The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: sawmill build*very novice*  (Read 1859 times)

Offline ry597

• days in the woods are the best days
    • Share Post
Re: sawmill build*very novice*
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 08:09:41 PM »
That would be a bit overkill for me.. here the trees aren't that big. alot of the trees are new growth. I have a jonsered 2166 with a 18 inch bar and ive rarely seen a tree go past 18 inch. Im glad you mentioned the honda motors! i was looking at one myself but the price was way too much. we don't have harbor freight here in the north i don't see where i could buy a predator engine? i wouldn't mind having one! right now im looking at the facebook market and on other platform to source an engine thats atleast 15hp. Maybe the blade bites more onto the softer woods thats why it needs more power?

About the drive system, could you use a setup in which you actuate a lever that tights the belt? something similar to a snowblower auger mecanism? i belive thats what WD uses? For the bandwheel size, is there a way to calculate the size i need with the specs of the blade? pretty sure i would need different size bandwheel and pully to make 26 inch between the guides? how did you calculate the pieces that you need? sorry for having alot of questions but im not very familiar with the drive mecanism of a sawmill. I thank you very much for taking the time to reply and answer my questions.

Offline Mike W

• Full Member x2
  • Location: Boundary Washington - Right on the edge of the Northern Boarder
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 08:32:33 PM »
How far are you from the US boarder?  Have you thought about using a boarder crossing facility that accepts US goods for Canadian customers to pick up and haul home.  my mill has a 25hp Kohler and wouldnt want anything with less HP then it puts out for sure.  the HF predator motors have been great in my opinion, i have several all with no issues so far.  Just a thought, for the $$ they are really hard to beat and would save some $$ for other bells you might want to add to the build.

Offline ry597

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 08:37:39 PM »
i could cross over to maine which would be a 4 hour drive. i don't know if they have a habor freight in maine? 
Crusarius with some research i found out the blades specs that i wouls use. (158" lenght, .042"(1mm) thick, 1.25"(32mm) wide) what size band saw wheels would i need for that ? 

Offline Mike W

• Full Member x2
  • Location: Boundary Washington - Right on the edge of the Northern Boarder
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 09:05:16 PM »
I was referencing ordering on line through HF, you could keep an eye on the deals they put out monthly, most times they have the predator offered in multiple HP's you could choose from.  Google search "cross boarder shopping centers in Maine" and you will find several cross boarder stores or facilities that accept delivered goods ordered by Canadian's and charge a small handling fee to pick up from them in person and take across the boarder with your new power plant in hand.  I happen to own one of these types of facilities, but wrong side of the country to be of help in this particular situation.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 09:44:47 PM »
what size band saw wheels would i need for that ?

You can use any size wheels you want.  The larger the better (less flexing).  You just need to adjust the distance between the axles.  Not too hard.  Take the diameter of whatever wheels you can find, multiply by 3.14 (Pi).  That is the distance around one wheel.  Since the blade is only going around half of both wheels, use that total.  Subtract that from the 158" band, divide by 2 and that is the distance between the axles.  You want some adjustment to have it loose enough to put it on and then tight enough to run.  Figure about 1" for hard (steel) wheels.  A little more if you are using car tires to compensate for the rubber deforming.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 08:36:13 AM »
i could cross over to maine which would be a 4 hour drive. i don't know if they have a habor freight in maine?
Crusarius with some research i found out the blades specs that i wouls use. (158" lenght, .042"(1mm) thick, 1.25"(32mm) wide) what size band saw wheels would i need for that ?
I like the 19" (18.75" with bet makes 19") wheels. the larger the wheel the less metal fatigue from tight bending. So blades typically last longer before they break.

Offline BigZ La

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 09:40:43 AM »
what size band saw wheels would i need for that ?

