iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372 XP Husq. cracked cylinder head

Started by louiseM, February 19, 2019, 11:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

louiseM

Thank you, good info....I knew that about running a dull saw, but didn't know about the chain adjustment...will check those links...i really wish I could operate it myself...having to trust someone else w/ a good saw goes against nature...Thanks

louiseM

lxskllr

Quote from: louiseM on February 19, 2019, 07:09:58 PM
Thank you, good info....I knew that about running a dull saw, but didn't know about the chain adjustment...will check those links...i really wish I could operate it myself...having to trust someone else w/ a good saw goes against nature...Thanks
Don't sell yourself short. There's no reason you can't run a saw. A 372 might not be the best to start with, but a smaller saw is useful to have around, and it's something you could use yourself. Not pressuring you or anything. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to run a saw, but if you were curious, it's approachable without throwing money away. Something in the 40cc-50cc range would be a good starter saw, and would complement the 372 for use around the campground.

weimedog

I guess depending on what needs to be cut, maybe there are saw options that would fit what your comfortable with. What type of work is typical? Also you might be surprised at what you can do after learning more about saws and the operation Technics required to accomplish your goals for that place, keep the big saw and have whom ever runs it now to continue, and get something you are comfortable with to engage with some of the work, every tree that get dropped usually needs to be topped...there is also brush and other things in and around the place where a 372 is probably like taking a sledge hammer to a tack. With time training and experience comes confidence and skills to handle both larger tasks and saws or other equipment required.

( 2014...I'm betting bottom end issue is what they dealt with. I have one on the bench right now. )
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

louiseM

Thanks.  I will consider that.  I guess one has to have a healthy fear of them, my biggest fear was hitting a knot and having it kick back in my face because of lack of arm strength...maybe I could find a class...good points, thanks....maybe in this case I should have gotten a cheaper saw...thanks

weimedog

i really wish I could operate it myself...having to trust someone else w/ a good saw goes against nature...Thanks
A good place to start is a saw from a major brand in the 50-60 cc range with an assisted start and a primer bulb. There are a few good ones to pick from. OR go battery powered if there is a lot of smaller work to do. Starting is usually the hurtle that chases folks away from a given saw option. Battery?? Pull the trigger and its started. 
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

louiseM

thanks.  good ideas.  i guess attempting to learn on a  373xp is like learning to ride a horse on a wild giant stallion, way too intimidating, thx

HolmenTree

Whatever you get to run always wear safety chaps, steel toe work boots and hardhat with flip up screen and muffs.
Small radius sprocket nose bar and safety chain cut down on kickbacks significantly. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

louiseM

Thank you.  I will look into all those things...and start small...

weimedog

Quote from: louiseM on February 19, 2019, 07:28:42 PM
thanks.  good ideas.  i guess attempting to learn on a  372xp is like learning to ride a horse on a wild giant stallion, way too intimidating, thx
I have a very close friend who deals with arthritis and still lives life trying to be active wanting to manage a 15acre lot. Lots of brush, branches, and occasional small tree. She got a battery powered pole saw. Sounds goofy but it worked as reaching in with that saw kept the work away. Took away some fear as well at first. She since has graduated to larger saws, but I still chuckle a bit watching that solution...and in retrospect it made perfect sense. Did everything from cutting bushes around the place to some branches. And smaller wood to break down and drag away.

louiseM

good to hear...a pole saw sounds great...have to stay on top of all the widow makers that fall and get hung up, plus have plenty of firewood on the ground...

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: louiseM on February 19, 2019, 07:28:42 PM
thanks.  good ideas.  i guess attempting to learn on a  373xp is like learning to ride a horse on a wild giant stallion, way too intimidating, thx
Well maybe, but if you can do that you will get really good, really fast!! :D ;D :D
 Seriously Louise, you can do this if you want. Some of the concerns you have, if not all, can be overcome with a good teacher, and it won't take long either. You don't have any info in your profile information to tell us about where you are but there are good chainsaw programs available in various parts of the country. They can get you going in no time. Your comment about kickback made me realize this. A saw will not kick back unless you engage the upper half of the tip nose in something. If you use the 'flat' of the bottom or the top of the bar it won't kick back, in fact, it CAN'T kick back, the physics is all wrong. Understanding things like this goes a long way to reduce the fear factor and help you gain confidence. 
 Not too long ago I took a level 1 class to see if I could improve my skills and knowledge. 40% of the class was women and only one of them had run a saw before. I won't forget this one woman who was about 50 years old and about as tall as the middle of my chest (I am 6'). Had a brand new saw, never fired it up. By the end of the day she was dropping trees within a foot of the target markers. There are good techniques for starting a saw too that will make life a lot easier. If you tell us what area you are in, maybe we can help you find something. My Dad always said 'stupid is forever, but ignorance is something that is easy to cure.' We are here to get you going along the path, if you want that.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

louiseM

That is very inspiring to hear, I really was assuming women can't use chain saws, thanks, I am in Maryland...Western Maryland on the border of West Virginia...thank you!  I would definitely take a class...

