The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Rottne Rapid Harvester issue  (Read 1227 times)

Offline taurus

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Rottne Rapid Harvester issue
« on: January 21, 2019, 05:38:05 PM »
My friends rottne wheel harvester(1991 with 4cyl turbo ford engine) is only working on front wheels. I think it is an electrical or air problem possibly even just air lines froze up as it had the issue one other day but after it warmed up, it worked on all wheels. but is there a way to manually lock the rears in and override the electric/air system for it?  also has anyone else ever had this issue.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Rottne Rapid Harvester issue
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 09:41:47 PM »
Sorry, I am not familiar with that machine. The Ponsse machines I am familiar with, can be shifted out of 4wd (for a lack of a better term) it's electrical and I assume solenoid actuated. No air controls anywhere except on the seat.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline 1Islander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 11:31:17 PM »
Hey Taurus. The exact same thing happened to me. How to you get this issue resolved? Or maybe I bought ther harvester your friend sold?

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 06:17:34 AM »
if its a rapid its 6 wheel. if it is 6 wheel there is a switch to shut off the wagon drive. wiring problem or something going on with the electric valve. small door that swings down just ahead of the center pins. yup lay under it. take the plug off and or magnet dont recall witch one it is. there is 3 or 4 there

Offline 1Islander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 12:07:38 PM »
Yes it's a 6wd Rapid. I have power at the wagon drive switch. I also have an issue with the high idle, power at the switch but nothing running. I believe that it also operates with air. I haven't drained the air tank in a while. I figure it froze up now. I don't have an air guage in the cab so I am going to install on elsewhere to make sure I have all kinds of pressure. Yesterday my tractor wheels wouldn't even turn, today they did but only in one direction. I would like to know what valves/solenoids operate what function. Books are great in theory but they haven't given me my ah ha moment yet. My two park brake lights were on (bron and park I think). I figure I do have an air problem as one light light stays on. We don't run it often but it would be wonderful if it could work properly.

Offline Dom

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 12:49:57 PM »
A call to a dealer is a good place to start in my opinion.

Offline 1Islander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 01:55:56 PM »
I have. I am working with Steve. Worst part is working on something that is 20 years old, not all information is readly available. However the Forestry forum is full of wonderful people :)

Offline Dom

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 05:01:30 PM »
There was one mechanic in Moncton that actually worked on designing the electrical system on these machines, he's retired now though. He was great.  I did hear that he worked once in a while, you could ask for Rolf.

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 05:29:58 PM »
onmine the wagon drive dose not run off of air. just because you have power to the switch dosent mean the magnet if ok. like i told you get under it there is a hinged door. one is 2 speed 1 is wagon drive. there may be 3 its been a while. take the wire connector off. the high idle should be air. if you have power to it and air its the magnet or the oring in it. never saw one with out a air pressure gage should be 7 or 8 bar. i have called moncton a couple times when the rottne guy on this side of the border was in sweden they were very helpful. go get some air brake alcohol and put that in the plastic jar on the air regulator. good luck finding a tec manual i was told they never made any. now get to it 

Offline 1Islander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 07:05:04 PM »
Thanks Dom and Snowstorm! Great to hear what you are saying. I've got the front and back pans off. Theres still a center that I will have to get to. Yes I do have the bar gauge. Took out the airtank and got it unthawed (some sludge came out). Put some methelhydrate in there. From the tank, Everything goes to an air manifold. I have a spare port and put a gauge there and had no reading. Might be a bad gauge but now I've got to cleanout the manifold to be sure. When talking to the dealer. I told them that I don't mind aways having the bogey engaged. Initially they told me that there was a quarterinch line going to the gearbox. If I capped that, it would always be engaged. Dropped the pan and the line was already capped. Anyways I'll be flushing air lines and jumping on the electrical afterwards. Might be cold tomorrow -13 to -21*C or 8 to -5*F. but we'll get it done

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 06:46:47 AM »
i did not take the belly pan down just a small door 

Offline Dom

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 07:26:13 AM »
Small door along the frame right?

Out of curiosity, is the harvester a dangle head harvester or a two 2 grip? I do remember we had air pumps and valves at Rocan, but it was not inventory that moved. 

Best of luck in the cold! You'll get it going.  :)

Offline 1Islander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 09:32:36 PM »
No small door to my knowlegde. 
In the manual there's one pictured on the boom  but not on my machine. 
She's a tangle head I believe, an old EGS 85.

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 04:49:16 AM »
way to many hoses and wires running to that head

Offline Dom

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 06:17:26 AM »
Yup, nice machine for 30 years old. Surprised we can look through the cab. Not many of those machines around, especially with that head. The door that snowstorm was referring is around the midpoint, but I cant remember if the yellow frames had them. 

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 06:47:57 AM »
some things were pretty well built on them. a few that were not the air over hydraulic brakes i dont care for that. the crane the old style not much swing power and if you get the boom to high it goes over center. and then there is the wiring its in Swedish and those little plastic fuses. i just replaced the hydraulic pump on mine along with rebuilding the gear box. a big surprise was the new clutch disc will not fit the gear on the flywheel   

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 11:56:30 AM »
I think the price on those hoses woulda payed for a solenoid bank valve to live in the head 2x over. Surprised they built it that way. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline 1Islander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 05:07:04 PM »
Great feedback. I toyed to the machine today, finally the cold eased off. For anyone that has a machine that operates with air, the misery running that in the winter. Off my compressor, I have a 3way block; fast idle, pedal brakes and another 3 bank manifold (thats where I put the guage lastime). I played with the fast idle. It runs on a spring return cylinder. There must be gunk in there as it doesn't have enough pressure to pull it back. The magnet and solenoid works as it's letting air through. The line from my compressor to the 3 bank manifold was froze. Took it off and left it next to the furnase for an hour. After I flushed it and reinstalled it, I had pressure at the guage! I hopped in the cab hoping to get it mobile. My wagon drive now works but my machine only goes in one direction now (reverse). So it's partially good news. I would consider myself a half mechanic. So now I have to figure what make the machine go back and forth. I assume theres air involved. I must have a bad connection as my P-brake light flickers. I assume it's not like a truck where you need air to release the brakes. Also does anyone know what the P-broms means, it's the parking light above my P-brake light?  

Offline 1Islander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 05:13:54 PM »
I am aware there's way too many hoses. Chasing leaks, I practically change 1 hose per week. I bought this baby to cut wood on the farm. Still getting used to it. Originally I was looking for a machine with a stroke head but it was above my budget. I wanted to stick to a wheeled harvester as working on the farm, tracked machines are a different beast for us. Like the previous owner said, you're better off the find a machine with the head you want on it. Changing a head and computer can be costly and time consuming. I don't want to end up with something where I have to cut 6 days a week to pay for it.

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2021, 07:54:19 AM »
forward and reverse do not use air. lever on the dash and it may have a toggle switch on the rite arm rest. going backwards towards the crane it should be on high idle working speed. high idle has to work to cut wood. on low idle it will move by pushing the petal as its increasing rpm  and hystat flow the same for forward. on hi its only hystat

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Rottne Rapid EGS harvester

Started by bushmechanic on Forestry and Logging

11 Replies
Last post February 14, 2021, 11:09:15 PM
by 1Islander
xx
95 Rottne Rapid SMV

Started by danbuendgen on Forestry and Logging

61 Replies
Last post June 28, 2016, 06:20:09 PM
by danbuendgen