iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Full Time

Started by Deese, April 14, 2019, 01:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

You to sawing brother 
Enjoy
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Deese

Sawed 12x12x21's till noon, then ate a quick bite at dad's house and went for another log run. Came home with these 21 footers. All to be sawed into beams in the next few days. Left skidsteer on site, but will be back to load her up by 5AM. Got to saw more 12x12's and other stuff then deliver in Auburn (70 miles) by noon at the latest. Then going to get oak logs at a few other locations. It's hot! 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Woodpecker52

Before long will have own logging crew!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Deese

Haven't been on the forum the past week or three but things are super. Too much work for just one man so I've got an employee starting Monday, 5 days/week. I simply need someone to help me save steps throughout the day. The future looks bright and I am motivated. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Darrel

Wishing you all the best and all the fun too!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

thecfarm

Good luck with the new employee. :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Deese

Setting up on the new site this morning did not go smoothly but things turned out well in the end. It is in a residential area, front yard, 70 miles away. I visited the site about a month ago before the trees were dropped.  Big longleaf pine. The trees had to go because the customer is putting in a new driveway and the  roots have cracked the cement. The guy that dropped the trees also has a sawmill, so I got him to stage the logs for me a few days ago while I was working elsewhere. I arrived this morning to find 2 huge stacks piled 5-6 logs high. Move one log and it would have been an avalanche. Luckily he was working 2 houses down and he gladly relocated the logs where I wanted them. It was nice to meet someone roughly my age that enjoyed the same type of hard work as I...Great guy. 
I sawed around 500bf and then it began to rain, so I checked the radar and got the heck out of there. We will be back first thing tomorrow morning. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

WV Sawmiller

Semi-bummer dude. Drive 70 miles each way for 500 bf. Oh well, sounds like you are ready to kick it into high gear in the morning. I talked to a repeat customer this morning who wants me to come 50 miles and sit around and hope to saw between thunderstorms. I told him we'd watch the weather for a clear day. He only has about 1200-1400 bf so I plan to go, saw and return the same day. Actually I plan to drop the mill off on the way back for a job for another customer to reduce my expenses.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Deese

I charge for travel so it's all good. But yes sir, 500bf stinks. Hopefully tomorrow will be a great day
Cooks AE4P Edger

Peter Drouin

Some jobs are like that.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Hope that you have plenty of cotton picker spindle cleaner :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Deese

Quote from: WDH on June 18, 2019, 09:07:11 PM
Hope that you have plenty of cotton picker spindle cleaner :).
Guess I'll have to try that stuff. I've had good luck with really soapy water and a squirt of diesel every now and then. Only problem is that I go through LOTS of water and soap. Does it really cut back on water usage that much in really pitchy pine?
Cooks AE4P Edger

Southside

Try mixing in some of the RV anti freeze too.  Red stuff, Tractor Supply has it for $2.50 ish a gallon.  On plain old Lob I run that at 1 gallon per water jug and keep my lube mizer on the lowest setting, bands come off clean.  It's non toxic and has a solvent in it which is why it works.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Not tried the RV antifreeze, but the cotton picker spindle cleaner really helps.  Be sure and get the cotton picker spindle cleaner, not the cotton picker spindle lube.  You can get it at the John Deere dealer but you can order it on-line for about half the John Deere price.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Arkyrick

There you go trying to be Happy for the rest of your Life! Well I think you may have just done it😊
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

Woodpecker52

Just run a separate tank and line for diesel fuel, sometimes I will start with diesel, then add the water and after the cut kick a little  fuel on the blade to clean. Never had a problem with it and v belts.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Deese

Just got home from a long, but good day. Haven't had a chance to tally it up yet but it's around 2mbf I'm guessing. Not bad but can do better. About halfway through the logs. I'm taking tomorrow off and spending the day with my boy. Sawing will continue Friday and most likely Saturday. I'm stretched thin...Got another nice portable job I've got to finish once I get the mill back home. I have cedar orders, 6 trailer decking orders, pine beam orders from 1 contractor, it's a great problem to have but I have discovered that no matter how hard I work, I can only do so much in a day...I am stumped. My productivity is unsatisfactory to put it nicely. In fact I am disgusted considering the energy and time I am investing in this. I have people throwing their money at me and I simply cannot provide my services fast enough. I am happier than I've ever been in my life and easily paying the bills but I can do so much better with this...And don't give me the "work smarter not harder" bull...Anyways, here's 2 pics I had a chance to snap today. One was from this morning and the other is a 30' gooseneck that has a bunch of nice lumber piled on it. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Southside

I don't think it's so much work smarter as it is finding the balance of what you can do, what you need to do to keep the bills paid and the customers still coming in, and what you can afford to do equipment wise.  I was buried with my 35, so I bought a 70 thinking it would free me up more - nope, just as buried as I was before, now with more happening in the same time frame.  Not complaining, just saying there is no silver bullet answer.    
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

You should seriously think about raising your prices. 

