The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Help I Bought A WoodMizer LT15  (Read 1554 times)

Offline slider

• Senior Member x2
  • sawyer,trucker,tree service
    • Share Post
Re: Help I Bought A WoodMizer LT15
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 05:20:24 PM »
depending on how far the logs are from the mill i would put that mill on a suitable base weather it be on timbers or concrete then build a loading ramp that you can stage your logs on and then just roll them onto the mill. If you can find some used roller tables it would help for off loading your lumber. I am not too far from you, Irwin county,Ocilla Ga. if you can drop by and see my setup just pm me . By all means contact wm and get in there system so you can buy parts.
al glenn

Offline Woodpecker52

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 06:33:41 PM »
Loggers in control do not to run and cut through salvage. Hard to get production and it is all about production.  Most around here use monster skidders and feller bunchers etc. salvage is just salvage.  Plus you would be paid salvage prices which is next to nothing.  In addition there is not shortage in merchantable wood just markets.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Offline Woodpecker52

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 06:38:41 PM »
In my early days of industrial forestry in Arkansas, I remember seeing potlach corp. Spray and kill about 2,000 acres of nice hardwood because there was no market and they wanted to plant pine.  Just one of many vomit moments in the name of forest management.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 07:11:37 PM »
I don't understand why the sawmills wouldn't want the wood if cut to their length and specs. Seems like some decent sized logs there and a quick way to deal with the amount you have and save some for yourself.

After a large storm there are probably more logs on the ground in the area than the mills and loggers can handle. They will have lined up all the best salvage jobs they can get through before the logs start to degrade. Means no one available to salvage that patch, and no market for the logs if they did. 

We had a freak wind storm knock down a lot of plantation forest in South Taranaki a few years back. Luckily it was only a localised area, so they could bring crews in from other nearby jobs (that weren't time critical), and get most of the mess cleaned up before the bugs ate too much. And most of the logs were going to export, so it was just a matter of getting the excess logs to the port. But for a few months there were about 2X the number of log trucks on the road, and a lot for out of the province. Once the windfalls were cleaned up, things went back to normal, and the scheduled harvests carried on where they left off. 

But if that sort of event happened over a wider area, it just wouldn't be possible to get all the logs harvested in time. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 07:31:31 PM »
I may have had that same model mill, mine was also an LT15 with Kohler 15hp and rope crank feed.  It was a workhorse, solid as an axe.  The rope feed is optional, if you set it up just a little downhill, you can feed it by hand pushing.
I mounted two 2x6 steel channel under my bed rails, and put an axle under it and welded a trailer tongue to the front.  Instant mobility.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 08:32:31 PM »
I don't mean to be the Debbie Downer here but do you have a market for that lumber?  Pine is horrible right now, has been for quite a while, add to that the market excess in your area because of the storm, the fact it has been down for a while and it's about to get warm, and the simple storm stress damage you have a product that is really hard to get rid of.  The oak is a little better prospect by itself, but again storm damaged trees tend to reveal a lot of issues once they hit a mill deck.  I get what you are trying to do, and having lost around 100 maples in the same storm that are still in an area that is way to wet to even think about going into, I understand the frustration.  Sometimes you can easily throw good money after bad due to an emotional reaction.  Just asking if you have a way to recover some of the additional effort and treasure you are about to put into this endeavor.    
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Hyrb

• Share Post
    • MPD Digital
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 09:14:45 PM »
Thanks a LOT for the help and advice.  This is an awesome forum!

I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping the mill.  Even if I lose most of the downed pine I can save much of the oak and other hardwood.  It will take time but I can buck most of them into 12 -16 ft logs and lay it out on railroad ties or limbs off the ground.

Y'all are right in the beetles already working on the pines.  It's a mess.  One of the main reasons I got the wood chipper and will be using the chips to cover most of the ground where we will be building by the creek.  

Much of the logs will go towards building our retirement property there in the next couple of years.  There is little to NO market here right now.  There are thousands of acres in as bad or worse shape than mine.  Essentially a swath of land about 100 miles wide and a few hundred long, from the Gulf Coast to Albany in SW GA.

My timber is not nearly as good as a lot that is down, there are 100 plus year old pines and oaks all over the place and my land was last cut over about 25 years ago except for a lot of the older hardwood.  The sawyers and timber companies can write their own tickets here.  None I know now will pick any off the ground.

Setting up the mill other than as a portable one will be a challenge, my biggest issue is security as We still live an hour away from this property.  I guess I could set it up over by our camp area.  It's a little heavy to run away with.

After I pick up the mill I'm sure I'll be back!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bought an LT15

Started by mdennisusa1 on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 09:07:27 PM
by mdennisusa1
xx
I bought a LT15 Electric today

Started by sst04 on Sawmills and Milling

25 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 12:52:47 PM
by Ted J