The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Stihl 090 Cannon 84" Bar Slab Build  (Read 2486 times)

Offline jemmy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Stihl 090 Cannon 84" Bar Slab Build
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 12:46:01 AM »
YellowHammer, I have/am taking your advice and pushing my chips in on my circle mill. I am almost finished securing the track extensions, and I think in a week I will be to the point where either the mill or I will win. I was speaking about using this slabbing unit to produce rough sawn lumber for my egg layer house. I know it will be very very very slowww but I need to have it built and finished before the consistent cold/harsh weather comes. 

Thank you all for the responses, I have been leaning towards the individual railing set up so far. Seems like an easier to set up, faster production, and easier to design/execute. That barn door railing is pretty gosh darn genius, but I do not know how it would fare against my current mill, it is a lumbering beast. I did find your vertical adjustment and horizontal support to be helpful!

Thank you all again for the help

Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes with a grin. - Grandpa Chuck

Offline jemmy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Stihl 090 Cannon 84" Bar Slab Build
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 02:45:14 AM »
Im going to do some form of a track system outside the frame of the motor and bar so that the railing system can be supported infinitely from the side. And I am thinking some form of DIY jack stands/heavy duty/quick adjust/tripod/bottle jack/, or machine shop style with some plate wielding and ratchet straps through the beams to lock it all into place.... I am thinking some 20 ft 2" thick square tubing and welding some simple railing systems atop. Just need to figure out jack tripod. It is rare for a cut longer than 20ft and I have plenty of projects that can keep me busy with this thing for now. I like that it can process 60" plus of wood. Even to quarter things up its a nice tool to have at this stage for me. Any links on how to locate the best tracks, and wheels? or should I just pan through some builds and what not? Thoughts on this approach? 
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes with a grin. - Grandpa Chuck

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mounting Cannon S2 (big Stihl) 42" bar on MS661 (small Stihl)

Started by neildorin on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 06:01:44 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
880 Magnum with 50" Cannon Superbar

Started by TimT on Chainsaws

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2016, 06:35:48 AM
by Ada Shaker
xx
66" Cannon Double-ended Milling Bar Drive Link Count