The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Today's happy customer  (Read 25791 times)

Online Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
Re: Today's happy customer
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2019, 10:30:53 AM »
Today's happy customer came by with a short piece of a red oak log, and I cut it into 1" thick cookies for center pieces at a upcoming wedding. Thanks Rich.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2019, 11:18:56 AM »
  Looks good. I have an order from my florist for 20 cookies for a 5 October wedding. I told her I'd cut them just before the wedding to reduce the chance of cracking. She pointed to a 5 gallon bucket on my porch and said that was the diameter she wanted and did not care what kind of wood it was. Evidently she plans to place them down both sides of the aisle with flowers on top of them. In the past I have only seen them used at the reception on the individual tables with small flower arrangement on each and sometimes a big cookie with the wedding cake sitting on it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2019, 03:32:43 PM »
Today's happy customer came over to pick up some short pieces of pine lumber to make a Stock for a re-enactment.
thanks Jason

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2019, 01:53:32 PM »
Well I delivered and set the bar that I built for the neighbors wedding. They seem very pleased. I also took down a couple of small dead trees that were ugly and a hazard to the wedding area, made a bunch of short blocks for them to stand flowers on to mark out the aisle for the ceremony, and two 'pillars' to mark the alter area, then found a white birch hanger that needed to be knocked down, I cut about 30 cookies out of that for other decorative 'stuff' or firewood ;D. The bride is tickled pink and taking back a bunch of stuff she bought at a store that doesn't look as good. :)
 All in all I worked up a good solid sweat and they are pleased. That bar is set solid enough for 3 inebriates to dance on safely. All screwed in place.

Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here. OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2019, 11:12:07 PM »
We had a few happy customers today.  We got pretty busy for most of the day and at one point I snapped a photo of the cars piling up in the parking lot.  

I finally got to break for lunch about 2:30.  The fall rush of lumber sales looks like itís begun.  

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2019, 08:25:33 AM »
Looks like a Cumberland Farm parking lot. ;D
Just so others know,I have no idea if there are other stores outside of Maine,they are a chain convenience store,open 24 hours.Everything from ice coffee to gas. They just redid all the stores,bigger and better. In the small town that I go by that store,very common to see 10 cars in the parking lot.
You are doing something right. Good job. If you saw it,they will come. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2019, 08:57:20 AM »
It's pretty amazing to us, we have folks come from all over the country to buy our wood, and yesterday even had a customer from Texas, 12 hours away, one from Atlanta, 4 hours away, one from Florida, 6 hours away, and bunch of others.  Last month, we got nominated and approved for selection into the Better Business Bureau, and have been nominated to be entered into the Best Small Business competition for next year.  We will see how that shakes out.  

It's hard to believe it started with an Alaskan Chain Saw Mill many years ago. And a lot of reading on this Forum.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2019, 10:03:26 AM »
Robert, How about a video tour on a Saturday?  Have someone video to give us the experience your customers have on a busy Saturday?  Just a thought.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2019, 12:14:22 PM »
For Mr. Milton to give you a proper experience of his operation he would need to mount the camera to his body for an entire week.  From acquiring logs, to sawing with both chainsaw and sawmill, to stacking, to air drying, to one of his kilns.  Come to think of it it may take more than a week as some kilns take more than a week after the air drying session.  Once out of the kilns the material that does not go out of house for further processing is done in house.
Further processing involves many steps and can vary from piece to piece depending on many factors.  Then some customers have requests that most times means more handling and time involvement. 
Stocking the shelves in his sales building is no easy task, but I considered it very neat and orderly.
For a small time operator he can make a lot of sawdust.

YH: again thank you for the time you afforded me and my wife and I wish you a very prosperous operation.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Online Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2019, 04:58:16 PM »
 we got nominated and approved for selection into the Better Business Bureau, and have been nominated to be entered into the Best Small Business competition for next year.  
Good one, Hard work will always pay off.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2019, 10:23:12 PM »
@GAB I appreciate the compliments, and you are welcome back anytime, and for that matter, so is anyone else.

I'm not real good at video recording anything, seems I never get around to it, but I need to do it.  

We've had several Forumites come to visit, but the last one who showed up on a Saturday to watch the show got put to work pretty quick, put in charge of the tracksawing station, converting live edge slabs into table pieces.  It was fun for all of us, but it does get a little chaotic.  I think our record for slab sales was 22 slabs in a 7 hour period, in addition to all the other wood sold.  

This last weekend, we were averaging a sales ticket every three minutes until early afternoon, when the Alabama game came on and customers thankfully started thinking out.      
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2019, 07:47:42 AM »
This last weekend, we were averaging a sales ticket every three minutes until early afternoon, when the Alabama game came on and customers thankfully started thinking out.      
I did not know that Alabama fans could think :) ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2019, 08:19:51 AM »
Autocorrect got me, oops, I meant "thinning" out.   :D :D

Any time there is a big SEC game on TV, there is a significant drop in customers, which is expected because the only thing that will make North Alabama stop in its tracks is a good SEC football game.

Roll Tide!  

Also been watching a little Oklahoma, Go Jalen!

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2019, 09:47:32 AM »
We've had several Forumites come to visit, but the last one who showed up on a Saturday to watch the show got put to work pretty quick.   
YH:  Sounds like this individual got an up close spot to watch.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline Nebraska

• Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2019, 10:47:19 AM »
I'd like to see that video,  could add a forestry forum "live" section.    popcorn_smiley

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2019, 11:05:47 AM »
Webcam. Several views. 

Telling someone how to spend their time is almost as good as spending someone elseís money. Now we can do both of those. You should be able to get this done by the end of the week, YH.  :D

Offline Nebraska

• Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2019, 12:00:10 PM »
Heck he could have sponsors by then. Ok I'll stop and wait for the next happy customer.   ;D

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2019, 12:22:46 PM »
Heck he could have sponsors by then. Ok I'll stop and wait for the next happy customer.   ;D
It could end up being more profitable than the lumber bidness. Eventually lead to show on Discovery. YH might be more popular than Parker  Schnavel. 
HM126

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2019, 07:40:55 AM »
There was someone fishing around here a number of years ago looking to recruit sawyers for a sawmilling reality show.  Don't believe he/she got many takers.  I would not want to be embarrassed and made to look like an idiot by some TV Producer :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline slider

• Senior Member x2
  • sawyer,trucker,tree service
    • Share Post
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2019, 07:59:52 AM »
Dont do it Yellowhammer. Every time i do a video of us taking a big tree out i mess it up. If you do just show the cash register that i like best. Then again if you could show ms Martha doing her presentation that would be a hoot.
al glenn

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
One less happy customer

Started by Jim_Rogers on General Board

8 Replies
Last post June 28, 2019, 02:01:50 PM
by Jim_Rogers
xx
Happy Peterson Customer -anyone in Illinois?

Started by Stan P on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 01:52:56 PM
by schmism
xx
Central Boiler 750 - not a happy customer - serious issues with cleaning

Started by Bob Lentz on Firewood and Wood Heating

32 Replies
Last post Today at 12:50:54 PM
by bushwacker55
xx
I had an ususual customer today.