I am sawing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Betcha Linda says that you are sawing in your sleep.  smiley_sleeping
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

E-Tex

SYP, live-edge milling in Louisiana (4/4 and some 8/4).  Customer will use for live-edge siding on different buildings on the property.

What I thought was going to be a 1.5 day job, we were able to knock out in one long day.  

Thank you @YellowHammer , @Magicman , @WDH  for giving me question/answer assistance for this job.

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

goose63

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on September 05, 2019, 10:54:03 AM
Well then pete get a can full of worms and go fishing  :)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

YellowHammer

E-Tex,
Excellent job,
Wonderful view.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

richhiway

Started on those two trailer loads of pine. And fixed the mill after I broke it. Check my other thread.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Jeff

Quote from: busenitzcww on September 04, 2019, 11:35:54 AM

I can almost remember a time  I would have  been eager to tackle that one!  I can certainly remember the reasons I  would not now!  Thumbs up!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DPatton

Quote from: LeeB on September 04, 2019, 08:07:52 AM
Quote from: Magicman on September 04, 2019, 07:27:41 AM
Good job in a very nice setting Lee.  Looks like you have also continued to trim.  smiley_thumbsup

Wonder why that sawmill looks familiar??  :)   Since I long ago removed my board dragback, that table looks strange.  ::)
Lynn,
I might as well have left the table off. We never used the drag back. The guys were pulling the boards off the other end as I jigged back for the next cut. The mill site is two neighbors up the road from from me, may 1/4 mile. Philip is the owner and the guys tailing were Rickie and two of his sons, but mostly Rickie. The only time they ever stopped was when they were waiting on me. Hard working guys I have know since we moved up here, and good friends to boot. This job was a freebie. The boards will be used to reside a 100' x 30' sheep barn.
Nothing will make or break a day of sawing more than the tailers. Good tail gunners will keep you at the controls and the saw head making dust. Bad ones make for some expensive lumber.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Since I am/was sorta "under the weather" today with the tooth situation I decided to make a couple of pre-surveys on a couple of upcoming sawing jobs.  Something that I don't normally do, but these two sounded "not normal".

The first was a visit to a Very Valuable Walnut log that the customer had felled yesterday but has not actually seen himself.

Well at least it has character.  :o

Plus metal.  ::)

And the trunk will make a 4' and a 7' "log".  I sent him these pictures but have not heard back from him yet.

Next on the journey was a huge Red Oak log.

Yup, it's a full grown boy.

With a 43" butt!!

After much head scratching, measuring, and marking, we decided to lop 2' off of the butt end and make four 8½' logs.  That way we will dodge the butt flairs as well as the knotty stuff on the top end.  It will all be 1X6 for flooring.

It was a day well spent plus PatD and I had a very enjoyable time together.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RAYAR

Quote from: goose63 on September 05, 2019, 04:32:19 PM
Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on September 05, 2019, 10:54:03 AM
Well then pete get a can full of worms and go fishing  :)
So Goose, you're telling Pete to go drown worms? Is this kind of talk even allowed on this forum? :D
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

WV Sawmiller

Journeyed 20 miles over to our local/regional airport to do a sawing demo for our regional USDA folks. Turnout was not great but real nice folks and they fed us lunch and I got to visit with new friends. They had an 8' & a 10' poplar log (8' one next to mill hiding behind the center log) and a 10' RO log that was about 16" SED.

I set up in an organized fashion. Good level ground, partly cloudy with 5-10 mph breeze and about 75 degrees F so nice day for it.

I brought along a primitive bench, a couple tomato stakes, a thin 2" lath/project board, a small crate and my samples of 1 bf (a 1"X12"X12", 2"X4"X16", 2"X6"X12", 1"X4"X36", 1"X6"X24"), etc.

I even set up a tarp for the sawdust collection to make cleanup easier and more complete

Sawed some stickers then 4/4 lumber. The RO was mostly 1X10. One of the USDA employees was going to use some or all to wall in a porch or some such project his wife wanted done. Total yield about 216 bf.

My next door neighbor was making chains saw art and sawed a bear cub on a stump and a pumpkin while we watched. I see him at flea market demos fairly regularly and he is real good at it.

I returned home and I think I will just leave the mill hooked up and take it to a local flea market tomorrow as an advertising gimic. I'll take out the tools I don't need and add a couple more benches and some odds and ends and hope the mill is an eye catcher and conversation starter. We will see if that works out. Kind of like old Popcorn Sutton (I think that was his name) on the Moonshiners show who told his proteges "You can't sell it if they don't know you've got it".
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Cut most of this order for 150 white oak 4/4x6x8 and 75 5/4x6x8 on Friday.  I finished the last of it this morning and quit before it got too hot.

The customer will send a check and a truck truck in the morning.  

<
br>

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Ted,

5/4 X 68? Seems unusually short to cut for an order. Was he making a fence or something? I gather it was random/assorted width since you did not specify. Do you charge extra for cutting short lengths like that? 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Typo  :laugh:
5/4 x 6 x 8'. While I don't ask many times, this customer is building fence.  I fixed the typo. :D 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Barney67

Working on some oak this weekend that I've down had for almost a year now, sawed through a half dozen water oaks and then what I thought was a small red oak.

Now I've never sawn red oak before, but I wasn't expecting this. 

This should be the butt log from the same tree. What am I sawin?

EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

Southside

Money wood, you are sawing money wood.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

richhiway

Ran the mill after dinner tonight and got a stack of 1X10X10 a 3X6 I need for a project and a few trim boards for the sawmill shed. Not bad for a swayback pine log.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WDH

Barney, you are right.  Your log is a red oak and a fantastic one at that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Barney67

Thanks Danny! smiley_thumbsup

What causes this pattern?
EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

nativewolf

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 09, 2019, 08:56:13 PM
Typo  :laugh:
5/4 x 6 x 8'. While I don't ask many times, this customer is building fence.  I fixed the typo. :D
Fence?  Then it should not be stickered.  You want the oak as green as you can get it.  Just my personal exp and from selling a few thousand fence boards.  Green, wet, good.  Dry..bad.
Liking Walnut

SawyerTed

The customer is a contractor and very good repeat customer.  He gets it how he wants it.  He wants it stickered and banded.  I don't argue, he pays very well. Besides fence boards he orders various other lumber nearly every month.

Jim_Rogers

Red oak for trailer decking:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WDH

Barney, I am not sure what causes that pattern.  I have not come across that one yet. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!