The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Work Truck  (Read 936 times)

Offline Tin Horse

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Work Truck
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 08:31:22 AM »
Just bought a 2002 Duramac diesel 2 days ago. Have to upgrade for firewood delivery. Been pulling with the 02 V8 Tundra but not quite legal here. My dump trailer has a GVWR of 12000 lbs. I'm stuck in the 02 era. This truck I hope will do it.
2002 GMC 6.6 HD 3/4 ton. Low mileage, no rust. Florida truck. Previously owned by a mechanic. I can't afford newer and I prefer older. Now I gotta upgrade the license.
Firewood delivery gets real expensive.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 10:19:35 AM »
I have an 06 F250/5.4, when it runs right you can pull stumps with it, trouble is it seldom does.  I can't remember for sure what alan said but I believe they started using cam phasers in 02.  I bought my work truck from my boss a few months ago it's a 99 F250 with V10, I'm happy with it but also spent the summer using it for work (concrete) and knew the truck. I mainly use it for hauling cattle with a 24' stock trailer and it handles that well but it does like gas, 9mpg pretty consistently.  It has 265k and has been a work truck for 3 owners now, uses/leaks a little oil but I can live with that.

Offline florida

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 11:20:51 AM »
What's your budget?  Are you going to pay cash or finance?  Is this truck going to make money for you? Insurance is pretty much a fixed expense, gas, oil and other maintenance will be more on an old truck then a new one and the monthly payments could be more than a new truck, just for a shorter period. Odds are if you can afford a $500.00 a month payment for the next 2 years you can afford it for the next 6. So, look at the monthly payment and if you can make the truck produce enough income to pay it buy a new truck. You'll have 3 or 4 years with low to no repairs, a warranty and possibly better milage. 
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.

Offline gshd1

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 06:01:49 PM »
I have a 2001 Ford F-250 7.3 diesel. 4x4, 6 speed manual. I bought it online at auction. Flew out West and drove it home and since have driven it all over the USA. it has 225k miles on it. Its in the same condition now that it was 8 years ago when I got it. Just had to add fuel and a few oil changes Great on fuel and has enough power to get it done. Thing is I never drive it on salt covered roads, I have a short box Chevy and a Jeep yj. From Virginia and Arizona. Same deal never see the salt. Here in Massafornia were I'm at they go overkill with road salt. Vehicles are OD ing on the stuff . So if you want to buy an older truck I would say go South or west and go diesel.

Offline mitchstockdale

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 02:43:16 PM »
What's your budget?  Are you going to pay cash or finance?  Is this truck going to make money for you? Insurance is pretty much a fixed expense, gas, oil and other maintenance will be more on an old truck then a new one and the monthly payments could be more than a new truck, just for a shorter period. Odds are if you can afford a $500.00 a month payment for the next 2 years you can afford it for the next 6. So, look at the monthly payment and if you can make the truck produce enough income to pay it buy a new truck. You'll have 3 or 4 years with low to no repairs, a warranty and possibly better milage.
Hey florida, budget is around $5k ish, would like to pay cash, yes truck will be used to make money nights and weekends till I can make a go at things full time, essentially a starter truck to get me going.  I could afford a payment but don't want to.. since this would make things too tight in other areas. I also still have to buy a trailer which i expect to be between $3 and $5K as well.  I guess I was hoping to get set up for about $10k all in.
Do today what others wont, so you can do tomorrow what others cant.

Kubota MX5200 / Norse 366 / Stihl MS361

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Will this work as a logging truck

Started by franknzupan on Forestry and Logging

29 Replies
Last post November 21, 2018, 09:24:32 PM
by Brian w
xx
Drove the same truck to work for 38 years

Started by Sixacresand on General Board

3 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 12:02:25 AM
by WLC