iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw, TimW and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Old Greenhorn

Ah, that will buff right out. ;D Or you could plant a bush there so you don't have to see it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

stanwelch

:)  I was amazed in February when I was there that it wasn't dented. 
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

EOTE

Quote from: WDH on June 13, 2020, 06:51:24 AM
In a dumb move, not paying attention moving logs with the tractor, I backed into the corner of my lumber building hitting it on the corner with the box blade :-\.  Hurt my feelings more than it hurt the building.  

Now that you baptized it, you will probably never hit it again. :)
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

firefighter ontheside

WV, did they say anything about possible tendon damage on that middle finger?  Yeah, I would say that's getting too wet.  Are you working and getting sweaty.  Maybe you need more couch/recliner time.

Danny, the corner of my fenced yard looks just like the corner of yer building.  My old tractor had clutch issues and even though I pressed the clutch it kept on driving and the blade snagged the post.  A new corner trim piece would probably fix most of the damage.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

@firefighter ontheside ,

The PA did not mention any tendon damage. I think it looks better today after a little drying time last night. I showered and washed it good a while ago and am letting it dry another few minutes then I will bandage and splint them for the night. I liberally coat a non-stick pad with triple antibiotic ointment, wrap a few wraps of gauze around it then tape it. Then I put the splint back on and wrap it with an ace bandage. I don't think I ever got the gauze sweaty as I kept it wrapped until last night. I did go push mower the front yard a little last night but immediately came in and showered and washed the fingers, let them dry nearly an hour then bandaged it. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

Howard, don't you have a neighbor you could pay to fix your rider?  I have several push mowers but they are relegated to recreational purposes only these days.

Danny, I know that dinging your shed hurt your feelings but, probably like a lot of folks on here, I have been operating tractors since I was 10 years old and I still find a way to do things like that.  I am glad you are able to get out and do stuff.

After yesterday and the night before, I have black fingernails on both hands.
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

Cavey,

Thanks for the concern.

I could either fix it or get my son to fix it (It is just removing 4 bolts in the spindle, putting a new one back then putting the blade on, and the belt then tightening the tension spring and ready to go - the spring I could not do now) but with the slopes and creek bank/drop-offs I mow I feel safer push mowing it myself till I have 2 working hands. I asked my PA yesterday about the vibration from the mower and she said she did not see where it would bother the fractured fingers which was my concern as the tip are pretty well protected with the bandages and the split. I don't want to try to run a weedeater yet and with the push mower I can get closer to the tight spots. I did not run a tank of gas through the push mower so it was not an extended session. I figured maybe an hour a day at sunset then go grab a shower, air out the stitches for an hour and re-bandage and re-splint.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Roxie

It's enough to make a person wonder if we own property or if it owns us. 
Say when

WDH

Quote from: stanwelch on June 13, 2020, 09:53:31 AM
:)  I was amazed in February when I was there that it wasn't dented.
I guess that you did not see the holes in the other end where I punched through with the tractor forks :-\. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stanwelch

:D I didn't see the other damage.  :)   What else are you not telling me?
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

farmfromkansas

Boy, I did a dumb one on Friday afternoon.  The AC on the tractor wasn't working the best, and decided I should add a can of 134.  Took the cap off the compressor, and was looking to see if that was the right place to connect my hose, and touched the back of my left hand on the back of the fan.  The noise was like buzz for just a second or so, got the hand away, dropped and lost the cap, and was hoping the hand was not too badly damaged, and went ahead and put a can of freon in.  Much cooler AC.  Put the cold can against my wound, and it froze to it.  Was so sore that evening, when I went to bed, couldn't find a place to put the hand without it hurting.  Much better the next morning.  And it improved all day Saturday. I can make a fist today.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

firefighter ontheside

Ouch.  You didn't put your tongue on there did ya?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

farmfromkansas

No, didn't put my tongue on it.  The can warmed up when it was empty. Tractor was a lot more pleasant to run with just one can added.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

WV Sawmiller

I went in this afternoon and the nurse practitioner on duty took out the stitches. A couple were buried pretty deep and she struggled a little to get them pulled up enough to cut then pull out. Surprisingly, to me anyway, there was more itching than pain associated with removing them. She said everything looked good and complimented the ER doc for good tight stitches to close the wound tightly. She says I can leave it open to the air at home but suggested I cover them before going out where there is more risk to getting crud in the wound to encourage more infection. Now I am just hoping the ortho doc tells me Friday I can do away with the splint.

Won't win any beauty contests but sure looks lots better than it did 13 days ago. Looks like I will lose about 1/3 of the nail off the index finger instead of the whole nail like I expected. The nail on the middle finger seems intact and the bubble/blister looking lump is where the ER doc pulled the loose skin over an open cut and it will sluff off or be absorbed I gather. I still can't bend them far but don't want to try much more till the ortho doc says okay.
Howard Green

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

the nail should re-grow, you would have never won a beauty contest anyway!  a little scratch on the finger is a real pain in the ash!   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Now Doc, that wasn't very nice. >:( I think we need to send you back to take some "Remedial Bedside Manners Classes." :D
Howard Green

doc henderson

most of my older patients (you qualify)  look at me then laugh and appreciate my "bedside manner".    hope you do well old man! :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

Had to have several large trees removed adjacent to the powerline.  One really big oak was partially uprooted and hung up in a couple of other trees and hanging over my powerline.  Had to be removed from the top down.  I told the tree service that I would clean up.  So I was moving a big load of limbs on the forks with the tractor when one pretty nice sized limb fell out of the load right in front of the tractor.  The little voice on my left shoulder said, "You should stop the tractor, get off, and drag that limb out of the way."  The little voice on the right shoulder said, "Naw, just run over it, it will not be a problem."  Well, so much for the old saying, "Discretion is the better part of valor."

So much for saving money by doing the clean up myself :-\.  "Stupid is as stupid does".
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, the Kubota hydraulic filters are pretty exposed.  Some folks make guards to go,around them.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Banjo picker

They don't give that kubota fluid away either, and I wouldn't dare mix something else in with it.  Have heard reports of bad things happening when you do. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

From the looks of that fluid it was contaminated with water and needed replacing.....badly.  One place where it usually enters is a cracked gear shift.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Than with the 2 dealers that I went to, they would not have the filter in stock and I would be down a week waiting for parts.  ::)  ::)  :o :o >:( >:(  Real  >:( >:(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Andries

Quote from: Magicman on June 16, 2020, 10:01:00 PM
From the looks of that fluid it was contaminated with water and needed replacing.....badly.  One place where it usually enters is a cracked gear shift.  
MM is on the money here Danny.
Sometimes the little boo-boo reveals a potentially big crap fest coming your way. 
Those little voices were your best friends!
Best not use that machine again till you've changed oil and filters, plus figured out where the water is coming from. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

moosehunter

That might be water contamination but may also be air in the fluid from it still running while low on fluid. 
mh 
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Thank You Sponsors!