The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Old Husqvarna 266se very hard to pull  (Read 9204 times)

Offline garyy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Old Husqvarna 266se very hard to pull
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 01:04:47 PM »
I have the same problem did you ever find a solution> I have a huqavarna 435 and did research too on line and they said it could have broke the key on the flywheel and be out of timing. I've done a few things and even tried pulling it with Carb off, so Carb has nothing to do with it what so ever. I did what you did and removed the plug and pulls freely so it's not binding up from the brake being too tight. I decided to take the flywheel off as I read in another youtube that this is the main cause as these keyways sometimes break and throw off timing and it doesn't take much. My problem is I don't have a puller and I did take nut off and did bang on shaft of the crank but I even tried prying up a little to get it off. I don't see how in the hell it could break if I can't even budge the flywheel off. Any other suggestion from why it may be hard to pull?

Offline Allar

• Full Member x2
  • Firewood Warrior!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 04:38:11 PM »
I have the same problem did you ever find a solution> I have a huqavarna 435 and did research too on line and they said it could have broke the key on the flywheel and be out of timing. I've done a few things and even tried pulling it with Carb off, so Carb has nothing to do with it what so ever. I did what you did and removed the plug and pulls freely so it's not binding up from the brake being too tight. I decided to take the flywheel off as I read in another youtube that this is the main cause as these keyways sometimes break and throw off timing and it doesn't take much. My problem is I don't have a puller and I did take nut off and did bang on shaft of the crank but I even tried prying up a little to get it off. I don't see how in the hell it could break if I can't even budge the flywheel off. Any other suggestion from why it may be hard to pull?
I'v heard that carbon build up on the piston can increase compression significantly and therefor making it harder to pull.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Offline chuck172

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 01:44:45 PM »
I have the exact same problem. I have two old Husky 61's that are almost impossible to pull start. Once I get the saws to fire and heat up a bit, they start fine. Has anyone figured this problem out?

Offline sunnycrest

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2019, 03:04:36 PM »
Have an older 266 SE. Very difficult to pull over when cold and now too hard to turn over enough to start. Will turn over easy with spark plug out. Just ran out of fuel and sat idle for about 10 days so now it takes too much to pull over to start. One or two pulls would start it when hot and being used. As I stated pulls over fine with plug out. Any suggestions appreciated. Checked out many of the usual problems that would cause this but nothing obvious. Thank you.

Offline Green Man

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2019, 09:26:12 PM »
I had a Jonsered 920 that pulled hard like that. The previous owner had mentioned it when I purchased the saw. After a couple of years I found out that the impulse line hose to the carburetor was pinched between the top cover and the case. When I would attach the cover, it would shut down the port connection line that flows between the crankcase and the carb- which the carb needs for the fuel pump connection. 

Now you have compression on both sides of the piston - and you are pulling double duty as the saw is fighting you back.

The 920 had a hose at the base of the cylinder flowing to the carb for this purpose. The Husky 61,266,268,272 series has a port that flows through from the outside edge of the cylinder base, just inside the base gasket, and into a port next to the carb mounting bolts. These saws are similar but not the same and it would be easy to get the wrong gasket, incorrectly placed gasket, or carb mount that would shut down this port. The cylinder base gasket is close to this port and I imagine could also create this problem if the gasket, sealant, or debris plugged the port. Any place along this port flow line and into the carb would be suspect to the blocked flow. 

Offline Sprinter

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2019, 11:35:46 AM »
Heard of a simple way to remove the flywheel. And it worked for me.
I loosened the nut first and with a center punch and hammer, give the
Shaft  center a sharp rap and off she comes. 
Can't remember where I heard this but it worked slick.

Offline sablatnic

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2019, 11:38:59 AM »
If the starter cord is too short or if the pulley has a crack those saws are almost impossible to start - and I have spent quite some time before I found the cracked pulley!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hard to pull husqvarna 61

Started by Gibby058 on Chainsaws

12 Replies
Last post March 24, 2020, 11:21:18 AM
by realzed
xx
hard pull

Started by chuck172 on Chainsaws

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2018, 04:42:03 PM
by sablatnic