lxskllr

Quote from: louiseM on February 19, 2019, 08:34:33 PM
That is very inspiring to hear, I really was assuming women can't use chain saws, thanks, I am in Maryland...Western Maryland on the border of West Virginia...thank you!  I would definitely take a class...
You're kinda sorta in my area. I love it out there, but you're about an hour away. I always feel at home when I get to the mountains. Harpers Ferry is a favorite place to go, but I haven't been there in a couple years.

louiseM

lxskllr

Quote from: louiseM on February 19, 2019, 08:43:01 PM
Oh....  Camping in Maryland & Tree House Rental | Maple Tree Campground, MD
!!!
I stayed there ~25 years ago! Really fun place you've got, and I have fond memories of my stay. I went with a bunch of friends in the winter, so we put the provided wood stove to good use. I'd have liked to have taken my daughter there, but when the time was right, I wasn't in a good financial position. I'm doing better now, but she's older, and off doing her own thing. Oh well, Ya can't have everything, eh?

louiseM

Oh, wow, long time ago...my Mom started  it, ...no, no we can't....maybe we wouldn't want to, though

weimedog

Quote from: louiseM on February 19, 2019, 07:49:36 PM
good to hear...a pole saw sounds great...have to stay on top of all the widow makers that fall and get hung up, plus have plenty of firewood on the ground...but, by the time I pay someone to cut it,  haul it down, and split it,  it's actually  cheaper to pay someone to just bring in a load...if I could do it myself, it would save a bundle, and I wouldn't  have to watch perfectly good wood rot on the ground while I pay for firewood...we sell a lot of firewood...have a nice honda motor 39 ton splitter...am a tool junkie...

That's way more rational thought than I have, I do all my firewood by hand now. My neighbor all "Tool Time Tim", everything has to have a definable reason and purpose.... comes over to give me grief about me not using the splitter and stuff... I told him it's about one number. 265. And hoping next month it will be about the same number, only then it should be 255.

Let him chew on that for a while. A heart health strategy. SO the managing the wood lot isn't all logical git r done. It's also about living life and a few other things.

louiseM

haha..i stand corrected on that one. true

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: louiseM on February 19, 2019, 08:34:33 PM
That is very inspiring to hear, I really was assuming women can't use chain saws, thanks, I am in Maryland...Western Maryland on the border of West Virginia...thank you!  I would definitely take a class...
This is a little upsetting to hear. Surely you are pulling my leg. I know a few women that can outcut me all day long, and they are much better looking than me, so I lose on two counts. 
Seriously, just do a search for "Chainsaw Safety class" in your area and you should be able to find something if you look hard enough. A lot of the co-op extension services offer them. You can do this, there is no doubt. I can almost promise that with a good instructor, you will amaze yourself.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

louiseM

what can I say?  I thought  it was a matter of strength, wrong again...ok, I will defintely do that, thank you

weimedog

louiseM

weimedog

Quote from: louiseM on February 19, 2019, 09:29:24 PM
what can I say?  I thought  it was a matter of strength, wrong again...ok, I will defintely do that, thank you
I taught my girls if the machine (or tool ) was design to be operated with a pair of hands, I guess your qualified.....and they ran most of the equipment on the farm when needed. Had one who got pretty good with doing final grades on the horse arena's with the tractors we built for folks (this was out in Colorado). Its as much about desire to learn and apply those skills as anything, and that's everyone. I can say emphatically my girls were less likely to tear up equipment than my boys or hired folks. Faster learners. But that was how they were, everyone is an individual. Another concept I learned was ( and it applies to anyone ) make certain a person starting to learn a more complex set of skill has the BEST equipment possible, not always smallest or cheapest. But the best for their situation.  Especially when things are in and around risky things. Better equipment makes learning easier and more fun....actually with my kids that mattered as having their attention in a positive way was also safer. Matters even more for me now, because if it isn't fun at my point in life...probably not doing it unless I have no choice!

Old Greenhorn

I just spent 40 minutes trying to find courses in your sate with no luck. I guess it is not much in demand there. There are good classes up in PA, but not sure how far that is for you. If you can find a 'Game Of Logging" class (level 1) I think that would be your best fit for your needs. Other classes vary as to goals and content and I have no idea what they may teach. I did find one in your state, but would not recommend it because it has no actual hands on cutting, seemed like all talk. That's not what you need. Take a look for the courses up in PA and see if you can't find something.
 By The way, that is a nice spread you guys are running there. Wish I was closer.

Thank You Sponsors!