iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Southside on March 03, 2022, 10:29:35 PM
When the clutch is engaged both engine driven hydraulic pumps on my Super 70 are pushing oil to the tune of 18 GPM, I don't recall the pressure, but it's enough that we have trophy markers off the back side of the mill showing just how far logs have gone when launched up and over the backstops, that seems to give them more of an arc to get better distance than just tossing them flat off the back, or at least I have been told.  ::)
Chain turner at full RPM is very convenient to debark and de-stone some logs. If the logs are perfectly round.  I can twirl small-medium ones at about 60 rpm give or take.

I did that yesterday, the customer insisted in scooting them around in muddy gravel. Bark and stones went flying.

Works only if the logs are perfectly round.  If not,  they go over the backstops. Then you have to start all over again.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Wlmedley

I am starting to realize that a manual mill is probably best for me.If I had a hydraulic mill like a lot of you have I would have probably tore it all to pieces by now.Getting older and dumber :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

Machinebuilder

But I don't want to admit how often I roll a log off because a stop fell.....................or I forgot to raise them.

I would love to have hydraulics, but then there are a lot of other pieces of equipment I would want too.

I still tear things up I'm just slower at it ;D ;D
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Nebraska

Oh you don't have to have hydraulics to roll them off the backside of the mill....
Admiting for a friend.... ;)
He might have also knicked his  clamp last night and dulled a blade just a little...

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Wlmedley on March 04, 2022, 12:48:17 PM
I am starting to realize that a manual mill is probably best for me.If I had a hydraulic mill like a lot of you have I would have probably tore it all to pieces by now.Getting older and dumber :laugh:
So I interpret this as saying hydraulics lets you make more impressive mistakes and make them much faster. Is that about right?

Kind of like saying the advantage of 4 wheel drive is it lets you get stuck in much more inaccessible places. :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

I think another way to sum it up is the say that "to err is human, but to really screw things up in a spectacular way, you need hydraulics". At least, that has been my experience. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

I got my helical head installed in my planer today.  It wasn't too difficult as I followed along with a youtube video from the manufacturer of the head.  I gave the middle finger to the machine at one point.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

rusticretreater

So its pretty sharp.  Glad you didn't need an EMT.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

doc henderson

I am glad you did not give the whole middle finger to the planer.   ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rusticretreater

Well Ise at it again.  I have been clearing land for my new garage/workshop 30'x40' and have been locked in battle with some large tree stumps.

I got one of the two biggest loose today, but my tractor couldn't lift it or pull it out of the hole, even after I dug a ramp for it to slide up.  So I went and got my pickup truck and my big winch.

Driving through the area is like a bomb scarred battlefield with stump holes everywhere.  So I carefully steer into the area and then things come to a mighty abrupt halt. I found a stump at just the right height had wedged under the rear axle, just inside the tire with the shackle mounting bolts firmly embedded in the top of the stump. Truck wouldn't budge even in 4 wheel drive.

So I got my chainsaw, a floor jack, a jack stand and some support wood.  Jacked it up, sawed off the stump with wood chips flying in my face, let it down and drove off the stump.  I then had to whack it a few times with my sledge to knock the stump off of the bolts. 

I did however, win in the end and got the stump out of the hole.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

WV Sawmiller

Not sure to classify as dumb or just an accident but it still hurts. I noticed a 12" ash tree in my pasture that had broken about halfway through up about 15-20 feet above ground. It had about 60' of top leaning in another tree in/over my travel path in my pasture which stopped it from breaking through so I decided yesterday it would be prudent to cut it for safety reasons. I sawed through with my chainsaw knowing it was going to kick back but I had the other tree there to block it. Sure enough when cut through it kicked and I stepped back and aside but tripped over a rock there and fell with my L arm stiff and jammed it. I am not sure if it is my shoulder or just where but it is sore and stiff and I can not raise it straight up even to my shoulder height. I don't see a bruise nor did anything hit hit. I did not break anything but it looks like it will be a while before it is back to normal. I dragged the tree down the hill to my woodshed and cut it up for firewood and likely got a week's worth of firewood from it. I even split the bottom 30' or so today with a maul so the arm still works but is sore and hard to raise.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

KenMac

You just buy a very tough hydraulic mill!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

firefighter ontheside

MrRetreater, that's quite an ordeal.  I'm glad you were able to prevail in the end.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Wlmedley

Quote from: KenMac on March 06, 2022, 07:50:35 PM
You just buy a very tough hydraulic mill!
I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic for over 40 years.Before I retired I thought that there was nothing I couldn't fix.Now I think that there is nothing I can't tear up  :embarassed:

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

Old Greenhorn

Well, it's my turn in the barrel...again. This one took a few days to accomplish, I really worked at it. ;D

First, it is well documented that of all the things I do over the course of time, I hate painting the most, in fact it is one of the few thigs I hate at all. SO I built these two Mushroom inoculation table systems for a client and although I need to make 4 more drilling benches (because I already sold two) I also have to paint them. These things are nothing but corners and edges, miserable painting work, from my perspective. I had wanted to do them outside with an airless sprayer, but it will be a while before the weather cooperates for that, so a brush it was.

