The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Deere 648G III  (Read 938 times)

Offline labradorguy

• Full Member x2
  • Proudly clinging to my guns and my religion.
    • Share Post
Deere 648G III
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:37:45 PM »
A couple of the guys on here convinced me that I REALLY should check these machines out before pulling the trigger on a TJ. Anyone know where a deal is to be found? I've been looking at the usual places but everyone wants a bloody fortune for these machines and most that I found were in really sad shape. Thanks guys.

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Deere 648G III
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 09:14:42 PM »
 I see decent used ones go for 35-60k, all depends what your looking for. Another guy I work with has one and its fast, I'm not impressed with the stability but that's also on 24.5 tires. Parts are available for them, lots of them in the boneyard already. 

Offline labradorguy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 08:39:20 AM »
It seems like the ones around me in the 30-40k range are ran to death and look pretty beat up. It would be nice to find an owner operator one for sale. Some of those guys really take care of their machines as opposed to corporate machines that don't get near the TLC.

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »
 All you have to do is post on a couple of these equipment groups on FB your looking for one and in 2hrs theres 20+ of them for sale, I see them all the time and most of them dont look best to death. Honestly a 648 is getting to small for what I'm doing, I like the 748G3 because of the 8.1 engine which is close to bullet proof. I know of a 620C tigercat in nice shape you can buy right now for 34k ir your seriously looking, sits in OH, I've been debating it. 

Offline Riwaka

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 08:29:56 PM »
Early builds of the Tigercat C series skidders can have the 'no parts on the shelf' axletech axles. Though the C series also had the John Deere/ Funk Sweda 1400 axles as an option.
Preferable to find a Tigercat C skidder with the sweda axles already on it.
Axletech has had a few operational revisions.
Another reinvention for AxleTech

Offline labradorguy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 09:09:34 PM »
I don't know a thing about tiger cat.... Wish I did. I'm open to it if someone here knows of something solid that is priced right. I need a good deal, I'm WAY overdue, but I also want to spend enough that I'm getting iron that is ready to go to work not be wrenched on right off the bat. Know what I mean?

I've been told by some of you fellas that once you go double arch you don't go back so I figured what the helk. I'm open to giving them a go too. Just gotta have a good winch on it along with the grapple.

Yeah, I'm not on Facebook. No Instagram, No Snapchat, No Kick stuff. I'm throwing my Iphone away as soon as this one dies and I'm going back to a bag phone in the truck. Tired of cracked screens, crappy batteries, poor signals, and Big Freaking Brother knowing everything about me and everything I like.

Offline kiko

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 10:19:24 PM »
I am sure every area is different. Around here a 30 to 50k skidder that does not need immediate wrenching is a blue unicorn.  All the C tigercats I have encountered had the 1400 jd heavy duty 20 bolts on trumpet to center housing and 14 wheel bolts and Sweda( super wide extreme duty axle) also 1400.   This may related to the spec dealers purchased.

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 11:19:09 PM »
 If your working in rugged ground dual arch is nice, depends on the size of the wood your in also, I get cutting the big stuff on a decent skid I start hooking chokers. 
 Good luck finding something really newer for cheap money in awesome shape, especially a newer grapple. I gave 45k for my 460 no questions asked because I knew it wasnt thrashed. I can give you that guys # with the 620, for what it is i dont think it's a bad machine. 
I can sell you that for 16k ? 

28k. 

Get you a decent engine down Timbco for 14k... 😂 

The deals are out there, 

Offline labradorguy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 10:13:22 AM »
I found this one and y'all told me to keep looking.... :D

1994 Timberjack 450C converted to cable- Has a 2004 engine in it 4500 hours showing but owner says probably not accurate, very tight. Backup machine for 10 years. When bought- new pins, bushings, cradle pins, cylinders rebuilt, brakes, etc... <1000 hr on it since bought. Deere winch. 30K

Found this one not terribly far from me. More $$ 

I know what you mean about wrenching.... I was just meaning it would suck to be the guy who drops 40K on an old skidder, runs it two hours, things start flying apart, and it is down for three months. My buddy did that and he was a sad puppy all spring. He was even sadder when to get it up and running again was a five digit deal.... I would really like to avoid that if I could. ;) 

Offline Riwaka

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 03:11:50 PM »
Photo appears to be a 648H rather than a 648G3 unless there has been decal swapping going on.
Usually need to check machine serial number if they are still visible or the tag is not missing etc.

Offline labradorguy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 07:29:51 PM »
I'm not totally stuck on the G III. I'm just looking for something decent that isn't going to break the bank.

Offline Riwaka

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 10:59:09 PM »
Could always go and rent a skidder. Guessing that a low hour rental machine's 'rental rates' would soon add up (in a few weeks) to the outright purchase cost of a high hour used machine. or a base monthly rental fee and engine hour rental charge on top. etc Or sign you up for six months to a year etc.

Forest/Landscaping Equipment Rentals | Cat Rental Store

Compare the used equipment warranties offered by JD, Cat etc. Usually offered on expensive low hour machinery? (Some places do warranties on higher hour machines)
Used equipment protection plans - Powertrain or powertrain and hydraulics.
https://www.fabickcat.com/support/warranty-options/

Similarly JD with their used machines.
John Deere warranty of used equipment ( up to 12 months on powertrain and hydraulics for wheeled Feller bunchers and skidders)

Used Equipment | Construction | John Deere US

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 10:50:03 AM »
Iíve ran multiple glllís and a few Hís. The glll is a great fast light skidder. Engines are about every 6-10,000 it seemed. The H has had nothing major but turbo and egr crap. Codes all the time but pulls wood everyday. Both will run 30,000 hrs with no problems (other than engine) if taken care of. Iíd buy a high hour of either one just exspect a engine. These are all torque converter that I ran.  Which I I think is the way to go. Three pedals suck. Good luck.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
1997 John Deere 648G Steering Issue

Started by spinner on Forestry and Logging

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2020, 07:45:38 PM
by kiko
xx
648g question

Started by missouri_logger on Forestry and Logging

2 Replies
Last post November 04, 2011, 02:53:00 PM
by kiko