The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Me trying to pull photo from gallery, pay no attention  (Read 855 times)

Online moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
Re: Me trying to pull photo from gallery, pay no attention
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 08:04:18 AM »
No never heard of it
Oh man, I'm surprised. You must have had to turn off south of there. Famous 24/7 restaurant for real. That place is all by itself.   Still got that IH in the pic?  Perhaps a deleted 530 would go in there.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 08:28:04 AM »
Its not as famous as maines tolls on a 5axle!  I only drove semi to retrieve my stuff from springfield mass so whenever i was allowed to go (6x i think) that was the target.  I managed to get loads to westfield, chicopee and ludlow.. Another was a partial i picked up in boston.. Blocking half a street for hours to rig the machine on back to charlotte.  Lets see.. Took a load of wire mesh up from pittsburg to mid NH.  Cant remember the others.  

Maine means either running 95 (no thanks.. GW +bridgeport, new haven, RI then being parked in boston traffic) or paying the entire MA pike plus the maine pike.  Then there are no backhauls out of maine and fuel is high all over the NE.  Maine is a terrible place to point a truck, 2nd only to RI in terms of outbound freight. 

I have family in ellsworth and have rafted the penobscot a few times so thats what i know of it.. Just car driving.   The peterbilt i did every coastal state from NH to south florida.  PA, NY, ohio, ky, touch of indiana. .. Few loads to NJ. One to missouri then picked steel in armorel Arkansas to get back ..  One load to almost DC when i met NW.  Hmm.  TN/NC/ATL and northeast alabama made up the bulk of it. Lots of brick, block, lumber, matts and steel to come home.  Almost always stone going out except when there was no stone then he'd turn me lose to book whatever best freight i could. 

A fun adventure.  It confirmed i love coming home. Id be a very profitable owner op but it means no other life.  Just not in my plans.  Maybe someday build a big bunk truck and take the wife out to see the flyover states for a year.  I love flatbedding.  The harder it is the more i like it.  Complicate loads, crappy weather, huge climbs, one lane switchbacks in whiteout fog, stupid narrow city traffic jams.  The higher the stress then more thrill i got.  Kinda wierd.  
Revelation 3:20

Online moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 08:59:49 AM »
Mike, I was never a trucker. My grandfather wo raised me was going back to solid rubber and bulldogs. Also used to hang around a truckers gin mill.  Only have a B cdl.  Back in the day one head light and one tail light and 2 good steering axel tires and you could go, in state anyhow. I remember passing a truck , driver stick hid hand out, drop back and proceed through speed trap. That's the way it used to be. Blink marker lights [hello]. blink head lights [on coming] you better slow down and start watching. To day's truck drivers are no different than the car drivers, on the phone and all over the road. How times change. In some rural places, long narrow poor roads, wide heavy trucks they have to be professional but we don't see that.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 10:17:59 AM »
We go up 'Fancy Gap Mountain' on I77 in Va. often.  This past year we have seen 2 truck fires there.  About a 7 mile grade.  It must be tough on trucks.  

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 10:55:00 AM »
Yeah fancy gap and black mountain are truck burners.  I lit the left rear trailer brake once when it hung from a can diaphragm failure but i never lost it on a grade. 

The mega carriers and the newfangled car trucks are what has driven the change to morons.  Lower the skill level so we can pick from lower and lower skilled people mostly from foreign countries who have no rent to pay.. So we can pay them less and less.  Its corporate greed trying to fatten margins and exploit.. Theyll route you to a terminal and fire you 3000 miles from your car over electronic flags from the truck gps.  

And those drivers get a lot of people killed.  They do 55 in the fast lane then all 5 miles of angry trucks are trying to pass them at 75 into the twisties.  The i-40 gorge from TN into NC is very very bad for this.  Its 2 lanes only, like a slalom coarse, fully barriered, only a foot to spare on each side and its on the edge of a cliff and trucks are right lane only. Landslides and repairs cut it down to 1 lane often and its like 4k feet so it snows or ices up quick.  37 mile truck parade of sharp left sharp right sharp left sharp right.  Bears all over but cant know where without CB help.  Flying into sharp turns with a truck a foot away for 3 minutes trying to pass the row of them is seriously very scary.  The no trucks left lane rule is what makes it so stupid dangerous.  If you could stay there without a ticket no one would be piled up and trying to pass 10 trucks in a slalom.

I hate the gorge.. Used to run 3x a day some weeks and cannot believe i never saw any trucks go over the barrier from just too fast into the turn.  At 3am whe  you can use all the lanes its a blast but in the day itll make you scream at the dash for the idiots on it.  Id rather go to the steepest stupidist mountaintop in all of pisgah or nantahala alone in the dark than be with seatwarmers in the gorge.  Im ranting at them again and its 3 hours away!

Anyway.. I dont have any truckers in the family.  But i was desperate and that made me pretty versatile.  

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 11:02:10 AM »
the way it used to be for you is the way it still is where i live now which is why i chose it.  Its changing, but slower then anywhere else.  "Backward" is what the northern elite would call it and thats exactly where i want to go.  Set a date for 1985 Marty. After the cordless phone but before nirvana would be a nice place to stay i think. 

Online moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 12:47:19 PM »
the way it used to be for you is the way it still is where i live now which is why i chose it.  Its changing, but slower then anywhere else.  "Backward" is what the northern elite would call it and thats exactly where i want to go.  Set a date for 1985 Marty. After the cordless phone but before nirvana would be a nice place to stay i think.
I always talked about doing what you did but time slipped away. I got too established here and now there are grandchildren in town and the health care here is right around the corner, not like that upstate. The trick is to stay young.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 03:37:20 PM »
It was an absolute blessing that i lost the house by accident.  If not id have chickened out and stayed put.  Im thankful God shoved me off that ledge i was too scared to leap from.  I dont have the energy to start over at it either.

"Gee, aint it funny how time slips away?"
-willie nelson

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Where did the Photo Gallery go?

Started by Peder McElroy on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 07:52:59 PM
by Peder McElroy
xx
photo gallery

Started by shelbycharger400 on Technical Support Topics

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 10:52:25 PM
by shelbycharger400