The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: band saw mill project  (Read 8630 times)

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: band saw mill project
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2019, 07:47:55 PM »
@ Woodpecker ... hmm like the name  "the beast"..might work haha.............. ....@Hilltop366...Interesting power source for sure.. 2 hrs to get the motor out...4 hrs to remove dash and remove complete wiring harness...bench testing gonna be real fun i bet :-\..always liked good challenge..haha
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
log arch
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2019, 08:25:22 PM »

... Since there is a log arch topic.. i just finished mine up

the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline RAYAR

• Full Member x2
  • Retired May 2/19 more time to play with my mill
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2019, 02:51:33 AM »
Nice log arch. That's a project I'm planning on doing too.
mobile manual mill (local build) (mods & additions on-going)
Shop built auto band sharpener
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: band saw mill project..lifting head assembly..(new motor and gearbox)
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2019, 11:32:35 AM »

After several months.. the mill is on the front burner again...just installed a 24volt electric forklift motor (permanent magnet) and a bigger gearbox (ratio180 to1) tried it out yesterday and was finally happy about the speed lifting the head assembly up at about 6sec. per foot...even tho the engine is not installed yet i seemed to have plenty HP for the extra 200 pds 

Offline RAYAR

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2019, 11:56:20 AM »
It's nice to see that your mill build is progressing again.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: band saw mill project..lifting head assembly..(new motor and gearbox)
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2019, 07:16:22 AM »
... @ RAYRAR..hopefully i'll be making sawdust by next year..got my two barrels of wast oil for heat thumbs-up... next few weeks will be installing the echo engine.

Offline RAYAR

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »
With that waste oil heat, you'll have a warm place to get your mill ready to go. Mine is still set up at the shop in town, not sure if it's going to stay there for the winter or tow it home.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »
I have to give the OP a hand,very creative ideas to say the least .As the old saying goes ,"one mans junk is another mans treasure " smiley_clapping

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2019, 07:44:07 PM »
God forbid that saw beam binds somewhere, it doesn't look like that motor and gearbox will be waiting around for it xD

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2019, 07:38:40 AM »
...Tks Al Smith.....lotsa good thinker and fabers on here to comment and help anyway they can thumbs-up                                                                                 @JohsNZ.... motor will turn a few turns after the power is off so i'm not to concerned..more concerned if my gearbox chain breaks..i don't have the safety like acme rods...  was doing more test Sat while standing on the head part (180 pds "engine weight") still raising about 7-8 sec per foot..

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2019, 10:39:51 AM »
Truth be known a lot of us tinkers and puttsers must have came from the same bolt of cloth .I like the challenge  myself . ;)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2019, 10:52:57 AM »
If that reduction unit is a worm gear you won't get an overhauling load heavy enough to over ride it .Big heavy link chain takes a lot to break it .
I suppose there's options for a back up dampening  device in case of a failure for safety reasons .Could be long air cylinders with check valves which would act like shock absorbers or a ratchet /pawl device ,inertia brake .You'll figure it out I have no doubt .

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2019, 07:59:06 AM »

Finally bench started my echo engine for the bandsaw yesterday..after i get it bolted on with rad exhaust and fuel pump installed can i dissect most of the wiring :-\... a carburated engine would of been so simple 

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2019, 08:03:49 AM »
I was so ready to cannibalize my old saturn SL2 for a new mill. but I felt the added size and weight would not gain me anything in the end.

I dunno. I may still do it on the next version. We will see.

Offline Woodpecker52

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
My woodmizer cuts anything I want with a 14hp k holer motor.  I use to have a 671 Detroit diesel but would never want it mounted on a band saw head.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2019, 07:14:37 AM »
@ Woopecker52 ..i wouldn't want a 671 Detroit either (heavy and loud)          .....
 Crusarius... few reason i'm going with a 4cyl auto engine ..quiet.. fuel efficient(probably as much as any 2cyl winding at 3000 rpm) I'm aiming at between 1200 and 1500 RPM.. lottsa HP since i'll eventually go full hydraulics and need that power for lifting those big logs...was thinking a 3cyl GEO engine would have worked nice too with much less weight and less wiring..my two cents
   @ Al Smith   those are good ideals...i'll look into them when i'm at that point tks                                                                                                                

