iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Full Time

Started by Deese, April 14, 2019, 01:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

You never fail to surprise me, John Frank.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Deese

It's been a busy year. I wonder how many miles I've walked inside this barn. It's time for a golf cart. My feet hurt. 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Crossroads

I like your setup and glad you're doing well. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WDH

That boy is a go-getter.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Deese

One of the reasons there have been so many successful immigrant entrepreneurs throughout our country's history is because of fear. They had nothing to fall back on. There is absolutely nothing more powerful than a man motivated by fear. Nothing. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Andries

Agreed, Deese.
Fear does wonders to kickstart all of us into a 'fight or flight' high energy. 
However, that adrenalin is hot stuff and if it goes on for too long, people burn out.
The transition to the next long term motivator is key. They can be any of the following:
* Pride in workmanship or trade.
* Competition - beating out your competitor.
* Money. . . for your self and family. 
* Teamwork - building something larger than one man band.
* the list is endless.
My point is, start with the sprint, then shift gears to the marathon. 
And, btw, it looks like you could run a marathon in that lil' shed of yours. Nice!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Resonator

An old excavator operator told me years back: "It's a pace, not a race." Keep moving, but not so hard as to burn yourself out. And make sure to stop a moment and enjoy each day you have, what you have, and what is most important.  smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

customsawyer

I just call that "eating out of the bowl of have to soup."
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Deese

The snakes are really moving here. I saw another large rat snake last night while moving logs with skidsteer and just now killed this cottonmouth with my shovel. Less than 10 steps away from the mill. They are just plain nasty and mean. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Nebraska

Nice to see you posting here, enjoyed your thread ....Glad that snakes a good snake now.

Southside

My cows absolutely destroyed a copperhead last week. I was moving temporary paddock fence and there he was, hooved to pieces. Nobody seemed hurt. Funny how they know, never seen them harm a black snake. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Deese

Scaled things back the past few months and now back at it full time. Unstacking, edging, and deadstacking. Mainly 16' lengths. Did those yesterday. Sawing 20' beams, 2x6's and 1x12's next week. Yeehaw. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

I couldn't produce lumber this nice before the edger. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

Good for you my friend !!!  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Edgers are game changers. 

flatrock58

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

DWyatt

I for one am glad to see you posting again. The step into full-time sawing and more importantly business ownership is ballsy. Since purchasing the engineering/surveying company that I now own, I am continuously learning and I hope the same for you. As I tell everyone that takes the step you did back in 2019, I hope you enjoy every day and make obscene amounts of money, because you deserve it.

Deese

Got some nice pine logs coming in. 2 more loads coming tomorrow. 

14--4x12x18's are up next. This log illustrates what CustomSawyer has taught me over the years. When centering the pith, don't focus solely on pith location at each end of the log. Instead, use the cathedral grain pattern as your guide. Here you can see I've contained the pith in the center beam for the first 15'-16', and then it rises sharply upward. I've started practicing by measuring the cathedral grain at several points along the length of the cant and writing it with a lumber crayon. 

The pith rises into the top beam in the last 4' of the beam. It isn't ideal, but is the best option in this scenario. You can also see how the log was positioned so that any stress would be relieved as bow, not crook. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

The top beam appears to show crook, but that's just where I slid it over so that the camera would show where the cuts were made corresponding with the cathedral grain. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Andries

Nice work Deese, looks good.
I was jealous of the gigantic sawmill shed . . . until you posted the picture of the cottonmouth.   :D ;) :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

customsawyer

You're doing fine there whippersnapper.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Deese

Sawing some daggum hogs this morning. 
This one was 2 logs ago, squared out to be roughly 12x16x18 clear southern yellow pine. 

And should get 5 beams out of this one I just loaded. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Hey Jeff, notice anything new? 
I appreciate the stickers 👍
Cooks AE4P Edger

caveman

Looking good, JFD.  Those look like nice (loblolly?) logs.  You seem to be working smarter by using your toe boards to raise them and hopefully handle with your skid steer.  That one butt log looked like it was lightning struck or got some other injury somewhere along the line.  You have a lot of folks pulling for you and who enjoy seeing you have success.
Caveman

Deese

73--1x12x16' & 18's in ~4 hours. The Kubota did not like that lower bundle. Tight grain and very heavy lumber. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Thank You Sponsors!