iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Ljohnsaw

Do you know the address of where this guy lives?  Maybe a FF member is close by and can pay him a visit :snowball:
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

I appreciate the sentiment, John.  I do not have an address and I imagine the name that I have is not real.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

fluidpowerpro

Tell him you want to send him a UPS prepaid shipping label, so you need his physical address.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

firefighter ontheside

One of my coworkers said he ordered some lathe chisels from a website that seemed legit.  He got a tracking number to show shipping.  A few days later he receieved a small box with super hero stickers in it.  He wondered where that came from, but didn't think it was related.  A few days later when his chisels hadnt showed up he compared the tracking numbers.  They were the same.  The website was a scam and they just ship you something small so you don't become aware of the problem until it is too late to cancel payment.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

I've heard of that scam before too. If you get a box with a lightbulb as a "free thank you gift from the seller", you just got hoodwinked. ::)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

RichTired

I had something similar happen to me.  >:( It was an Amazon return of a DeWalt combo kit. Website looked legit. I got shipping updates and then a week later I got a "Lucky Box" with a few plastic 3-inch screwdrivers, a guitar pick, plastic tongs, and a small sleeve with a few screwdriver tips. Maybe $3 worth of stuff. After a few back-and-forth emails with their customer service, I just contacted my CC company and disputed the charge as a scam. After providing some documentation, the CC company refunded my money. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Southside

I had a guy reverse charges on me one time after buying turf.  It was almost 6 months.  We had a signature from him, emails, texts, etc - didn't matter he claimed he didn't recall the 2400 lb purchase and they sent him back his money.  My mistake was I keyed his card as it would not scan.  Now if a card does not scan - give me a different one.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

I don't buy online; I want to see and touch the product before I get my wallet out. Being north of the 49th it is more trouble and often more expensive than it is worth.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Crusarius

FFOTS, that is exactly what happened to me. What I figured out is part of the site that sells clothing seems legit, but they use the scam money from the other stuff to finance the entire operation. So their operation is fully funded by the scam. total floating operation.

I am still waiting for my money back but I have no doubt I will get it because if they don't and I go to the CC and enough ppl do that the company will get blacklisted. and then they will have to start over again.

WV Sawmiller

I am a little reluctant to post this as I have received unkind comments from some members about similar incidents in the past but ...

Today was the first day of rifle rifle season. I had a very nice 6 point 10 yards from me yesterday but I could not draw on him with my bow without being heard (Probably my old joints popping and creaking) and seen so he got away. I went back there this morning with my rifle but he was a no-show today. I started out to my upper stand just after noon I started up to my upper stand. At a steep turn on the trail I chose the right fork instead of the left. A bucket sized rock was in the trail that I have been meaning to roll out of the way but I tried to drive past it on the upper side. The front left wheel of my ATV just missed it but the back one ran up on it and the ATV slid over on top of it and I guess it rolled and rolled the ATV. It landed upside down and I bounced off a few rocks seriously bruising my left side and scraping my scalp enough to draw blood. My rifle was slung across my back and it did not seem to do it any good especially the plug of mud in the end of the barrel. I ran the winch to a couple of trees and got the ATV flipped upright and loaded all the gear back in the front basket, went uphill to a spot I could turn around and went back home. Other than a little cracked plastic I did not see any obvious damage to the ATV.

I cleaned and doctored my scraped up gourd and took an 800 ml ibuprofen, then I cleaned and punched the bore on my rifle. I went back to the top of the pasture and fired a few test rounds through it from 100 yards to make sure I had not knocked the scope out of alignment. I made a few clicks adjustment but it would still have hit the kill zone on a whitetail at 100 yards. If anything it is shooting a tighter group than before. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

I'm glad that you and your equipment are okay.  The young buck got a reprieve today, but you'll probably get another crack at him.  
Caveman

Crusarius

sounds like you need to upgrade to a UTV or side by side. your not getting any younger. Something with a roll cage could be beneficial.

Walnut Beast

Well if you get that little rascal you will have a good story and some tasty eating. Be safe!!!

Old Greenhorn

Howard, Howard, Howard, you gotta take care of yourself man! That could have been a lot worse, especially since you were alone. I am glad you just have some bumps and minor cuts, but also hope when you wake tomorrow morning you don't find a new pain you didn't notice today. 
 Glad your gear survived, now you live to fight again another day. Try not to be in such a hurry. We don't want to hear any more stories like this, its not fun to learn of someone getting hurt. You got lucky.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

A $100 helmet is cheaper than an ER visit... smiley_mc_helmet 

Speaking as someone who had a mild concussion once (I didn't have a hard hat on). smiley_hardhat 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Old Greenhorn

Just to take some of the heat off Howard, I will confess to getting 'pretty lucky' today. I was drawknifing hard bark off a cherry slab in the shop getting ready to make another bench and I was 'getting into it' a bit. Tough bark in many places. At some point my left hand slipped off the handle whilst the right hand and handle kept moving, at speed. This caused the knife to pirouette (neat word) in the air and I first tried to control it as it pulled out of my right hand but then it completely cleared that hand also and was free spinning in the air following a gentle arc as it headed toward the concrete floor. All I could think of was 'my edge' and the damage it might take, so I made a desperate lunge with my left hand and managed to get my hand under it but I was a little too far forward with my hand. So instead of the blade coming to land in the palm of my hand it landed on the heel of my left thumb and slid neatly into the palm of my hand. I was pretty impressed with myself for having caught it right at the balance point (mid-blade) and since this all happened in the space of 3 seconds, thought I did pretty good. But then I felt a little sting and looked at the heel of my left thumb. Did I mention I like my draw knives to be very sharp? Yeah, as the blade deftly slid into the palm of my hand it also slid across the heel of my thumb and left a very fine red line. It didn't go very deep (I gotta sharpen that knife), but it does sting pretty good 3 hours later.
 The good news is, the blade is just fine. Just like Howard's rifle.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

Howard, I'm thankful you and the rifle are okay.  That the atv survived too is good news.  

Riding an atv in the mountains isn't always as easy as some might think.  I've had some close calls here.

Heal quickly!

Tom, glad the drawknife didn't draw more than it did.  Hope that sting goes away soon.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Thanks for the kind remarks and suggestions. To make things worse my cell phone popped out of my pocket and ended up under the handlebar. It cracked the outer glass but it is a flip phone and when I opened it the inside is okay so it still works fine.

I could not get a UTV up to this area if I had one. A roll cage would be nice though. I'm not sure about the full helmet but a bike helmet might be a good idea. The rollover basically happened from a complete stop and was not speed related. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Glad to hear you are OK, and in all seriousness maybe that's just not ATV ground. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

A roll cage might make the ATV continue to roll, like to the bottom of the mountain!

Seriously, a roll cage will necessitate a seat belt like a ROPS on a tractor.  Getting pinned under the roll cage would be an intolerable indignity.  

jpassardi

Yes, good to hear you're OK.
Accidents can happen while doing the simplest things. It's often when you're tired and/or in a hurry.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

beenthere

OGH
And you still have your thumb. Coulda been worse. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Crusarius

if the UTV will fit and has good tires it will go just as good as any ATV out there.

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!