iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole saw

Started by Mad Professor, March 14, 2019, 06:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teacherman

Quote from: Mad Professor on March 14, 2019, 06:50:01 PM
I've got ~ 40 acres to deal with, electric is not going to "cut it", pun intended.

Besides a pole saw, I also need a brush cutter to deal with, a lot of invasives , as per my forest management plan: buckthorn, jap barberry, multiflora rose, bittersweet.  Plan is mechanical first, then chemical on resprouts.

I think I could put a brush cutter on my Husky string trimmer, it's a 326.  But would rather keep that dedicated to a string trimmer.
Professor,
I have a pair of HT133s, the dedicated Stihl pole saw. Bought new 2018, not used much. This has been discontinued, as there is an issue with the extension mechanism not sliding, or so I'm told. I am out of the tree biz, retired sort of, but I want to keep one of them. I plan to move to NH this summer, and if your locale is near there, I can bring both with. I think they are great saws, being lighter than the 131 and powerful. For brush, Stihl makes a round string trimmer blade with 3/8 picco saw teeth stamped into the one piece of steel. Sharpens easily, and the 4 mix has the torque to run it. I think I use an FS 90. My pref is for separate tools as there is weight and less pole saw length in the combi kit, and as you say, the battery wouldn't handle your acreage
I for one am quite pleased with the 4 mix power head, for waht it's worth

teacherman

I am a big fan of the "chainsaw on a stick." Reduces climbing risk and effort.

Mad Professor

Quote from: teacherman on March 03, 2020, 04:41:49 PM
Quote from: Mad Professor on March 14, 2019, 06:50:01 PM
I've got ~ 40 acres to deal with, electric is not going to "cut it", pun intended.

Besides a pole saw, I also need a brush cutter to deal with, a lot of invasives , as per my forest management plan: buckthorn, jap barberry, multiflora rose, bittersweet.  Plan is mechanical first, then chemical on resprouts.

I think I could put a brush cutter on my Husky string trimmer, it's a 326.  But would rather keep that dedicated to a string trimmer.
Professor,
I have a pair of HT133s, the dedicated Stihl pole saw. Bought new 2018, not used much. This has been discontinued, as there is an issue with the extension mechanism not sliding, or so I'm told. I am out of the tree biz, retired sort of, but I want to keep one of them. I plan to move to NH this summer, and if your locale is near there, I can bring both with. I think they are great saws, being lighter than the 131 and powerful. For brush, Stihl makes a round string trimmer blade with 3/8 picco saw teeth stamped into the one piece of steel. Sharpens easily, and the 4 mix has the torque to run it. I think I use an FS 90. My pref is for separate tools as there is weight and less pole saw length in the combi kit, and as you say, the battery wouldn't handle your acreage
I for one am quite pleased with the 4 mix power head, for waht it's worth
I might be interested if price is right and I don't find one meantime.
I've two places, S. Vt and far N. western Ma.

teacherman

We'll head out, going thru Troy NY late May, but route can be modified. Meeting a guy in Syracuse to drop off some 009 stuff and possibly sell an 056 M2, another of my faves.

hedgerow

Quote from: Treehuggers on March 03, 2020, 04:05:08 PM
Its a stihl brand. I got it from my dealer. It was 96$ cad. The one thing thats kinda fishy to me is the amount of stretch it has. Seemed like every third tank of gas it needs tensioned. I had to have a link taken out of it at about 20 cord mark. I have pics but i cant add an album. I had an excavator push over a tonne of trees last summer and the bark was packed with dirt and stones. The carbide was the answer. Makes my saw look like a dirt slop mess but still cuts straight. I upped the bar oil to help flush the grit away better. Im sure ill wear the bar out faster but ill pay that price for it. You could plant trees with it now too lol
We have the same problem sometimes trees have been taken down in the mud with a skid loader, track hoe or a track loader and that get a lot of mud in the bark. I will just have to spend $100 dollars and try one. I get tired of sharpening chains when we are bucking this kind of wood. 

Treehuggers

The carbide chain in my opinion for the dirt and grit its the way to go. I started with the one on my 026 and then got one for my ms360. I would even recommend it to a beginner sawyer for the reason of being in the dirt. If someone only uses an ms170 and cuts a wheelbarrow worth of sticks a year it would still be worth it. Great for yard clean up. 

hedgerow

Quote from: Treehuggers on March 04, 2020, 05:29:28 PM
The carbide chain in my opinion for the dirt and grit its the way to go. I started with the one on my 026 and then got one for my ms360. I would even recommend it to a beginner sawyer for the reason of being in the dirt. If someone only uses an ms170 and cuts a wheelbarrow worth of sticks a year it would still be worth it. Great for yard clean up.
I think you have sold me I am going to shop around and put one on my 461 that I normally run a 20 inch bar on it. We have some dirty wood to cut this spring before it's time to plant corn. 

Thank You Sponsors!