iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Howard,

I got some red maple logs today and one of them had that shake.  First time that I have seen that in maple.  You can see it on the third log from the left with a lot of heartwood.

This log was 17' long and when I got home I cut it into two 8' 6" logs and that shake was present there too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nebraska

Piece of crooked green ash, was going to become firewood. Turned into two inch slabs. Morning sunlight and a heavy dew made it look really good.  Too pretty to burn.

caveman

John and I sawed up a few small pieces of American Holly this morning from a small tree that was in the backyard of my folks' place in NC.  I cut the tree down on Thursday and we sawed it this morning and applied anchorseal to the ends.  I assume that as humid as it is here we should run fans on it for several days to have any chance of retaining the white color - any other suggestions?

The holly that we did not saw I considered cutting into short lengths, sealing the ends and putting in a paper bag with some sawdust with the idea that it may be good to turn on a lathe.  Should I peel the bark first?
Thanks,
Kyle
Caveman

WDH

If the beetles can get to it, they love the bark.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

The short holly boards are sticker stacked and a fan is blowing through them.  I will cut the others into short sticks and peel the bark tomorrow.  We sawed a few live oak logs today that have been around too long but we did get some quartersawn boards that will also need to go on stickers tomorrow. Life's unanticipated challenges have gotten in the way of sawing lately and tomorrow some logs that used to be pretty good will go on the burn pile.

I added an additional blade lube tank a week or so ago that got a test run today.  I will post pics in sawmill modifications.  It seemed to work well.
Caveman

Crossroads

Not much sawmill activity around here the last few months with all the hours I'm working at the day job. Even been loosing milling jobs that I just couldn't get to. I finally got a weekend off and was able to take a milling job. Made some 2x10,2x6,4x6,6x6, and 6x10's. Unfortunately, wasn't able to finish today, but will be headed back tomorrow after church. 

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Resonator

Looking at his profile, I wonder if Magic Man is sawing any birthday cake today? ???
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LYNN! smiley_beertoast
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

bags

Does that mean MM is finally get'in old?--- Happy birthday Lynn.

I see where some folks have a sawmill dog--- or even a sawmill cat--- up here on the ranch I get to have a sawmill horse. I milled a double burl doug fir log and about 350 BF of blue stain ponderosa this afternoon and my rope horse was under foot all day long.

I was hope'in the burl had a bit more flare to it than it did, but I'll build a couple hall tables from it and make a few bucks.

TimW

I cut my first 6x6 post this weekend.  I milled it to 7x7 and will whittle down after drying.   It is a little over 16.5 feet.  I love cutting these over 2x6s or 2x4s.  What's wrong with me?

Before that I cut these 10 foot 2x4s.  60 of them.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

WDH

nativewolf

Quote from: bags on July 14, 2019, 08:51:36 PM
Does that mean MM is finally get'in old?--- Happy birthday Lynn.

I see where some folks have a sawmill dog--- or even a sawmill cat--- up here on the ranch I get to have a sawmill horse. I milled a double burl doug fir log and about 350 BF of blue stain ponderosa this afternoon and my rope horse was under foot all day long.

I was hope'in the burl had a bit more flare to it than it did, but I'll build a couple hall tables from it and make a few bucks.

That's a first on the Sawmill Pony. Still nice boards.
Liking Walnut

Crossroads

Happy late birthday Lynn, I hope you had a great one!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

Well, we have the sawmill dogs, sawmill mount, and now the sawmill cows. 

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TimW

Happy late Birthday Lynn!
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

RAYAR

HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY! Lynn, hope you had a great day. It was also one of my daughters' birthday too.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Bruno of NH

Getting settled in with the new mill.
Folks are calling in with orders retail sales have been slow for me this year.
I will saw orders as long as I have logs that will work.
Today a small shed kit order and some 2x4x8 for camp repair.
Smiley likes the new mill sleeps by my station
Lots more mess piles up with the lt40

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday, I cut up a large 23" diameter x 14' ewp log. I needed some 5x5s for a timber frame shed.
And I also got an 8x8 and a fohc 6x8 out of the middle, for another timber frame project:

the customer is on his way over to pick these up today.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

Good looking wood there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

Today, I had to make some 5x5x8' timbers from the pieces I cut off that big log.
The 5" thick slabs were 14' long so I cut off 6' to sell as a bench/bar top, coffee table top or other project:

Just listed it on marketplace. I hope it sells soon.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WDH

Quote from: WDH on July 12, 2019, 08:45:07 PM
Howard,

I got some red maple logs today and one of them had that shake.  First time that I have seen that in maple.  You can see it on the third log from the left with a lot of heartwood.

Hmmm.  Oh well.  The end shown in the original pic was the end of the red maple 17' log.  I cut the 17' log into two 8'6" logs.  After about a week, they now look like this.  I picked this log because of the black in the heartwood hoping for some black streak in the lumber.  Oh well :).

nativewolf

@WDH that is the coolest example I have ever seen.  Sorry for the loss of wood..hope it was not expensive.  But..gosh if it were black locust I'd just finish splitting and pound them into the fence line.
Liking Walnut

Banjo picker

If you were to look up shake in the dictionary... that should be the picture you would see as an example.   :)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

You need to go to the FF dictionary and look up Shake or Ring Shake and post that picture. (Sorry, I posted this before I read Banjo's comment - at least great minds think alike).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

I think we need a new category called "Earthquake" for that one. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

Dang,Danny.  I think Elvis sang a song about those logs of yours.  Too bad.  I spent last Sunday evening burning a pile of what used to be thumper sized oak logs that I let sit around too long.  They are probably still burning.  Pop used to say, "Life is a big ole %$%$ sandwich and every day you take another bite", when things would go awry.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!