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2019, 09:30:37 AM »
It's none of my business but I would think trying to adapt a fairly modern automobile engine to run as a power source to anything would be a gigantic pain in the behind .Firstly it would have to be governed which would be a big enough deal if it were carbureted and a bigger pain if were fuel injected .
Then you have a cooling system that doesn't have the benefit of having air move past it like on a car .
In addition running at a lower RPM than in a car it won't produce the same HP .Probably enough but it won't be 100 HP .For example my old Oliver crawler has an industrial version of a 1954 Chevy six only more robust ,bearings etc .The Chevy was around 90 HP the Ollie  is about 34-35 .I'm not saying it can't be done but it's going to be a job .Nothing mechanical is impossible though . ;)

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2019, 02:11:24 PM »
It's none of my business but I would think trying to adapt a fairly modern automobile engine to run as a power source to anything would be a gigantic pain in the behind .Firstly it would have to be governed which would be a big enough deal if it were carbureted and a bigger pain if were fuel injected .
Then you have a cooling system that doesn't have the benefit of having air move past it like on a car .
In addition running at a lower RPM than in a car it won't produce the same HP .Probably enough but it won't be 100 HP .For example my old Oliver crawler has an industrial version of a 1954 Chevy six only more robust ,bearings etc .The Chevy was around 90 HP the Ollie  is about 34-35 .I'm not saying it can't be done but it's going to be a job .Nothing mechanical is impossible though . ;)
that is what I'm facing right now. adapting an industrial 4cyl diesel, plus the cooling, to run my mill. it is though rated for 100 hp @ 2400 rpm, which i calculated the pulley size to run at 2200 rpm, since that is what the high idle solenoid was set at, according to the tach. i was able to adjust the linkage a lil and get around 2350 rpm. my first challenge is to get it running again. i yanked all the wiring and the generator head out of it, and was able to get it to run afterwards, but just long enough to to run the fuel lines dry. now, i can't even get it power to the switch, yet all switches test fine, wires test fine and i know iv got 12v to the system bc i bump it over at the starter. i HATE electrical.  :'( :'(
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2019, 05:08:28 PM »
Well if it's any consolation adding my navy time I had over 50 years of doing electrical work .Low voltage,like 12 volts  doesn't take much to render it non working .It can drive you bonkers trying to find it .Does me ! Fact just today it took me an hour to figure out why my dang tractor wouldn't start .  >:(

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2019, 06:36:16 PM »
Well if it's any consolation adding my navy time I had over 50 years of doing electrical work .Low voltage,like 12 volts  doesn't take much to render it non working .It can drive you bonkers trying to find it .Does me ! Fact just today it took me an hour to figure out why my dang tractor wouldn't start .  >:(
Well, after starting at it for the past few hrs and tracing wires, jumpering terminals and accidentally burning out some kind of rectifier that was brand new, trying to bypass 2 safety switches (oil psi and temp), i think i might have figured out how to rewire it. I can get it to start but the starter solenoid stays engaged and when i rmv the jumper wire, it dies. This thing has 2 starter relays (old ford fender well 4 post starter solenoids), 1 for the eng and 1 just for the injector pump fuel shut off solenoid. 
It has 2 cannon plugs that i want to keep but i think in order to rewire and bypass those switches, im gonna have to splice wires in and out of the cannon plugs, bc i dont have any pin/socket instal/rmvl tools. If the splicing works, iíll have to add wiring anyhow, so ill use the splice joints to add in my extra length of wire. 
The odd thing is though, all power in is routed to the starter solenoid first, then off to other areas, instead starting at 1 of the 2 relays, then to the starter. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: band saw mill project

Started by chet on General Board

0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2019, 08:20:33 AM
by chet
xx
band sawmill project

Started by Leggman on Sawmills and Milling

67 Replies
Last post June 01, 2015, 01:20:47 PM
by PC-Urban-Sawyer
xx
Why are there more smaller Band Mill operators here then circle mill?

Started by MaddiesDad on Sawmills and Milling

26 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 03:18:06 PM
by TexasTimbers
question
Band mill or chainsaw mill?

Started by AVF on Sawmills and Milling

26 Replies
Last post January 26, 2016, 10:02:11 PM
by outpost22