into North Carolina with 130-140 mph winds.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »
Ughh; man I hope this stays out to sea.  We have had the wettest summer ever, ground is soaked.  Rained three inches this weekend, I'm going to have a huge mess on our hands if this comes through.  In fact, i might have to do tree work instead of harvesting.
Liking Walnut

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2018, 05:10:13 PM »
Any and all info you guys can share and explain about removing hung up and blown down/over trees would be a great resource for those who will be effected by Hurricane Florence in the coming week as its looking to run right into North Carolina with 130-140 mph winds.
I sympathies go out to those of you in the path. We have to deal with hurricanes here in VT extremely rarely (and then it's usually only the remnants of one). On the other hand, losing power in a wind/ice storm in the winter (especially when below zero) is no fun either.

Be careful doing storm damage cleanup. That can be an extremely dangerous undertaking. Tips given over the internet can help, especially if you already have a strong base of experience to build on and know your limitations and that of your equipment. However, there is no substitute for some hands-on learning with someone experienced at storm damage cleanup.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Blow down

Started by Rhodemont on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post October 05, 2020, 01:03:59 PM
by mike_belben
xx
boy did I blow this one

Started by tstex on Chainsaws

19 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 12:31:12 AM
by timber tramp