Anyway, they need painting but the paint and color is not critical, just to protect the wood and help it last a little longer living outside. I talked the customer into exterior latex in whatever I could find in the 'oops rack' (returned custom colors). So about 3 weeks ago I bought a gallon for 10 bucks. The other day I saw it on the table and realized I had bought interior paint. I thought about using it anyway, but decided that would be wrong. Yesterday I found the PERFECT paint on the oops rack and HD. It was high end Behr waterproof Stain & Sealer. Plus the color was a perfect brown, exactly what I wanted. 8)I was gloating to myself.

Now it takes me a long time to use an entire gallon of paint, and I never thought I would use this up. Today I decided was the day to bite the bullet and get this done. Sure enough, it took all day to do all the detail work and, sure enough, the gallon got used up. It got used up before I could finish. So I painted everything but the bottom of the one saw horse. Plus I still have to go over it all and do touch up's.

So my 'something dumb' was that I got an expensive gallon of paint and now have the same of going back with the can and getting another gallon made up to match that color at about $47./gallon. Not what I planned by any means. But at least the customer gets some first class sealer on his job I never planned on.
 No pictures and it didn't happen, right?

Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

If color does not matter why try to match it? Make them camo pattern or tie tie and that way you never have to worry what matches. 

I had a friend who said he knew a lady who buys all kinds of oddball dishes and silverware at flea markets and yard sales and when she has a dinner party or such she is real careful to make sure nobody ever gets a matching plate, dish or silverware. You can do the same with your mushroom stations. Just a thought.

BTW - we built some outdoor tables for our church when I was a teen and someone suggested we use the same kind of paint they had used on the last ones because they had stood up to the Fla weather for 40-50 years. (An old deacon told me later they had actually used the cheapest indoor paint they could find so don't discount that can of indoor paint out of hand! :D)
Howard Green

Don P

Howard, is the arm raising on its own yet?

Mine was over the weekend, in the last couple of free hours on Sunday I decided to knock over a few dead ash and a walnut. Just a few more inches...  Bulldozers sink like a stone :D.

WV Sawmiller

Don,

Every day I get a little more use in it. I assume it is the shoulder causing the problem. I can reach across to the front with no major problem but lifting straight out to my left or even reaching out level is hard to do. It is even hard to raise just to put a shirt on. I don't know which particular joint or muscle is the culprit. I have been able to split the ash firewood logs with a maul but basically I am lifting my injured left arm with my right arm when I raise the splitting maul. Driving it down is not a problem. What is it they say - getting old is not for sissies.
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Yeah Howard, how is that arm? Form your description, I suspect you did more damage than you want to admit. Now apparently Don has a sympathy injury. Geez, you guys don't seem any smarter than me sometimes. ;D I hope you both heal up quick.

As for the camo idea, no thanks, too late now. I am NOT going back over all this stuff to make it match. I have to get another gallon matched so that I can finish off what's left without any discernable difference. Plus I still have those 2 drilling benches to go with these table and the two extras I am making based on high hopes of a sale. If they don't sell I will just make them into saw horses that are lower than normal.

firefighter ontheside

Tom, I hate painting too.  I spray when I can, but the weather doesn't allow for that right now.  I've taken to using a 6"roller for the big areas and then a brush where needed.  It wastes some paint soaked into the roller, but saves time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, I had one of those small rollers, but there is so few places on this job that it wouldn't eve fit that it just wasn't worth using it. I do use those little rollers quite a bit and they make it go fast, but on this job, not so much. Also this particular material was not as thick as normal paint, it is a stain/sealer and I knew the stuff would just fly all over off that roller. It's more like water than paint for some reason.

WV Sawmiller

FFOTS,

I bet if you actually compared identical coverage you'd find that roller actually uses/wastes a lot less paint than the spraying. I bet the spraying is a lot more of a time and convenience factor than it is a cost of materials savings. You probably still come out ahead in the end by spraying especially by reaching some of those hard to reach spots and doing it much faster. ;)
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Well I can say that the painting I did today in 9 hours would have taken me about 2 hours or less with the airless electric sprayer AND I would have gotten paint in those blind areas I can't get with a brush. Yeah, I would have used more product but considering my lack of love for the painting process, I would have gladly taken the hit. I ran out of paint anyway.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 08, 2022, 08:46:13 PM
FFOTS,

I bet if you actually compared identical coverage you'd find that roller actually uses/wastes a lot less paint than the spraying. I bet the spraying is a lot more of a time and convenience factor than it is a cost of materials savings. You probably still come out ahead in the end by spraying especially by reaching some of those hard to reach spots and doing it much faster. ;)
Yeah, a lot of my sprayed paint is in the wind, but it also makes for a much more professional looking finish in the end.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

That's what I thought from the description. Cool it on impact activities till it calms down and let the bursa lose its swelling and chafing things. If it persists you probably damaged one of the rotator cuff tendons, I doubt for the first time. (from previous did something dumb days  :D). You're probably Salem VA, if it goes private, right around the corner is my shoulder doc, VA Ortho, Waldrop, he's good.

It took some doing and I think a set of root rate seals to get the lady of the mud to let go of the dozer. From the looks of the mess I'm not sure whether to fill or dip it out and stock it  :D.

Thank You Sponsors!