iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing project 2019

Started by customsawyer, February 03, 2019, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

You guys are having too much fun.  I thought this was an educational gathering.  :D
HM126

Jeff

The education has commenced.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DR Buck

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Nomad

Another Georgia Gathering in the books, and the best one yet.  Great food, lots of information, and the best company one could ask for.  Doesn't get much better than this!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Sixacresand

Thanks to Jake for putting together and hosting another great Project.  And thanks to all who helped before, during and after.  We really enjoyed it.  

A fine Middle Georgia Event!!!
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Andries

My deep appreciation goes out to Jake for hosting another 'Project'. Inviting the Forestry Forum to his home and his business goes over and above a dedication to his chosen profession. It's a rare thing to have such a good time and learn so much in two short days. Thank you sir.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

Well, I actually left, made it to the airport and am sitting at the gate. For a guy who doesn't get out much I sure have to say these TSA folks are not what you read about in the news. 

I again made the super X ray machine go "whoop, whoop" and nobody got upset, just really friendly and lots of unique hugs out of the deal. Didn't get a phone number this time either, but for sure I will have to return next year if nothing else for the airport hospitality. 
:D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

We are just about on our way home, from the hotel. It was a great Project, and thanks to Jake for making it happen.  Great place, great people, great time. We had a ball, and thanks again for having this.  Thanks, Jake! Thanks Dr. Gene, and thanks to all for putting in the hard work to make this come together. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customsawyer

Wow what a great time. Thanks one and all for coming and a huge Thank You to everyone that pitched in and helped. The better this thing gets, it seems the more help I need. Y'all know I can't do it with out you, from the ladies in the kitchen to others pitching in in (Tom) the yard or at the mill. A big Thanks to Gene for teaching the class. Y'all are great guest.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doc henderson

A great time was had by all!  After 5 years of reading about him and his work, I got to meet Dr. Gene Wengert!

Doc Gene and Doc Henderson

and here is how they do it in Georgia.  thanks Jake (Capem Scooter!!!)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Mfrost459

Wow!!! This was my first time at the project and I had a great time !!!. Thank you Jake for your hospitality and your dedication to this industry. It is not everyday someone will open their home up to a bunch like this. You are a real risk taker. Your operation is very impressive. Also have to thank all the people for sharing their knowledge with me. You all have an overwhelming amount  of experience and wisdom and when you put is all in one place it is amazing what you can learn. I look forward to next year. In the mean time hope everyone has a great year.
Wood-Mizer LT50 Wide 2021 - LT-40 - 1992
EG-200 board Edger - New Holland Skilsteer - Kubota SVL95-2 skidsteer
Nyle L53 Kiln -  Nyle L200S Container Kiln

Have a great day milling!

Lawg Dawg

Caught these two in the middle of some SERIOUS discussion...honored to meet and talk with both of them!

WDH and Andries
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

RichTired

This was my first Forestry Forum event also. And I am so thankful to Jake and his hospitality, to Dr. Gene Wengert for sharing his vast knowledge, to Jeff for the great forum, to all the event sponsors, and to all the forum members present that welcomed me into this great group of diverse, yet focused, individuals.

What a great, first class two day event!  Fun (learning about drying lumber and quarter sawing logs), fellowship, and food! What great combinations. 

Thanks again to ALL who make this event all it was.  I am looking forward to the next one...  8)
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

WV Sawmiller

Glad y'all all had a good time. Sorry to see Dr. Gene could not find more appropriate attire to wear in the picture with Doc H. I assume his luggage got lost and that Ga Bulldog shirt was all they could find at the Goodwill to fit him. :D :D

I bet them TSA folks got tired after Southside Logger ran back through the security checkpoint 3-4 times and kept requesting the lady agent come do another pat down check on him again. :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

slider

For me the sharing of knowledge is awesome but the fellowship is one reason i go every year. It is so nice to see old friends and meet new ones every year. It would be hard to find a better group of people anywhere .
al glenn

Resonator

Whats the story behind that photo in reply #405 of Dr. Gene, Fearless Leader, and Jake?  
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

caveman

Jake, DanG good event.  Julio killed it with the goober peas and chicken.  I have been looking forward to attending your project for quite some time and it did not disappoint - just what I needed - a break from impersonating an adult human with responsibilities.  

As Slider stated, the knowledge sharing is incredible but the fellowship with old friends and the opportunity to meet new ones is what I really appreciate.

We made it back home a little after noon today following a nap at the Super 8.  The variety of road kill was diverse enough that I considered starting a new thread about road kill leaving Jake's.  We saw several opossums, deer, hawk, possibly a cotton tail and when we were just south of Gainesville there was a 5-6' gator smushed in the emergency lane. 
Caveman

123maxbars

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 04, 2019, 10:06:20 PM
They gave me a hat.....
not just any hat, an employee hat  8)
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Another great Project, 

I have tons of footage from the weekend, should have the video up in a day or two, 
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

DR Buck

Thanks for the great event Jake.   I learned a few things, photographed a few cool ideas you have implemented there at your place and had a really good time.     

Left the hotel at 6 AM and pulled into the driveway here at home at 2:40 PM. 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

69bronco

Mossy Chariot

What a group of great people - the Forestry Forum Sawyers.  Thank  you Jake and your better half for the wonderful hospitality.  Thank you Gene for sharing some of your vast knowledge.  Thank your Robert, Danny and Jake for the great demonstration of RRSQ.  And thank all the wonderful sawyers for the companionship and sharing of knowledge.   I was so excited about some of the things I learned that I got up and rolled out of town heading home by 5:30 and went straight to my mill when I got home at about 1:00.

Put this white oak on the mill and tried what Robert, Danny and Jake were explaining.

I think I learned something from everyone I talked to!! Thank you all.  I am looking forward to next year already.  I hope one day I can share knowledge and experience with others too!
Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

123maxbars

@Mossey Chariot 
I thought I heard that saw as I came through Knoxville today,  ;D
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Thank You Sponsors!