You can use any size wheels you want.  The larger the better (less flexing).  You just need to adjust the distance between the axles.  Not too hard.  Take the diameter of whatever wheels you can find, multiply by 3.14 (Pi).  That is the distance around one wheel.  Since the blade is only going around half of both wheels, use that total.  Subtract that from the 158" band and that is the distance between the axles.  You want some adjustment to have it loose enough to put it on and then tight enough to run.  Figure about 1" for hard (steel) wheels.  A little more if you are using car tires to compensate for the rubber deforming.
I think the distance between the axles would be half of the figure using that formula. Just asking?

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 09:50:06 AM »
with a 19" wheel and a 158 blade your looking roughly 49"to center of axles

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »
I think the distance between the axles would be half of the figure using that formula. Just asking?
Yes, that is what I meant.  I went back and corrected it!  Good catch.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 01:29:45 PM »
Welcome ry597, from all I have read over the years 18"to 19" band wheel would be a minimum band wheel diameter, also have been told by several small mill owners that 13hp would be a minimum for gas engine.

There is a machinery calculator in the tool box at the left under the sponsors list that will help with band speed in feet per minute and pulley size. Cooks saw has lots of info and videos about horsepower, blade speed and blade guide setup.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 02:38:13 PM »
I have a centrifugal clutch on mine mill. I have a bum shoulder. No way could I push a handle to engage the motor. I have a Thomas mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Deadeyeb

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2019, 02:07:50 PM »
Crusarius how wide between the bedrails and what size blade do you run.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2019, 03:19:03 PM »
I run 158" blade I have 50.75" from outside to outside. 

I made the bed wide so I could stack the lumber I was cutting next to the cant. at least till I got to that level. 

I do not stack the lumber next to the cant :) it got in the way to much. 

In hindsight I probably would not make the bed that wide again unless I had a way to step inside it without climbing over it. Stretching to reach the slabs is not fun. I ended up getting a hookaroon so I could grab the boards.

Offline ry597

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 07:21:05 PM »
thanks everyone with the replys! Ive had a real hard time finding parts. I will listen to everybody's suggestions and will go with 19 inch wheels. i believe i will have approximately 2 1/2- 3 feet off cut width? i underestimated the size of the project.... i will start to acquire more part before getting started on the bed build. I am planning on building a frame that extends against my shed so i could work on my mill in any type of weather. we get pretty much everything, right now we have record breaking snowfalls and its still snowing in march... im pretty good messing around with small engines so i will find a used one and rebuild it. a horizontal shaft with more than 10hp is really hard to find... I will draw a plan when i get the dimensions right. maybe start a new thread?

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2019, 07:18:44 AM »
I bought the 22hp predator from HF. I have not been disappointed. I paid 700 for it but it will go on sale for 650 sometimes.

My thought behind this was I really wanted a 20hp honda. but at the tune of $2300 I could replace 3 predators for the cost of 1 honda so I chose to go that route. If you are good with engines I would buy the predator and if you have problems just rebuild it. you will probably be ahead on money.

Offline bwstout

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 07:35:29 AM »
I too have the HF 22hp and have had no issues with it and the extra hp was worth is started with a 13hp Honda clone that lasted a year before it quit.
home built mill

Offline ry597

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »
Ive got access to the exact dimensions of an lt15 sawmill, now i really need to find a motor and i could go ahead with my build. here we have a princess auto that sells 420cc + engines for cheap. they are chinese made but i know myself around small engine so i could check to make sure thst everything is in specs before using it. or i could try and find a use 15hp or more motor and refresh it with new parts. the lt15 uses 18 inch bandwheel and it would be the perfect size paired with the blade size that i am using! this thread helped me alot and i will start a new one when i start my sawmill build. Thanks again everyone

Offline Woodpecker52

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2019, 07:13:30 PM »
I have the LT15 start which uses a 14 hp Kohler engine and have never had a problem with it being under powered, I cut large trees all the time, just keep the blade sharp and go a little slower, then again its for enjoyment and not for a living.  I have cut about 300 trees with it since  I got it last March.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: sawmill build*very novice*

Started by chet on Forestry and Logging

0 Replies
Last post February 17, 2019, 07:19:36 AM
by chet
xx
new novice

Started by pifan on General Board

15 Replies
Last post January 22, 2005, 09:28:36 AM
by pifan