The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Self made trailer title  (Read 1257 times)

Offline cliffreaves

• Full Member x2
  • Finally figuring things out.
    • Share Post
Self made trailer title
« on: April 19, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post this, but i just purchased a tandem axle trailer that was homemade years ago.  There is no title or tags that came with it. I'm wanting to modify it slightly into a log trailer with a winch and a loading arch.  Has anyone dealt with getting a title for a homemade trailer? I'm in Tennessee if that makes a difference. I couldn't really find clear guidelines online for what is required.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Self made trailer title
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 10:14:28 PM »
   Check with your state DMV. Different states have different rules and procedures. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline chet

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 10:34:36 PM »
Not sure about your state, but I've done it in Michigan several times and it is very easy. As was stated check with your local DMV.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 10:59:07 PM »
Chet,

It may be easy in your state but not in all. WV requires you to show where the axles come from and source data for them such as titles with axle serial numbers listed from mobile homes where they were used if that is the source, dealers like TSC provide such info with axles they sell, etc. A simple bill of sale is not enough as I understand. Some states make it very easy to register, others don't.

The steps from the state DMV should be very clear but they may not be that easy to comply with. In some cases it may be easier to register in another state and then transfer to your state. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline low_48

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 11:45:36 PM »
In Illinois you have to have the state police inspect the trailer and attach a tag. 

Offline chet

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 08:05:04 AM »
I've never had to get one inspected, but was required to provide a weight slip. None of these trailers were ever over 10,000# units, so that may have been the difference with inspection requirements.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 08:13:31 AM »
Looking the TN DMV, they have an application for inspection of home built trailers and a process that leads to title and registration.

Self built trailer

Application

Requirements
HM126

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 08:15:45 AM »
In some cases it may be easier to register in another state and then transfer to your state. Good luck.
Happy Birthday Chet!
It's fairly common around here to see trailers with Maine tags. I don't deal with trailers, and don't know why, but there's probably some decent reason for it. Might be something to look into.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 08:16:43 AM »
Chet,

Happy birthday. Part of our state registration also includes HP inspecting the trailer and i think the state provides a serial number that has to be embossed in the tongue near the hitch.
Howard Green

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 08:27:03 AM »
It would probably be better to get the title while it's still a "utility trailer".  Once it becomes a "log trailer" it probably opens up deeper levels of pain and suffering.

Online dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 08:57:53 AM »
In some cases it may be easier to register in another state and then transfer to your state. Good luck.
Happy Birthday Chet!
It's fairly common around here to see trailers with Maine tags. I don't deal with trailers, and don't know why, but there's probably some decent reason for it. Might be something to look into.
In NY, if the truck/vehicle  pulling the trailer has Commercial Plates, the owner is considered a resident of NY and cannot meet residency in Maine to apply Maine plates to the trailer.  (Excludes Commercial tractors) The Maine Plate angle is/was about saving $$.  NY State Police came to our office for  Commercial Driver refresher and training and they advised they are looking for this all the time.  (FWIW, that was a few years ago).
D

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 09:27:57 AM »
   I am surprised people are running out of state plates on their trailers. What I was saying is it is sometimes easier to get a friend or family member to register the trailer in one state then transfer the registration. It is often easier to transfer a title from one state to another than to register from scratch in selected states. 
Howard Green

Online Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 10:10:04 AM »
In Maine there is a whole business of "Agents" who provide you with a mailing address and they take care of trailer registration for a fee.  Maine has dirt cheap trailer registration along with semi and permanent registration.  Even with the agent fee it's still much cheaper to register a trailer there in most cases, which is why you see so many semi trailers registered there when the truck is completely different.  

Nothing illegal in Maine about it, all they care is they get their money.  Like dgdrls said New York was getting upset about it a few years back, have a friend who said the same thing at the time, because they realized they were loosing money. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 02:09:24 PM »
In BC it would be inspected and registered as a homebuilt, not complicated at all. The police will ask questions if the tow vehicle and trailer plates don't match as the trailer may be stolen.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline cliffreaves

• Full Member x2
  • Finally figuring things out.
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 06:31:51 PM »
Thanks everyone. It looks like I'm going to have to make a few modifications before I try to get it registered, but it's stuff I was planning to do anyway.

Offline JJ

• Gotta figure this out
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 05:54:57 PM »
I registered a home made trailer in Maine with no trouble, just needed to provide serial/vin number; I gave it 000001 for serial since I have never seen another like it.

jj

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »
Another reason for the maine plates is to avoid the NYS yearly registration fee. They are also supposed to get a yearly inspection which most ppl do not worry about and from what I understand they are not enforcing yet.

When I bought my little 5x8 utility trailer I lived in AZ. I ended up with permanent plates. I will keep those plates :)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 07:19:11 PM »
   Good luck with that. I'd bet somewhere there is a byline that says they are permanent and valid as long as you are an AZ resident. I hope you are a smooth talker when a NY Smokey pulls you over wanting to hear why you are running NY plates on the vehicle and AZ plates on the trailer. BTW - I have permanent WV plates on my utility and boat trailer but I bet if I move to another state I have to change them. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :o
Howard Green

Online Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »
Unless he is commercial, or failed the attitude test, they probably won't care on a small trailer like that.  It's more of a tax thing and when NY was getting uppity about it most of the guys were in duallys that were getting targeted.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 07:15:22 AM »
Southside is correct. all the guys running 1 tons and hauling cars were the primary target. They may mess with me some day but they haven't yet. its been over 10 years.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Has anyone made removable hitch for WM trailer?

Started by flatrock58 on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post September 21, 2014, 02:16:09 PM
by flatrock58
xx
Kiln made from Semi-trailer

Started by hydeoutman on Drying and Processing

35 Replies
Last post April 10, 2016, 07:00:21 AM
by ScottCC
moved
MOVED: Kiln made from Semi-trailer