The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Cutting Straight, Staying Straight  (Read 1553 times)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Cutting Straight, Staying Straight
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »
I mean, the side the chain is on - as opposed to the side the crankcase cover is on. I thought I was keeping them the same length because i was counting strokes but the calipers told me I wasn't. My strokes were not equal on the two sides.
I don't use the caliper in the field or every touchup. Only before I work on the rakers.
That's pretty common, since most people are stronger with one hand than the other. Some folks get into the habit of taking an extra stroke when filing on their weaker side (the one where your cutters are coming out longer) to compensate.
I just eyeball my cutter lengths, and don't get all that worried of they are a bit mismatched. If you use a progressive tool for setting your depth gauges, keeping all your cutters the same length is far less critical.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline viking59

• Imported Norwegian Viking
    • Share Post
    • Live Life Like There Is No Tomorrow
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 06:23:46 AM »
Using a 372. I don't really care if the teeth are shorter or longer than others. I just make sure the bar is dressed properly (straight, 90 degr) and that the rakers are set right. I've cut with chains with teeth filed down to the line on some, while others are longer (mainly due to hitting nails or fence parts left in trees, and having to completely re-create work corner of the tooth). Just have a consistent raker depth, a square bar, and the saw will cut straight.

I usually machine sharpen after every 5-6 hand filings, unless the tooth lengths are very different across the chain, and require machine adjustments. I put the chains back on the machine grinder just to dress up angles.
Kubota MX5200 4WD HST / FEL, Woodmaxx WM-8H Hydraulic Chipper, Everything Attachment 6 ft Hog, Kingkutter 6 ft mower, Howse Disc Harrow. Husky 141, 55R, 372XP

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 08:34:47 AM »
Glad it's all working out for you. It all takes time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline mredden

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
Using a 372. I don't really care if the teeth are shorter or longer than others. I just make sure the bar is dressed properly (straight, 90 degr) and that the rakers are set right. I've cut with chains with teeth filed down to the line on some, while others are longer (mainly due to hitting nails or fence parts left in trees, and having to completely re-create work corner of the tooth). Just have a consistent raker depth, a square bar, and the saw will cut straight.

I usually machine sharpen after every 5-6 hand filings, unless the tooth lengths are very different across the chain, and require machine adjustments. I put the chains back on the machine grinder just to dress up angles.
I agree that the cutters don't have to be the same length as long as the rakers are set properly.   Nevertheless, I try (slightly obsessively) to keep all the cutters the same length (about about 1/32 in. tolerance) except where some have been damaged. That way, I can use a "consistent" raker setting - which is easier to maintain in the field than a progressive depth to each cutter/raker.
I had one chain that suffered barbed-wire damage to three successive cutters on one side. I cut those three back to a consistent size with each other. I did the same for the three cutters on the opposite side, then set all six rakers with a progressive depth gauge. cuts better than new.
Why do I worry about consistent cutter length while admitting that some can be shorter? Because I do use a "consistent" raker depth every where that I can and because I want to count strokes when doing fast field sharpening. I (generally) correct damage and set rakers progressively only in the shop. I like to leave in the morning with a chain that is as perfect as I can get it.
Using the Granberg, I hope to reduce my cutter length tolerance to about 1/64 in or less.
Anal? Yeah, maybe - but it makes me feel better when I'm milling super-hardwoods.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Ring Chains not staying straight.

Started by mf40diesel on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2017, 12:30:03 PM
by coxy
xx
New EZ Boardwalk Jr not cutting straight

Started by Darren on Sawmills and Milling

51 Replies
Last post October 20, 2018, 08:03:25 AM
by Darren
xx
Edger not cutting straight

Started by strunk57 on Sawmills and Milling

18 Replies
Last post March 03, 2020, 10:35:29 AM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
Alaskan Mill: 066: Saw not cutting straight?

Started by bandyfro on Chainsaws

13 Replies
Last post August 04, 2018, 07:52:47 AM
by maple flats