iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Siberian elm for flooring

Started by rooster 58, February 19, 2019, 10:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

So after moving to Colorado from Pa., my wife and I purchased some land to build our retirement home. I want to use my woodmizer to build our entire home.
    The one question on my mind was what wood to use for flooring,  as there is very little hardwood out here. However,  there is an abundance of Siberian Elm in the cities that can be readily had for next to nothing.
     Does anyone have experience with working with this specie? I've read where the elms don't dry flat, but after working them,  they stay flat. Do ya'll think this would make good flooring? Thanks guys

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Because the grain is so swirly, it is very, very hard to dry this flat.  The tendency to warp continues with dry wood IF THE MOISTURE CHANGES.  Moisture does change in most locations summer (9% EMC) to winter 6% EMC, but in your location we have very dry conditions throughout the year, so moisture changes will be small.  This species is also called Chinese elm.  Overall, it is not the best choice for flooring.  Why not use aspen?  It is a bit soft, so it will dent with high heels, but it does have character.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

rooster 58

I have thought about aspen, but the softness of  it may get punished by our German Shorthaired Pointers :D

rooster 58

How about silver maple? I can get that too

Thank You Sponsors!