iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas and diesel fuel transfer tank

Started by Firewoodjoe, March 24, 2019, 03:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Well I have one. 50 gal each. Just a big squat tank with a divider. I was thinking gas in one side and diesel in the other. What if it leaked from one to the other? Will a filter of some kind protect my skidder from gas? Or just don't use it for both?

DDW_OR

to the best of my "knowledge" a filter cannot separate gas from Diesel.
use a Borescope camera to see if there is any rust in the tanks.
dual tanks have been used for a long time.
DEFINITELY use a Water Separator Fuel Filter on the output of each tank.
"let the machines do the work"

BargeMonkey

You could pressure test it to make sure it doesnt leak from one side to the other, personally I wouldnt use a tank like that unless it has a segregated bulkhead, a couple gal of gas in 50gal of diesel would hurt something. Certain products you can "push" into the next, diesel into gas in limited quantity but not the other way. My fuel supplier is prohibited from loading kero on the same trailer as gas because of the horror show that can happen if a bulkhead failed. 

Firewoodjoe

Barge that's my thoughts. I know diesel is heavier than gas but WHAT IF.  I'll just use for diesel. Not worth an engine.

Ron Scott

Yes, definitely don't let them get mixed together.
~Ron

Corley5

Not all fuel transfer tanks are DOT approved for gasoline.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

OntarioAl

Firewoodjoe
Good call
Avoids the danger of someone pumping from the wrong tank
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

BargeMonkey

The biggest problem with gas, and even the newer ULSD is static accumulation, I'm not a fan of hauling 50+gal of gas just for that reason. The UEL/ LEL on gas is so broad it doesnt take much, people think it's a joke. The API on diesel of heavier, in a couple days it will settle out but it's not worth the risk unless it a newer tank and you trust it. I've never seen a truck tank that's DOT approved for gas, I'm sure they exist but big money. 

Firewoodjoe

Ok so what could I do with it lol. Connect the two? Air compressor tank? Cut it off? Used oil?(although I don't have much)

Skeans1

gspren

Diesel in both, connected or not depending on what's easier or more convenient for you.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Firewoodjoe

I thought about hydraulic oil but around here it's cheaper by the 5 gallon pail so that's not really convenient I'll probably just use diesel for both

DDW_OR

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on March 25, 2019, 08:21:43 AM
I thought about hydraulic oil but around here it's cheaper by the 5 gallon pail so that's not really convenient I'll probably just use diesel for both
good.
off road and road diesel

Road Diesel on the side the truck fuel cap is on.

Firewoodjoe

DDW_OR

maybe it is a sign to upgrade to a USED diesel truck.
2007 and older = no DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid)
that is why mine is an early 2007 Ram 3500 crewcab with the 5.9

Thank You Sponsors!