YellowHammer

Quote from: Deese on June 19, 2019, 11:08:25 PMI have discovered that no matter how hard I work, I can only do so much in a day.

In fact I am disgusted considering the energy and time I am investing in this. I have people throwing their money at me and I simply cannot provide my services fast enough.
You are in the next phase of your business and it needs to be addressed for it to thrive.

This is a problem every successful business with a desirable product undergoes, and certainly one we have dealt with. So congratualtions, your business is doing well.  

1.  You know you daily production rate.  It may not be as high as you desire, but you are at a wall, and it is there.

2.  You are stretched thin, meaning you have exceeded, or are at your maximum production capability with your current setup and business model.

3.  You are paying the bills, I.e. making a profit so you know your required gross and net income.  You are not losing money or in a net deficit.

4.  You will continue to get more and more jobs as your business gets more exposure and good word of mouth, so the problem will get worse, until you are turning away customers.  However, you may already be losing some due to booking delays.

The answer is simple, you need to raise your price until some of your customers back off and turn away.  This is a normal price vs production trade study that most big businesses address quarterly in their board meetings.

Until then you are too inexpensive.  Your customer base may change, but your business will make make more money per job and whatever customers you lose will be replaced with new ones.  

Adjust your prices reasonably, so you will make more money and work less.  Or you can make even more money by working the same amount.  

You "have people throwing money at you" so catch it.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

red

Buy a used LT70 and edger
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Old Greenhorn

I like Yellowhammers response. I have never been in this situation, BUT I do know of a local fella that is. He has a well service business, he does everything but drills wells and he contracts that part out to another reputable fella. This guy gets more work than he can handle. His prices are a little higher than many around here, but he is the best. He may keep you waiting for 'elective' work, but if you have an emergency (no water, lightening strike, etc) he is there in no time, and he comes to play. none of that "well,  I have to go back to the shop for a part" and you don't see him again for 3 hours nonsense. He has done my well pump twice, (both times on a Sunday) full change out both times on a few hours notice, and he was done in 3 hours, new pump, pipe, and wires, packed up and moved on. When folks ask for a reference, I tell them to call Tony. They say, oh, 'he has a list' and I say 'yup, there is a reason for that, call Tony.' I don't mind paying what he asks, he is always top shelf work and done quick because he is busy. he guarantees his work. I don't mind waiting either, because I know I am on his list and he WILL get to me. All the contractors I know feel the same about him and use him unless their customer makes other demands or are in a hurry.
The point is, if this is how you are perceived, folks will pay a little more or wait a little longer. The ones shopping for price alone will always find somebody cheaper or available now, and they will get what they paid for, which is not the kind of service you render.
Count me as another vote for a price raise. Make hay when the sun shines.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Woodpecker52

It becomes a matter of scale do I add equipment and manpower to increase production and market or increase price and stay same size.  Farmers face it every day, get big or get out, they have little control over prices so they have to scale up and increase productivity.  The only way to cut more wood is to spend less time hauling the equipment etc.  Stationary mill, edgers, planners, kiln, lumber sheds, manpower, lifts, log storage etc. marketing etc. log purchasing etc. it becomes a cycle.  It is hard to do it on your own. Look at how the successful guys on this forum do it and the advantages of stationary and selling wood products vs service cutting.  It is ideal to be the own man and try to control the variables but the most successful men I have met are the coach type businessmen who put together a team around them and manage they usually find out its the team that is bringing a lot of the success.

Crusarius

Raise price less work still same income. Now you have time to breathe and spend with your family. 14+ hours days is bs! your body will fail sooner than later.

My biggest complaint I have from when I was a kid was the lack of time I got to spend with my dad. Either due to work or other. Don't let that be any of your kids regrets.

If you really want go ahead and upgrade your mill. But keep in mind now that is another expense you need to cover which means you need to raise your prices but still continue your same work load. In my opinion upgrading the mill is not something I would look into at this time.

Thank You Sponsors!