The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Mill or sell as a log?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Mill or sell as a log?
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 05:53:20 PM »
   BTW - why do you want to do anything with it? Why even cut it? Is it in the way or do you think it is deteriorating? 

I cut a couple of walnut snags last summer that had been dead on the stump as long as I have lived here (29 years in July) and, while the sap wood was gone, the heart wood was some of the prettiest I have ever cut. It looks to me like that butt log may be 8-10 ft of clear wood (If there is not an old fence buried in it ::) ). If you don't have a need or market for it I'd let it keep on growing. I have a lot like that on my place and I don't plan to cut them unless they fall or get sick (or somebody offers me enough for one for me and the wife to take another 4 week private tour to Southern Africa with the grandkids :D).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 08:11:05 PM »
Looking to make a little extra cash
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 08:50:36 PM »
   Then in answer to your original question, unless you had a lottery winner making you a ridiculous offer for the log, I would saw it. I would likely saw a 3"-4" live edge mantel or two out of the butt log and, depending on the quality, I'd sell them for $300 or so each. I'd saw the short piece between the limbs up higher into 2" thick live slabs and make primitive Mortise and tenon style benches or sell the slabs to woodworkers. I sold a couple about 4' long X 14-15 inches wide the other day for about $55 each for a woodworker to use as tops on tables with old metal sewing machine frames. I typically sell my air dried walnut for about $5/bf. I have some big stuff offered at $10/bf and contemplating raising the price as it has been air dried a year now. I generate a few 4/4 boards in the process hobby woodworkers come buy to make birdhouses and such. The problem with those items is they are slow moving. How long can you afford to wait for your return? I don't know how your market compares to mine.

Similar to what I sold for sewing machine table tops

Primitive live edge mortise and tenon benches. (Disclaimer - this one is actually very dark cherry with lichtenburg etching/engraving applied.) I'd be asking $200-$250 for a similar 3'-4' long walnut bench sanded smooth and with a tung oil finish.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline 123maxbars

• Share Post
    • www.outofthewoodsforestry.com
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 11:33:51 PM »
No way I would sale that one, saw it up, alot of value there after you dry it much more than if you just sold the log, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
W/M LT40HD, W/M KD150 Dehumidification Kiln Mahindra 4550, BMS 250 Sharpener, BMT 150 Setter, MS880 chainsaw mill,
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How to sell my mill.?

Started by choirboy on Sawmills and Milling

20 Replies
Last post November 14, 2005, 11:26:26 PM
by Paschale
xx
When you sell logs to a mill . . .

Started by Robert R on Forestry and Logging

19 Replies
Last post June 09, 2005, 08:11:52 PM
by Robert R
xx
OK to sell mill related items on here?

Started by dmcc on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post March 09, 2004, 05:41:08 PM
by Jeff
xx
Buy trailer, sell mill, get newmill????????

Started by bhub on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 05:44:52 PM
by sawmilllawyer